Date Signed: 12/19/2018
ALMARS Number: 035/18
R 190553Z DEC 18
MSGID/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. To all Marines, Sailors, Civilian Marines, and our families, I want to wish you a very happy holiday season. Our Marine Corps continues to answer the call of our Nation and stand the watch for freedom and democracy across the globe. We ask a lot of you, and you continue to deliver. I sincerely appreciate everything that all of you do for our Corps and our Nation.
2. For Marines and Sailors deployed around the globe supporting operations and partnering with allies, we thank you for your commitment to the mission and ask you to remain resolute in the task at hand. Your sacrifice allows our citizens to celebrate the liberties and freedoms of our great Nation during this holiday season. Consistent with our Nation's traditions, we hope you will celebrate the holiday season with your extended Marine Corps family.
3. With the holiday season upon us, many Marines will be traveling to see family and friends. In FY18, nine of the 15 mishaps during the holiday season were single vehicle accidents caused by fatigue or distracted driving. In five instances, the driver was not wearing a seatbelt. If you are traveling, plan your trip so you are not tempted to speed or drive fatigued. If you consume alcohol do not drive. Refrain from the distraction of using your phone while driving, and always wear a seatbelt. We have lost far too many Marines and Sailors to avoidable tragedies this past year. We need every member of the team to return safely after this holiday season.
4. As Marines we are committed to always taking care of each other. All of us share a unique bond of service and are part of the Marine Corps family. Leaders must ensure every Marine has the opportunity to celebrate the holidays with their civilian or Marine Corps family. Reach out and extend an invitation to have unaccompanied Marines share a day with you and your family.
5. Take pride in bearing the title “Marine” and serving as an example for others to emulate. Please enjoy your holiday season. Take time to reflect on your personal and professional accomplishments this year, and consider what your goals are for next year. Relax, recharge, and refocus. Come back to your units ready to fight and win in 2019! PWYE.
6. Happy Holidays! Robert B. Neller, General, U.S. Marine Corps, Commandant of the Marine Corps.//