NOTIFICATION OF WINDOWS 10 (WIN10) MIGRATION FOR THE MARINE CORPS HOSTED REAL-TIME AUTOMATED PERSONNEL IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM WORKSTATIONS (RAPIDS)
Date Signed: 8/16/2017
MARADMINS Number: 449/17
R 161355Z AUG 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC C4//
SUBJ/NOTIFICATION OF WINDOWS 10 (WIN10) MIGRATION FOR THE MARINE CORPS HOSTED REAL-TIME AUTOMATED PERSONNEL IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM WORKSTATIONS (RAPIDS)//
REF/A/MSGID/DOC/DOD DHRA DMDC MEMO/10JUL2017//
REF/B/MSGID/MSG/ DOD CIO MEMO/20NOV2015//
NARR/Ref (a) is Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) memorandum notifying all DOD Uniformed Services and Agencies of intent to upgrade RAPIDS workstations to WIN10. Ref (b) is the DOD mandate for migration of all Microsoft operating systems to WIN10.
POC/C. HESEMANN/CIV/C4 CYBERSECURITY/TEL: 703-693-3490/EMAIL: CHRISTINE.HESEMANN@USMC.MIL//
POC/M. STROZ/CIV/MRA MFP/TEL: 703-784-9529/EMAIL: MARY.STROZ@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This is a joint HQMC (C4) and MRA message and serves as notification to the Marine Corps of DMDC’s plan to upgrade all RAPIDS workstations to WIN10 between November 2017 and March 2018, per ref a.
2. DOD CIO policy, ref b, mandates all DOD information systems using Microsoft operating systems to use the WIN10 version. The DOD CIO established deadline to complete the upgrade is 31 March 2018.
3. DMDC is responsible for the upgrade of all Service/Agency hosted RAPIDS workstations. To the largest extent possible, installers will perform the migration. WIN10 compliant workstations will be reimaged in place. No compliant workstations will be replaced. RAPIDS sites that will not be supported by an installer will be sent self-install instructions.
4. DMDC will develop and control the upgrade schedule. Once available, the schedule will be sent via email from the Marine Corps RAPIDS Service Project Officer (SPO) to Marine Corps RAPIDS Site Security Managers (SSM). RAPIDS systems not upgraded at the scheduled time will be disabled until upgraded as the schedule permits.
5. The C4 Cybersecurity POC of this message will email the Media Access Controller (MAC) addresses to the RAPIDS site SSM a minimum of 10 business days prior to installer arrival for local action.
6. The RAPIDS site SSM will be responsible for coordinating any site closures and updates of the Media Access Controller (MAC) address for each workstation with the local G/S-6. SSMs will confirm MAC address update completion via email to the RAPIDS SPO and C4 Cybersecurity POC of this message no later than 2 business days prior to scheduled arrival of the installer.
7. RAPIDS is a DMDC owned and administered system. All scanning and patching is the responsibility of and completed by DMDC system administrators only. Marine Corps system administrators are not authorized to access RAPIDS workstations. DMDC will not provide vulnerability scans before or during the upgrade schedule. A copy of the ATO can be obtained by emailing the C4 Cybersecurity POC of this message.
8. Release authorized by BGen D. A. Crall, Director, Command, Control, Communications and Computers (C4) Department/Chief Information Officer of the Marine Corps.//