WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Defense Department officials announced Nov. 1 an additional campaign phase has been approved for the Afghanistan Campaign Medal. Accordingly, an additional campaign star corresponding to the campaign phase is now authorized for wear on the ACM.
ACM campaign stars recognize a service member's participation in DOD-designated military campaigns in the ACM area of eligibility.
Service members who have qualified for the ACM may display a bronze campaign star on their medal for each designated campaign phase they participated in. The stars are worn on the suspension and campaign ribbon of the campaign medal.
The additional ACM campaign phase and associated dates are:
* Transition I July 1, 2011 through a date to be determined.
The four previously approved ACM campaign phases are:
- Liberation of Afghanistan - Sept. 11, 2001 to Nov. 30, 2001
- Consolidation I - Dec. 1, 2001 to Sept. 30, 2006
- Consolidation II - Oct. 1, 2006 to Nov. 30, 2009
- Consolidation III - Dec. 1, 2009 through June 30, 2011.
Service members should contact their respective military departments for specific implementation guidance.
(Courtesy of U.S. Department of Defense Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense Public Affairs)