2019 AMERICAN LEGION SPIRIT OF SERVICE AWARD NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Date Signed: 5/28/2019
MARADMINS Number: 312/19
R 281905Z MAY 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC CD WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/2019 AMERICAN LEGION SPIRIT OF SERVICE AWARD NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS//
REF/A/AMERICAN LEGION AWARDS MANUAL:/WWW.LEGION.ORG/AWARDSMANUAL//
POC/R. CLOSE/CIV/CMC WASHINGTON DC CD/TEL: 703-614-1034/ EMAIL: ROBERT.D.CLOSE@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN announces that nominations are being accepted for the 18th Annual American Legion Spirit of Service Award. This award is presented annually to an enlisted member (E5 and below) from each of the military services for outstanding volunteer service performed off duty in their local community. The awards are presented during the American Legion's National Convention which will take place in Indianapolis, IN 23-29 August 2019.
2. Nomination criteria. Nominations must be fully substantiated and reflect a careful and conscientious evaluation of the nominee.
A. Primary criteria is the level of volunteer community service that the Marine performs off-duty in a local community. Nominations should also show how the community has benefitted from the U.S. Marine Corps. Volunteer service must be within calendar year 2018. Volunteer service must reflect number of volunteer hours and the organization’s name where the nominee provided the service as well as the activity (i.e. provided 38 hours at XYZ, as a soccer coach; spent 10 hours at Library XX reading to children). This information must be provided as part of the bio-sheet and will be considered when evaluating nomination packets.
B. The bio-sheet must reflect that the nominee was E-5 or below during the period from 1 January–31 December 2018.
C. Nominations must include the nominee’s full name, rank, military occupation specialty (MOS), current duty station, unit address, work phone number, home of record, and a work email address.
D. If selected, additional personal information will be required by the American Legion for travel coordination for the awardee.
3. Additional enclosures. In addition to the nomination letter and photograph, each submission must include the following as separate enclosures:
A. Nominee's professional biography including information as indicated above.
B. A written and signed, statement of consent by the nominee, authorizing release of information contained in the nomination, per the Privacy Act of 1974. The following statement is a sample of written consent: "I, rank/full name,do hereby authorize the release of all information enclosed in this nomination package to those persons involved in the selection process."
4. Upon completion of the selection process, the selected awardee will be notified by the American Legion.
5. Submissions. All nominations should be sent electronically via email to: email@example.com using both portable document format and JPEG files of either a head or full body photo of the nominee with the following subject line: "2019 American Legion Spirit of Service Awards program in case of rank/name."
6. Deadline. Nomination packages must be received NLT 17 Jun 2019.
7. Nominees should include a statement that, if selected, the nominee will be available to receive the award at the American Legion's National Convention.
8. The American Legion will review all packets received and select the Marine Corps Spirit of Service Award winner.
9. Logistics and expenditures. The American Legion will provide transportation to and from the national convention in Indianapolis, IN, within the continental United States, as well as accommodations for the award recipient only. Using this message as a reference, commands may issue temporary additional duty orders so the award recipient may attend the convention. Specific coordinating details, to include travel arrangements and uniform requirements, will be sent to the award recipient by the American Legion following the selection process. For additional logistical details about this program, contact Mr. Freddy Gessner, Deputy Director, National Security Division, American Legion at (202) 263-2988 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Release authorized by Brigadier General W. H. Seely III, Director, Communication Directorate.//