February

2014

Commandant Gen. James F. Amos: Corps is going sleeves up

Gen. James F. Amos

WASHINGTON -- Sergeants and Corporals,

Sgt. Maj. Barrett and I have now spoken to the majority of you about our efforts to "Reawaken the Soul of our Corps."  Each time that we have talked with you, we come away with a strong belief that you "get it."  You understand that our renewed focus on the four enduring principles of: DISCIPLINE; ADHERENCE TO STANDARDS; ENGAGED AND CONCERNED LEADERSHIP (24/7); and FAITHFUL OBEDIENCE TO ORDERS, is key to resetting the Corps and getting ready for tomorrow's fight.  You understand that those 4 principles define what we have called "The Soul of the Corps."  They have been with us for over 238 years...it's always been that way.

As we complete the mission in Afghanistan, it's critical to understand that there will be no "peace dividend" for America's Marines...there will be no operational pause for us.  The world that we will live and operate in over the next two decades will be a dangerous one; there will be plenty of work for those who wear our cloth.

As we have travelled throughout our Corps, many of you have let us know how important your identity as a Marine is to you and the Marines you lead.  I can't tell you how many times we have been asked the persistent question "Commandant, are we ever going to return to SLEEVES UP?"  I've thought a lot about this over the past 2 .5 years; I realize that it's important to you.  Sleeves up clearly and visually sets us apart.

WE HEAR YOU MARINES!

Because of the persistence of you, my Sergeants and Corporals, this evening I am publishing a MARADMIN that will return us to SLEEVES UP status when wearing our Desert CAMMIES in non-combat areas.   This will take effect on 9 March when we transition to our summer warmer weather uniforms.  Get the word out Marines.

Thank you for your leadership in some very challenging times!!!

Semper Fidelis

CMC/SMMC
Imagelegacy Imagemarines ImageReawakening Imagerolled ImageSleeves Imageuniform

14 Comments

• Cameron Garcia 8 days ago
    I've never been a Marine, served in the Army from 1969-1971; but one thing I've always liked about the Marines was their rolled up sleeves. Between their different field cammies, the Eagle/globe on the left breast pocket, and the rolled up sleeve, you could always tell who was a Marine by those uniform signatures..... Its nice to the return of the MARINES.
  • Garcia, M 49 days ago
    Ooh Rah! I've been out of the a Corps for 4 years now & she I heard we went sleeves down it broke my heart. The way we folded our sleeves differently from every other branch made us stand out even more than our title of MARINE. Thank you Commandant for bringing sleeves up back.
    Semper Fi.
    Garcia, M. Cpl USMC
  • TOPQ 50 days ago
    OUTSTANDING! that's what make the Marine Corps what it is WE ARE DIFFERENT! ooorahhhhhhhh...
  • Andy Hurt 50 days ago
    I was just thinking this morning about how practical "sleeves down" is. In the last 2.5 years, I never once thought: "you know, I wish I had my sleeves rolled right now." Staff NCOs and NCOs better not mess this up - I'm certain there are a ton of corporals and below (and Lieutenants) out there who have never rolled sleeves. Let's do this right, Marines. Staff NCOs inspect your NCOs and Company-grades, and NCOs do the rest. And for God's sake, wear sunblock.
  • B 50 days ago
    Having put 10 years in the Marine Corps first as enlisted then an Officer, and after having got out of the Corps a few years ago, with all due respect I thought that this ruling on sleeves was just petty and unnecessary to begin with.

The sleeves rule worked well for us in the 90's and in Iraq- up or down depending on climate and training. Don't mess with something that isn't broken, and let common sense be your guideline!
  • Sgt. Jevons "Retired" 50 days ago
    Sleeves up. Semper Fi.
  • SSgt Abadia 50 days ago
    This is amazing news, as we are called white sleeves in some place of the world. Thank you
  • John Thomas Michael Perry 50 days ago
    ""FINALLY; someone has put their ""FOOT DOWN"" let our MARINES stay the way they have been the last 238 Years, Respect and Honor for all of you, God Bless America !!! JTM Perry The Netherlands EUROPE
  • David 50 days ago
    4 enduring principles?! the only principles I remember are HONOR, COURAGE, and COMMITMENT. This commandant needs to remember why those are all the Corps needs.
  • David 50 days ago
    4 enduring principles?! the only principles I remember the cors living by is HONOR COURAGE and COMMITMENT.
  • Alexis 51 days ago
    Can we please roll greens?
  • J Duwayne 51 days ago
    Sleeves rolled up are a waste of time.
  • War Hammer 51 days ago
    Thank god. Curls for the girls!!
  • Donny Wilmot 51 days ago