INTERIM GUIDANCE ON THE FUNDING OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE PROGRAM
Date Signed: 7/12/2018
MARADMINS Number: 389/18
R 121033Z JUL 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/INTERIM GUIDANCE ON THE FUNDING OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE PROGRAM//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1520.9G W/CH1, SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAM (SEP).
REF B IS MCO 1560.19E, W/CH1 ADVANCED DEGREE PROGRAM (ADP). REF C IS
SECNAVINST 1520.7F, LAW EDUCATION PROGRAM. REF D IS MCO 1300.8,
MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY. REF E IS MCO 1900.16
W/CH1, MARINE CORPS SEPARATION AND RETIREMENT MANUAL
POC/SCOTT A. HUMR/MAJ/MMOA-3/USMC/DSN 278-9285/TEL (703)784-9285 EMAIL: SMBMANPOWEROFFICERPR@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce interim guidance for funding of the Advanced Degree Program (ADP) until a forthcoming rewrite of reference (a) redefines SEP and ADP under the framework of Marine Corps Graduate Education Programs (MCGEP) and to provide updated guidance for tuition payments, book stipends, and other authorized payments or reimbursements for SEP and ADP.
2. The Marine Corps uses the ADP to fill validated requirements that require the following graduate-level degrees:
Masters of International Law 4405
Masters of Environmental Law 4406
Masters of Labor Law 4407
Masters of Procurement Law 4408
Masters of Criminal Law 4409
Masters of Cyber Law 4417
Education Officer 8802
3. Tuition. Tuition and associated academic fees, not to exceed amounts published annually via official message, will be paid directly to each university. Tuition rates are based on rates published by the National Center for Education Statistics. Marines are encouraged to seek acceptance to schools with tuition rates at or below the published amount.
3.a. ADP tuition for Marines slated for ADP as a result of the FY19 Commandants Education Boards may not exceed 17,500 dollars per year for degree programs lasting up to two-years. Any tuition cost exceeding 17,500 dollars per year for degree programs lasting up to two-years will be borne by the Marine.
4. Marines slated for ADP or SEP as a result of the FY19 Commandants Education Boards may submit requests for tuition payments to the Occupational Field Manager via AA Form (NAVMC 10274). The tuition invoice and MARADMIN selecting the student must be submitted with the AA Form.
5. Book Stipends. Marines participating in ADP and SEP will rate one book stipend per academic year. Stipend rates will be published via official message on an annual basis.
5.a. FY19 annual book stipend rate is 400 dollars per academic year, paid once per year. Book stipends will be paid once per academic year. Marines enrolled in ADP and SEP must provide documentation at the beginning of each academic year, demonstrating full-time enrollment, to the Occupational-Field (OccFld) Manager via AA Form (NAVMC 10274) in order to receive the stipend.
6. Application Fees. Marines participating in ADP or SEP may submit claims for reimbursement for school application fees to the OccFld Manager via AA Form (NAVMC 10274). A receipt showing a 0.00 dollar balance and the selection MARADMIN or a copy of official orders to the ADP must accompany the AA Form.
7. Maximum allowable reimbursement for application fees will not exceed 300 dollars. Application fees exceeding 300 dollars will be borne by the Marine.
8. Officers who have participated in ADP prior to FY19 are not eligible to submit for reimbursement.
9. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
10. Release authorized by C. F. Swain, Deputy Director, Manpower Management Division.//