SECOND PHASE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE DEFENSE TRAVEL SYSTEM (DTS) FOR THE RESERVE COMPONENT (RC)
Date Signed: 11/16/2018
MARADMINS Number: 659/18
R 161630Z NOV 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/SECOND PHASE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE DEFENSE TRAVEL SYSTEM (DTS) FOR THE RESERVE COMPONENT (RC)//
REF/A/DOC/CMC RA/YMD: 20170524//
REF/B/DODI 5154.31, VOL.3//
REF/C/DOC/CMC RA/YMD: 20170830//
RFE/D/DOC/CMC RA/YMD: 20171130//
NARR/REFERENCE A IS MARADMIN 258/17, DEFENSE TRAVEL SYSTEM RESERVE IMPLEMENTATION BOARD (DTS-RIB). REFERENCE B IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 5154.31, VOLUME 3. REFERENCE C IS MARADMIN 485/17, ISSUANCE OF GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CHARGE CARDS (GTCC) FOR RESERVE COMPONENT PERSONNEL. REFERENCE D IS MARADMIN 651/17, IMPLEMENTATION OF THE DEFENSE TRAVEL SYSTEM (DTS) FOR THE RESERVE COMPONENT (RC)//
POC/R.F. WILLIAMS III/LTCOL/RAP-1/TEL: 703-432-9203/EMAIL: ROBERT.F.WILLIAMS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN is to promulgate the DTS for the RC (DTS-R) project second phase guidance and project closeout criteria.
2. Background. In February 2017, the Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs (DC, MRA) directed the RC to utilize DTS for all supported travel. DC, MRA tasked Manpower and Reserve Affairs (MRA) to lead the effort and stand up a project team. By May 2017 MRA issued reference A to announce the creation of the DTS- RIB and identified the subject matter expertise required to address the DC, MRA directive. In November 2017, MRA published reference D to set conditions and establish the first project phase for determining the Marine Resource Order Writing System (MROWS) call- to-duty order type integration criteria with an associated methodology for fiscally responsible individual travel and per diem entitlements associated with RC DTS usage. During the week of 15 October 2018 the DTS-R project team conducted an enterprise-wide working group to assess first phase outcomes and the conditions for completing the project and transition to ongoing operations.
3. Mission. No later than (NLT) 1 February 2019, MROWS orders- types for school, active duty for operational support (ADOS) RC, ADOS active component (AC), and individual annual training (AT) issued to Selected Reserve (SelRes) Marines that require individual official travel will use DTS for requesting, scheduling, and reimbursement. This is not applicable to MROWS Orders that identify group travel. Active Reserve SelRes members are also omitted.
a. Commander’s Intent. The DTS-R project sets initial conditions for SelRes use of DTS in compliance with reference B and DC, MRA direction. DTS-R project end state is to develop a controlled and financially responsible method that aligns SelRes MROWS call-to-duty orders with required and appropriate individual travel and per diem entitlements for the RC when using the Department of Defense (DoD) travel system of record, currently DTS.
b. Concept of Operations. The DTS-R project team will establish, test, and validate an initial system integration methodology along with corresponding procedures and appropriate policy updates for SelRes use of DTS. The DTS-R project employs a phased approach to address these objectives in a controlled and responsible manner.
4.b.1 Phase 0 started on 15 November 2017 to initiate the project and form the project team for establishing system integration methodology testing and planning criteria.
4.b.2 Phase 0 ended on 12 January 2018 having addressed all initial project initiation objectives and determined the level of effort required to provide individual SelRes travel and per diem entitlements for select MROWS call-to-duty order types and subtypes necessary for meeting the DC, MRA directive, while also establishing minimum requirements for initial operational capability (IOC), as defined in paragraph 3.
4.b.3 Phase 1 started 16 January 2018 to examine system integration and validate procedural requirements for ADOS-RC, School and Professional Military Education (PME) MROWS call-to-duty order types and subtypes for individual SelRes travelers and RC units using DTS in accordance with reference D.
4.b.4 Phase 1 is complete once the DTS-R project team verifies the methodology and procedural approach for funds management and reconciliation of individual travel and per diem entitlements for the identified MROWS order types and subtypes are sufficient. Target date is 31 January 2019.
4.b.5 Phase 2 is scheduled to begin on 1 February 2019 and sets the conditions for completing the DTS-R project for the SelRes community by including the Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Program SelRes members and validating the approach for adding additional MROWS call-to-duty order types.
4.b.6 Phase 2 is complete once the SelRes community is capable of meeting IOC conditions along with an approved transition plan to an agency identified by the Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources (DC, P&R) capable of supervising ongoing operational support and maturing SelRes usage of DTS. Target date is 22 March 2019.
4.c.1. Marine Forces Reserve (MarForRes).
4.c.1.a. No later than (NLT) 3 December 2018 provide MRA an information paper on any additional manpower requirements for RC DTS quality assurance or associated funds management.
4.c.1.b. NLT 14 December 2018 provide MRA a final copy of all DTS-R project related training materials and aids.
4.c.1.c. NLT 30 January 2019 confirm to MRA all required funds management and reporting capabilities are in place and operational for meeting IOC.
4.c.2. Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources, Manpower Budget Branch.
4.c.2.a. When required provide reconciliation support to ensure pay and allowances and per diem and travel accuracy in accounting system.
4.c.2.b. Coordinate with Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources, Finance Branch to assist with developing enterprise funds management MROWS and DTS system allocation and reporting requirements.
4.c.2.c NLT 30 January 2019 confirm to MRA all required funds management and reporting capabilities are in place and operational for meeting IOC.
4.c.3. Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources, Finance Branch (RFF).
4.c.3.a. Coordinate with Deputy Commandant for Programs and Resources, Budget Branch to assist with developing enterprise funds management MROWS and DTS system allocation and reporting requirements.
4.c.3.b. NLT 7 December 2018 provide MRA recommended enterprise funds management MROWS and DTS system reporting requirements.
4.c.3.c. NLT 30 January 2019 confirm to MRA all required funds management and reporting capabilities are in place and operational for meeting IOC.
4.c.3.d. Ensure MROWS programming, including cover sheet functionality, is tested and ready per IOC criteria NLT 30 January 2019.
4.c.4. MRA, Manpower Branch, IMA Program Management.
4.c.4.a. NLT 31 December 2018 report to MRA that all SelRes DTS profiles are complete and incorporated into the appropriate DTS-R organization for all assigned IMA SelRes members.
4.c.4.b. Coordinate as needed with IMA Program Operational Sponsors and ensure Line of Accounting (LOA) loaded and funding structure established to support determination of IOC.
4.c.4.c. NLT 30 January 2019 confirm to MRA all required funds management and reporting capabilities are in place and operational for meeting IOC.
4.c.5. MRA, Reserve Affairs Policy (RAP) Branch.
4.c.5.a. NLT 30 November 2018 coordinate with DC, P(and)R for making all policy refinements and updates to support DTS-R.
4.c.5.b. Determine when the SelRes community is capable of meeting IOC conditions and provide a transition plan to an agency identified by the DC, P&R for ongoing operational support and conceivable expanded SelRes usage of DTS. Target date is 22 March 2019, and final condition for declaring Phase II complete.
d. Coordinating Instructions.
4.d.1. All coordinating instructions provided and published in Reference D are still in effect.
5. Administration and Logistics. DTS-R reference materials can be found at the following website: https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/DTSSupport/pages_page1DTS-R references.
6. Command and Signal. MRA (RA) remains the lead agency for this initiative. Contact the point of contact for more information.
7. Release authorized by Lieutenant General M. A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//