R 171557Z JUL 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/FINANCIAL EDUCATION ACTION POINTS//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/TITLE 10 USC/SECTION 992//
AMPN/REF A IS 10 UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 992, CONSUMER EDUCATION PROGRAM FOR SERVICE MEMBERS.//
POC/NIKI JENNINGS/CIV/UNIT: MFR/-/TEL: 703-784-9550/EMAIL: NIKI.JENNINGS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the financial education required for Marines during the Marine For Life Cycle.
2. Situation. Per the reference, U. S. Code now requires that all Marines must complete financial education at specific action points. The Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) tracks this requirement and provides notification to Marines and Commanders. When a Marine reaches a required action point, the Marine and the command receive a message indicating that the Marine is required to complete financial education.
3. Financial Education Action Points. The Financial Education Action Points in the reference which require training event codes be run in MCTFS include the following: arrival at the first duty station of the member (code PR); arrival at each subsequent duty station, in the case of a member in pay grade E-4 or below or in pay grade O-3 or below (code FD); promotion, in the case of a member in pay grade E-5 or below or in pay grade O-4 or below (code FA); when the member vests in the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) (code FB); when the member becomes entitled to receive continuation pay under section 356 of title 37 (code FG); at each major life event during the service of the member, such as marriage (code FC); divorce (code FH); birth of first child (code FE); during pre-deployment training and during post-deployment training (code FF); at transition points in the service of the member (code TA), such as transition from a regular component to a reserve component, separation from service, or retirement; and as a component of periodically recurring, required training that is provided to the member at a military installation (code FL).
4. Training Options. A Marine may meet training requirements through one of the following methods: one on one counseling with the installation Professional Financial Managers (PFM), unit Command Financial Specialists (CFS), or contracted Professional Financial Counselor (PFC); classroom based training offered by installation PFM or contracted PFC (classroom training must be conducted with HQMC approved standardized materials); Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS)-provided training (e.g., Budget for Baby) or budget counseling; guided discussions in the unit with HQMC approved standardized discussion guides (currently in development).
5. First Duty Station. Online training for this action point is in development. Until the online training is available, a one on one counseling with a PFM, CFS or PFC is an authorized substitution for Marines who are not stationed at a Marine Corps installation.
6. Reporting Training Completion. When training is complete, the unit will run the appropriate training event code for the training requirement satisfied. The training specific event codes are listed in the Manpower and Reserve Affairs Manpower Codes Lookup. If training is not completed, reminder messages will be sent at specific intervals. Training completion must be documented with a completion certificate or training roster. Individual counseling will be documented by the individual counselor. Marines who are assigned to sister Service installations can access the installation family service center for counseling and classroom based training.
6.a. In cases where a Marine is completing the requirement for multiple action points (e.g. promotion and PCS, or promotion and marriage), the command will run codes for each action point.
6.a.(1) Example. A Marine reports to the first duty station and has gotten married en route. When the Marine arrives, the command will complete the Personal Readiness Seminar (PRS). Since PRS includes budgeting and other topics appropriate to marriage, the command will run the codes for both PRS and for marriage.
7. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
8. Release authorized by LtGen Michael A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//