MARADMINS : 004/17
R 041628Z JAN 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/ANNOUNCEMENT OF TWICE PASSED CAPTAIN AVIATORS SELECTED FOR CONTINUATION//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/SECNAV N132F PERS-49/30JAN2006//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASH DC MMSR/26NOV2013//
REF/D/MSGID: MSG/SECNAV WASHINGTON DC/141600ZDEC16//
REF/E/MSGID: MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MM /150720Z16//
NARR/REF (A) IS TITLE 10, U.S.C. SECTS 632, 637, AND 1174. REF (B) IS SECNAV INSTRUCTION 1920.7B, CONTINUATION ON ACTIVE DUTY OF REGULAR COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND RESERVE OFFICERS ON THE RESERVE ACTIVE STATUS LIST IN THE NAVY AND MARINE CORPS. REF (C) IS MARINE CORPS ORDER 1900.16 CH1, SEPARATION AND RETIREMENT MANUAL. REF (D) IS ALNAV 077/16, FY-18 U.S. MARINE CORPS MAJOR SELECTIONS. REF (E) IS MARADMIN 368/16, CONVENING OF THE FY18 U.S. MARINE CORPS COLONEL, LIEUTENANT COLONEL, MAJOR, AND CAPTAIN PROMOTION SELECTION BOARDS.//
POC/D. P. FITZGERALD/CAPT/CMC MMSR-2/-/TEL: DSN 278-9324//
POC/A. C. DINSDALE/MAJ/CMC MPP-30/-/TEL: DSN 278-9365//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN initiates notification of, and establishes procedures for, those aviators who have been twice-passed for selection to Major and selected for continuation on active duty.
2. Company grade aviator inventory levels are at such a level that continuation on active duty of those Captain aviators who have twice failed selection to the rank of Major is necessary. Those officers selected for continuation are offered the opportunity to remain on active duty as specified in references (a) through (c) and detailed below.
3. In accordance with references (d) and (e), all Captain aviators with a date of rank of 1 January 2011 or earlier are directed to log in to Marine Online (MOL) to check for notification of continuation status. Those Captain aviators who have been selected for continuation will receive a notice upon logging in to MOL.
4. MMSR-2 will enter the mandatory separation or retirement date (MSR) of 1 July 2020 into Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) for all affected officers. Notifications to commands will be through the Diary Feedback Report (DFR) to the respective Installation Personnel Administration Centers (IPAC).
5. Affected officers shall be counseled regarding the ramifications of accepting or declining continuation, in accordance with reference (a).
a. The counseling officer should be a Marine officer in the grade of O-5 or higher in the affected officers immediate chain of command. Affected officers with unique situations in which a Marine officer meeting the above criteria is not reasonably available shall contact Headquarters, Marine Corps for guidance. Contact information is located in the header information of this message.
b. All officers selected for continuation shall submit a NAVMC-118(11) (Page 11) entry, signed by themselves and their counseling officer, to Headquarters, Marine Corps, Separation and Retirement Branch (MMSR-2(O)). The Page 11 entry shall state: "I have been counseled on the ramifications of continuation on active duty for a period of 36 months. I have read and understand sections 632, 637, and 1174 of Title 10, U.S. Code, pertaining to failure of selection, continuation and subsequent separation." Page 11 entries shall be scanned and emailed to MMSR-2(O) at smb.manpower.mmsr2o(at)usmc.mil.
6. Acceptance of continuation.
a. Officers who accept continuation will incur a 36-month active duty service extension beginning 1 July 2017 and ending 1 July 2020. This continuation period will run concurrently with, not in place of, any existing obligation.
b. Officers selected for continuation are considered to have accepted the offer of continuation if no action is taken by 2359 EST, 31 January 2017. These officers will retain the MSR of 1 July 2020. Although not required, it is requested that affected officers communicate their intent to accept or decline continuation to their monitor.
c. Officers electing to decline continuation shall express their declination and intent to be separated via signed NAVMC Form 10274, Administrative Action Form (AA form) to MMSR-2(O) prior to 2359 EST, 31 January 2017. AA forms shall state that the officer declines continuation on active duty and that they accept separation on 1 July 2017. AA forms shall be scanned and emailed to MMSR-2(O) at smb.manpower.mmsr2o(at)usmc.mil.
d. Acceptance of continuation could make officers eligible for permanent change of station orders, permanent change of assignment orders, or an extension of current orders. Affected officers should contact MMOA-2 with specific questions.
7. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Reserve Component.
8. Release authorized by LtGen M. A. Brilakis, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//