FY18-01 TEST PILOT SCHOOL (TPS) SELECTION BOARD ANNOUNCEMENT
Date Signed: 11/2/2017
MARADMINS Number: 610/17
R 020840Z NOV 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FY18-01 TEST PILOT SCHOOL (TPS) SELECTION BOARD ANNOUNCEMENT//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD: 20160531//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD: 20140918//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1542.3C, UNITED STATES NAVY/UNITED STATES AIR FORCE TEST PILOT SCHOOLS. REF B IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY.//
POC/M.AMSPACHER/LTCOL/XO/MAD PATUXENT RIVER/TEL: (301) 342-1421, DSN 342-1421, E-MAIL: MARK.AMSPACHER@NAVY.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. FY18-01 TPS Selection Board will convene on or about 17 Jan 18. The deadline for applications is 13 Dec 17.
2. FY18-01 TPS Selection Board will consider applicants for assignment to USNTPS class number 156 convening in Jan 19.
3. Aviators from the following type-model-series MOSs are encouraged to apply (read in four columns):
MOS TYPE CLASS QUANTITY
3.a. 7565 AH-1W/Z (NTPS class 156) 1
3.b. 7566 CH-53E (NTPS class 156) 1
3.c. 7523/25 F/A-18 (NTPS class 156) 2
3.d. 7518/09/23 F-35 (NTPS class 156) 1
3.e. 7588/XX UAS (NTPS class 156) 1
4. The following criteria for applicant eligibility will be used:
4.a. Applicants who are qualified for consideration:
4.a.1. Be a regular commissioned officer on active duty in the grade of captain.
4.a.2. Be a regular commissioned officer on active duty in the grade of major with less than 2 years of time-in-grade by the projected class convening date.
4.a.3. Be a designated naval aviator or naval flight officer.
4.a.4. A minimum of 1,000 flight hours by the projected class convening date.
4.a.5. Successful completion of college physics or mechanics and college level mathematics through calculus. Although not a requirement, a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, physical science, computer science, or mathematics fields is highly desirable.
4.a.6. All O-3 candidates must be PME complete for grade by projected class convening date.
4.b. Applicants who are not eligible for consideration:
4.b.1. Reserve commissioned officers.
4.b.2. Officers passed for promotion.
4.b.3. Officers serving on a Joint tour that have not met the minimum time on station requirements at least three months prior to class convening date.
4.b.4. Officers pending any medical or legal action that would knowingly preclude successful completion of the period of instruction and subsequent tour of duty.
4.b.5. Officers who have not completed their Commandants Career-Level Education Board (CCLEB) and Commandants Professional Intermediate Board (CPIB) utilization tour by 30 Sep 2018.
5. There is no minimum time on station requirement except for those officers in a Joint assignment. Command endorsement inside of the normal 24 months PCS time-on-station obligation will result in a gap for that command until that 24 month period has concluded. If an officer is selected prior to his/her normal rotation date, MMOA will attempt to provide a backfill. A commanders endorsement of the applicants letter of intent is considered acknowledgement of this situation. Negative endorsements should describe impact to the command if the officer is selected but will not preclude consideration.
6. Because of extensive pre-arrival training requirements associated with this curriculum, officers selected for TPS should expect to receive orders to report for duty several months prior to the official course convening dates provided in paragraph (2).
7. Eligibility Waivers. If a waiver is required to section 4.a requirements, it must be annotated on the online application questionnaire mentioned in paragraph (8.b). All waivers will be processed during the selection board. The requirement for a waiver should not be considered a disqualifier for favorable endorsements by the chain of command.
8. Application Requirements.
8.a. Current photo (within 1 year) contained in their OMPF.
8.b. Applicants should complete the entire online application questionnaire by navigating to: http:(slash)(slash)go.max.gov/TPS
8.b.1. Applicants must electronically submit a scanned "Letter of Intent" to apply for TPS to the Commanding Officer, Marine Aviation Detachment, Patuxent River. The letter of intent must be submitted via the applicants chain of command with endorsements through the first colonel (or O-6 equivalent) in Naval Letter Format. A sample letter of intent is provided on the webpage containing the online application questionnaire.
8.b.2. Command endorsements should specifically address the flying abilities and aviation leadership qualities of the applicant.
8.b.3. In the event an officer submits an application and is subsequently transferred, endorsements from the gaining command shall also be forwarded.
8.c. Digital copies of the following documents should be uploaded via the applicable fields in the online application questionnaire:
8.c.1. 1-page applicant military biography. Summarize military school experience, operational, flight and leadership experience, as well as other noteworthy personal experiences that would be of interest to the selection board.
8.c.2. Legible copies of official college transcript(s). There is no requirement to have official copies sent directly to the selection board from the educational institutions. Transcript(s) must show type of degree conferred and date conferred. Do not submit copies of diplomas.
8.c.3. Letters of recommendation (optional, maximum of five).
8.c.4. Letter of intent (refer to paragraph 8.b.1) and all endorsements.
9. Application Procedures.
9.a. The application deadline is 13 Dec 17.
9.b. Applicants are required to contact their PMOS monitor and notify them via phone or email of their intent to apply for TPS.
9.c. Those applicants unable to submit applications online may request an administrative action form application from the Executive Officer, Marine Aviation Detachment, Patuxent River, listed in POC paragraph. Submit hard copy applications to:
Marine Aviation Detachment
Attn: FY18-01 TPS Selection Board
22401 Cedar Point Road, Building 102
Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland 20670-1186
10. Prospective applicants are encouraged to informally contact the Executive Officer, Marine Aviation Detachment, Patuxent River for assistance during the application preparation process.
11. All applicants must submit a complete application package. Information contained in previous applications is not normally retained after the selection board.
12. Points of Contact:
12.a. Fixed Wing Field Grade Monitor, Maj Eric Scherrer, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: email@example.com
12.b. Fixed Wing Company Grade Monitor, Capt Kyle Bookhout, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
12.c. Rotary Wing Field Grade Monitor, Maj John Sax, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: email@example.com
12.d. Rotary Wing Company Grade Monitor, Capt Tim Nolan, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
12.e. Aviation Ground Field Grade Monitor, Josh Onuska, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: email@example.com
12.f. Aviation Ground Company Grade Monitor, Capt Nicolas Timm, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
14. Release authorized by MajGen Robert F. Castellvi, Director, Manpower Management Division.//