SOLICITATION FOR NOMINEES FOR THE FISCAL YEAR (FY) 2018 MAJOR GENERAL W.P.T. HILL MEMORIAL AWARDS PROGRAM FOR FOOD SERVICE EXCELLENCE, FOOD SERVICE SPECIALIST OF THE YEAR
Date Signed: 4/16/2018
MARADMINS Number: 219/18
R 161940Z APR 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC L LF//
SUBJ/SOLICITATION FOR NOMINEES FOR THE FISCAL YEAR (FY) 2018 MAJOR GENERAL W.P.T. HILL MEMORIAL AWARDS PROGRAM FOR FOOD SERVICE EXCELLENCE, FOOD SERVICE SPECIALIST OF THE YEAR//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MCO 10110.14N/YMD: 20180307//
POC-1/OLIVER, DERRICK/CAPT/UNIT: MCICOM G-4/LFS/TEL: 703-604-4171//
POC-2/BLANTON, BRIAN/MGYSGT/UNIT: MCICOM G-4/LFS/TEL: 703-604-4159//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Situation. This MARADMIN solicits nominees for Food Service Specialist of the Year award in the following categories (1) Active duty Corporal through Sergeant (2) Reserve Corporal through Sergeant (3) Active duty Staff Sergeant through Gunnery Sergeant and (4) Reserve Staff Sergeant through Gunnery Sergeant. The Food Service Specialist of the Year recognition is an integral part of the FY18 MajGen W.P.T. Hill Awards Program for Food Service Excellence, co-sponsored by the National Restaurant Association Military Foundation (NRAMF). The Director, Food Service and Subsistence Program (MCICOM G-4 LFS) will convene a board of Senior Enlisted Staff Non-Commissioned Officers during May 2018. This board will review nominations and forward recommendations to the Assistant Deputy Commandant for Installations and Logistics (Facilities) for approval.
2. Mission, Recognize demonstrated leadership, culinary expertise, and award winning capabilities of Marine Corps Food Service specialists for their superior personal initiative and professional commitment to excellence.
3. Execution. Request Commanders and Commanding Generals nominate Food Service Specialists (MOS 3381) using the eligibility and award criteria listed below NLT 15 May 2018.
3.a. Concept of Operation. Base, Station, and Operating Force Commanders shall use the following prerequisites to submit nominations:
3.b. Nominee must be submitted in one of the following categories:
3.b.1. The rank of Corporal to Sergeant (active duty).
3.b.2. The rank of Corporal to Sergeant (reserve).
3.b.3. The rank of Staff Sergeant to Gunnery Sergeant (active duty).
3.b.4. The rank of Staff Sergeant to Gunnery Sergeant (reserve).
3.c. Nominee must have a minimum of two years time in service.
3.d. Nominee must meet all regular retention standards.
3.e. Nominee must not be a previous recipient of this award.
3.f. Nominee, through personal example, must set professional and personal standards that others seek to emulate.
3.g. Nominee must epitomize the Whole Marine concept through performance achievements in basic warfighter skills as well as within the Food Service Specialist MOS.
3.h. The award period encompasses only those actions occurring within FY17.
4. Nominating Commands. Forward top candidate for each category in paragraph 3.b IAW guidelines in paragraph 5 from the following commands:
4.a. Commander, Marine Corps Installations National Capital Region (MCI-NCR) Submit nominations from the National Capital Region (NCR) Bases, Stations and other Marine Corps activities. Applicable organizations include MCB Quantico, Camp Allen Norfolk, VA, Marine Corps Enlisted Aide Program, and 8th and I Marine Barracks Washington.
4.b. Commanding Generals MCI-WEST, MCI-EAST and MCI-PAC.
4.c. Commanding Generals I MEF, II MEF and III MEF.
4.d. Commanding General, TECOM.
4.e. Commander, MARFORRES: Submit nominations from organizations throughout MARFORRES.
4.f. All nominating Commands are highly encouraged to convene boards at each Command level to determine the best Marines in each category.
5. Commanders and Commanding Generals will submit final nomination packages to the Assistant Deputy Commandant for Installations and Logistics (Facilities), Attn: Food Service and Subsistence Section POCs NLT 15 May 2018. Nomination packages will consist of the following:
5.a. Official promotion styled photograph taken within six months of the board date (uniform Service C).
5.b. Official command styled photograph (uniform: Service A).
5.c. Single page biography stating nominee’s experience and work history.
5.d. Summary of Action (SoA) supporting the nominees qualifications for the award. The SoA should include results of local or Command-sponsored Chef of the Quarter and Chef of the Year competition results, Field Food Service experience and deployment history.
5.e. Copy of current Basic Individual Record (BIR). MOL copy acceptable.
5.f. Copy of current basic training record. MOL copy acceptable.
5.g. All submissions must be endorsed by Commands listed in paragraph 4.
6. Late submissions and nominations from subordinate Commands will not be accepted.
7. All packages will include the nominating units address, point of contact, and phone number (COMM/DSN). The mailing address for all nomination packages is:
Installations and Logistics Department
Facilities and Services Division (LF)
Logistics Facilities Services Branch (LFS)
ATTN: Food Service and Subsistence Section
Naval Support Facility-Arlington
701 S. Courthouse Road
Building 12, Rm 2J155
Arlington, VA 22204-2469
8. Command and Signal.
8.a. Ensure widest dissemination of this message within the MARFOR and MARFORRES.
8.b. Direct all questions concerning this MARADMIN to the message POCs.
8.c. Winners will be announced via SEPCOR. The winners will be recognized and receive their awards during the Armed Forces Forum for Culinary Excellence held at the Culinary Institute of America, Greystone Campus, Napa Valley, California. The dates for this year’s forum will be announced via SEPCOR.
9. Release authorized by MajGen Vincent A. Coglianese, Assistant Deputy Commandant Installations and Logistics (Facilities).//