FISCAL YEAR 2018 ENLISTED TO MEDICAL DEGREE PREPARATORY PROGRAM (EMDP2) ANNOUNCEMENT
Date Signed: 9/5/2017
MARADMINS Number: 494/17
R 051203Z SEP 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2018 ENLISTED TO MEDICAL DEGREE PREPARATORY PROGRAM (EMDP2) ANNOUNCEMENT//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MEMORANDUM FOR ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE NAVY//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC MPO/18SEP2014//
REF/D/MSGID: MSG/CMC MM/051346ZOCT16//
NARR/REF A IS THE MEMORANDUM FOR THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE NAVY OUTLINING EMDP2 GUIDANCE, REF B IS BUMEDINST 1500.31 UNIFORMED SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF THE HEALTH SCIENCES ENLISTED TO MEDICAL DEGREE PREPARATORY PROGRAM, REF C IS MCO 1300.8 MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY, REF D IS MCBUL 5314 ENLISTED CAREER FORCE CONTROLS PROGRAM.//
POC/D. P. HOOPER/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: (703)784-9335/EMAIL: DONALD.P.HOOPER@USMC.MIL//
POC/I. O. GOUDYREV/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: (703)784-9472/EMAIL: IVAN.GOUDYREV@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. N. URDIALES/GYSGT/MMEA-25/TEL: (703)432-9473/EMAIL: JUAN.URDIALES@USMC.MIL//
POC/A.C. GREEN/CIV/USUHS/TEL: (301)295-3198/EMAIL: ALTHEA.GREEN@USUHS.EDU//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN solicits applications and provides guidance for the FY18 Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program.
2. The EMDP2 is a two year undergraduate education program open to enlisted personnel of all ranks who meet eligibility requirements. The EMDP2 is a partnership between the Uniformed Services University (USU) and the armed services to provide an opportunity for highly-motivated, academically promising enlisted service members. The EMDP2 consists of intensive coursework, preparation, and mentoring to prepare students to apply to medical school. Upon completion of the program, successful students will be competitive for acceptance to U.S. medical schools. This is not a commissioning program.
3. Per reference (a), the SECNAV has authorized Marine participation for FY18. Five seats are designated per service.
4. Program participants will be selected via a consolidated Navy and Marine Corps board process. Selectees are assigned to USU for a 24 month period. Individuals selected for the EMDP2 program will remain on active duty while completing coursework and receive pay, allowances, benefits, and privileges of current paygrade. All school expenses (i.e. books, tuition, labs, etc.) will be paid by USU for the entire length of the course.
5. Participants are not guaranteed a commission or admission to medical school following successful completion of this preparatory program. Participants must apply for admission to USU and/or the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) or the Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP) as required under current guidelines. Participants who apply for admission to medical school are required to apply to USU.
6. Selectees must obligate service for 60 months from the July 2018 convening date of the program. Detaching command is responsible for ensuring selectees incur obligated service via extension or reenlistment prior to execution of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. Payment of the Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB) is not authorized for selectees who reenlist for the purpose of meeting this obligated service requirement. Personnel that previously received SRB for reenlistment for critical skills will not incur recoupment of paid SRB. Future installments of outstanding SRB payments will be suspended.
7. EMDP2 participants who complete program requirements, but fail to obtain acceptance to medical school, or who are disenrolled from the program will be assigned within their PMOS based on the needs of the Marine Corps.
8. Eligibility requirements:
8.a. Applicants must be a citizen of the United States, and security clearance eligible: this cannot be waived.
8.b. Applicants must be of good moral character and have no record of court-martial conviction, Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP), or civilian felony conviction and have no conviction of civil court for misdemeanors (except minor traffic violations) within the three years of application for the program. For the purposes of this program, an offense involving alcohol or drug related traffic violation is disqualifying if within three years preceding application for the program. Pre-service drug use is not an immediate disqualifier. However, any substantiated drug use (a felony conviction or any record of in-service drug abuse, regardless of date) or alcohol abuse will result in disqualification.
8.c. Applicants must be serving on active duty in the U.S. Marine Corps.
8.d. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be able to serve 20 years of commissioned active service by age 62. No age waivers will be granted.
8.e. The applicants Time in Service (TIS) cannot exceed 10 years Total Active Federal Military Service by 30 September of the EMDP2 application year.
8.f. Applicants must hold a bachelors degree in any discipline at the time of application from an accredited academic institution in the U.S., its territories, or Canada. The degree must include one semester of college algebra (or higher level math) and one academic year of college level English. An international bachelors degree will be accepted if the member has a masters degree granted by an accredited institution in the U.S., its territories, or Canada. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale for a bachelor or masters degree.
8.g. Applicants must meet Marine Corps height, weight, and physical fitness standards.
8.h. Applicants must be fit for full duty and world-wide assignable without limitations in accordance with BUMEDINST 1300.2 series and the manual of the Medical Department (NAVMED P-117).
8.i. Applicant must have a superb performance record and strong academic potential.
9. Deadline for submission of applications for FY18 enrollment is 1 November 2017. Application packages must be submitted electronically via the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) "SDA with Reenlistment/Miscellaneous Duty" Reenlistment Extension Lateral Move (RELM) request via the normal RELM routing chain. No additional documents can be added after this date. The selection board will convene in December 2017 and the selectees will be notified of the results via MARADMIN. The enclosures to the RELM will contain the following:
9.a. Personal Statement (no more than 500 words).
9.b. Commanding Officer Endorsement.
9.c. Basic Individual Record from MCTFS.
9.d. Interview Statement from an active duty physician.
9.e. Bachelors Degree diploma and transcripts.
9.f. Test Scores. ACT (minimum 28) and/or SAT (minimum 1800 with 600 minimum for each subject). In addition, GRE and GMAT scores are optional but may make the member more competitive. All tests must be completed within 3 years of application due date.
9.g. Master Brief Sheet from Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and fitness reports for the last year or record of Proficiency and Conduct marks for the last year.
9.h. Forms SF 88 or DD 2808 and SF 93 or DD 2807 within the last 12 months to include HIV results.
9.i. PFT/CFT scores from MCTFS for the last 4 years.
9.j. Completed NAVPERS 1306/92. Blocks 10 through 13 are not required.
9.k. NAVMC 118(11) entries.
9.l. Security Clearance Letter from Unit Security Manager.
10. Strict adherence to package submission requirements will be a primary factor for selection and no waivers will be granted. SAT and/or ACT tests are required for submission.
11. See POCs above for questions in regards to this program.
12. This program is not applicable to Marine Corps Reserve.
13. Release authorized by MajGen Robert F. Castellvi, Director, Manpower Management Division.//