INTERIM FINANCIAL GUIDANCE FOR TABLET PURCHASES
Date Signed: 10/25/2017
MARADMINS Number: 591/17
R 251423Z OCT 17
MSGID/GENADMIN, USMTF, 2017/CMC WASHINGTON DC P&R (UC)/F0002//
SUBJ/INTERIM FINANCIAL GUIDANCE FOR TABLET PURCHASES//
REF/A/MARADMIN 464/17, FINANCIAL GUIDANCE FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) PURCHASES//
REF/B/DOD FMR, VOL 2A, CHAP 1//
REF/C/DON FMPM, CHAP 3//
POC/SHARI RITTER/CIV/UNIT: HQMC PR RFC/NAME: WASHINGTON DC/TEL: 703-614-0710//
POC/MITRA NYSTROM-NEWELL/CIV/UNIT: HQMC PR RFE/NAME: WASHINGTON DC/TEL: 703-695-5355//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This is a Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC), Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources (DC P&R) Message.
2. Background. On 22 AUG 2017, HQMC, DC P&R released ref (a), which provides financial policies for purchasing Information Technology (IT) and transitions the financial review function from P&R, RFE Branch to designated Command G-8/Comptrollers. Ref (a) assists designated G-8/Comptroller personnel in conducting financial reviews of IT Procurement Requests (ITPRs). It establishes the primary role of the financial review is to ensure correct appropriation(s) are identified for each ITPR in order to mitigate potential Antideficiency Act Violations (ADA).
3. Purpose. To provide interim financial management guidance to address the increasing needs of the Marine Corps to purchase tablets. This guidance is based on the expense-investment criteria found in refs (b) and (c) and will be updated as requirements for tablets are defined for use throughout the Marine Corps Enterprise.
3.A. Cancels only the inclusion of "tablets" in ref (a) Para 5.C.(6)(a).
4. Expense-Investment Threshhold. Tablets will be funded based on the application of the expense-investment criteria. The current expense-investment threshold is 250 thousand dollars.
5. System Unit Cost. The application of the expense-investment criteria is dependent on the concept of a system. A system shall be considered to exist if a number of components are part of and function within the context of a whole to satisfy a documented requirement. A validated requirement may not be fragmented or acquired in a piecemeal fashion in order to circumvent the expense and investment threshold.
5.A. The term ‘System unit cost’ applies to tablets being acquired in the following ways:
5.A.(1) Tablets purchased as a new system, i.e., the items are a part of and function within the context of a whole to satisfy a documented requirement; in this situation, the “system unit cost” is applied to the total cost of all tablets and other equipment being acquired as a new system;
5.A.(2) Tablets that are additions to or replacements within an existing system to address validated deficiencies or improve system performance (modifications); in this case “system unit cost” applies to the aggregate cost of all new equipment items being acquired in the same manner as a new system procurement;
5.A.(3) Tablets that function as stand-alone items, or as additions to or replacements within an existing system, but the items themselves are not characteristic of a system; in this case, the “system unit cost” applies to the individual equipment item.
6. Procurement, Marine Corps (PMC) funds will always be required in the following situations:
6.A.(1) Tablets that are centrally managed by a Program of Record (POR).
6.A.(2) Tablets that connect to the Marine Corps Enterprise Network (MCEN).
6.A.(2) Tablets that are components of a system with a “system unit cost” in excess of the expense-investment threshold.
6. Release authorized by LtGen Gary Thomas, Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources.