NATIONAL CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION MONTH
Date Signed: 2/21/2018
MARADMINS Number: 112/18
R 211537Z FEB 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/NATIONAL CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION MONTH//
POC/J. GRANT-RAMBERGER/CIV/UNIT: MFCP-2/-/TEL: 703-784-1288//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Every April, the Marine Corps community engages in events and activities in support of Child Abuse Prevention Month(CAPM)to raise awareness, promote service availability, and provide community education. The Office of the Secretary of Defenses theme for 2018 is “Strong Communities Strengthen Families.” The key messages include: be informed, be attentive, and be supportive.
2. Be informed. Knowledge of parenting and child development strengthens families. Build your families strength by asking questions, gaining knowledge, and developing parenting skills.
3. Be attentive. Consistent care and proper supervision may prevent accidents and help children thrive. It is the responsibility of all Marines to prevent child abuse and neglect. Pay attention at all times.
4. Be supportive. Caring words and small actions make a big difference. Reach out to parents and caregivers that are in need of support. Know your local resources and make referrals.
5. The Marine Corps community shows support for the 2018 CAPM by participating in local installation events and activities. Leadership support of these events is instrumental in making it clear, by word and deed, that child abuse and neglect will not be tolerated in the Marine Corps.
6. If you suspect a child is at risk or has been abused or neglected, report your suspicions immediately to the local Family Advocacy Program(FAP)office, Child Protective Services, or healthcare provider. Resources and services are available to everyone. For more information, contact your local installation FAP, New Parent Support Program, or Community Counseling Program. Help is also available at the Department of Defense Child Safety Hotline at 1-877-790-1197, Marine Corps DSTRESS Line at 1-877-476-7734, and Military OneSource at WWW.MILITARYONESOURCE.COM or 1-800-342-9647.
7. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force and will expire one year from the date published.
8. Release authorized by BGen K. W. Stein, Director, Marine and Family Programs Division.//