POLICY CLARIFICATION REGARDING JOINING PRIOR SERVICE (PS) MARINES TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) UNITS AND INDIVIDUAL MOBILIZATION AUGMENTEE DETACHMENTS
Date Signed: 5/16/2019
MARADMINS Number: 286/19
R 151836Z MAY 19 MARADMIN 286/19 MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/POLICY CLARIFICATION REGARDING JOINING PRIOR SERVICE (PS) MARINES TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) UNITS AND INDIVIDUAL MOBILIZATION AUGMENTEE DETACHMENTS//
REF/A/MSGID: MSG/RA/YMD: 20171005//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20180315//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20110502//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/MCTFSPRIUM/YMD: 20080819//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS MARADMIN 553/17 POLICY CLARIFICATION REGARDING JOINING PRIOR SERVICE (PS) MARINES TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) UNITS. REFERENCE (B) IS MCO 1001R.1L W/ CH-1 MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATION MANAGEMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (C) IS MCO1040R.35 RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (D) IS MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM (MCTFS) PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS USER MANUAL (PRIUM).//
POC/N. R. ALEN/MAJ/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)432-9771/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/G. F. FARMAKIS/MAJ/MCRC (PSR)/TEL: (703)784-9677/EMAIL: GEORGE.FARMAKIS@MARINES.USMC.MIL//
POC/P. A. WRIGHT/CIV/MARFORRES G-1 MPWR/TEL: (504)697-7192/EMAIL: PHILLIP.A.WRIGHT@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN updates and supersedes reference (a) to provide policy clarification regarding joining PS Marines to SMCR units and IMA Detachments. This clarification will be incorporated as part of the ongoing revisions to reference (b) and are forthcoming.
a. Marine Corps Recruiting Command (MCRC) Prior Service Recruiters (PSR) are responsible for processing all PS applicants unless stated otherwise in the annual join credit policy.
b. PSRs are responsible for ensuring PS Marines meet the moral, medical, and professional standards for SMCR and IMA affiliation. If a unit commander or IMA operational sponsor believes a Marine is unqualified for affiliation in accordance with reference (c), then the commander, operational sponsor, or a designated representative must complete a rejection of accession (ROA) on the MCRC PSR Form 10 (New Join Worksheet). See paragraph 5 of this message for details.
3. Orientation Briefings for PS Marines
a. The orientation brief should be conducted by the SMCR unit Commanding Officer (CO)/Officer in Charge (OIC) or the Inspector-Instructor (I-I)/ Site Commander for SMCR joins. The orientation brief should be conducted by the operational sponsor or Reserve Liaison Officer (RLO) for IMA joins. The orientation brief is neither an interview nor a screening process to determine suitability for service in the Marine Corps Reserve.
b. COMMARFORRES and operational sponsors are responsible for ensuring SMCR units and IMA Detachments conduct an orientation brief with PS Marine applicants, similar to that provided to non-prior service Marines. The orientation brief should be conducted by the SMCR unit CO/OIC or the I-I/Site Commander for SMCR joins, or the operational sponsor or RLO for IMA joins, to welcome and become acquainted with new unit members after unit acceptance and join. The brief should convey a sense of camaraderie and familiarize the new member with the unit or detachment as well as duties and training highlights.
c. The orientation brief should occur within the first 30 days of affiliation. If an in-person orientation is not feasible, an orientation via telephone with an official command representative may be arranged.
d. At a minimum, the briefing should:
(1) Identify and resolve any geographic, occupational, or other circumstances that might interfere with inactive duty training attendance or scheduled active duty dates.
(2) Discuss duties and training highlights.
(3) Answer any questions the joining Marine might have.
e. Commanders and operational sponsors will not make local policies that restrict prior service recruiting in any way. For example, PS Marines are not required to provide fitness reports, Master Brief Sheets, letters of recommendation, or any other material not listed in the MCRC PSR Form 10. The MCRC PSR Form 10 replaces the NAVMC 11669 found in reference (c) and will no longer be accepted.
f. Commanders and operational sponsors may request that staff noncommissioned officers and officers submit a Reserve Qualification Summary (RQS) during the join process.
4. Join Procedures. Units and Detachments will adhere to the following join procedures:
a. Unit commanders, operational sponsors, or their designated representative will provide an acceptance or rejection decision upon presentation of a complete, qualified PS join package.
b. MCTFS. Units and detachments will report the join via unit diary within five working days of the signed MCRC PSR Form 10. PSRs will present the unit or detachment with all requirements of reference (d) to complete the join.
c. Unit or Detachment Join Date. The join date will be the effective date the MCRC PSR Form 10 is signed by the designated unit or detachment representative and the PS Marine. These procedures have been established to ensure that PS Marines are properly charged to the unit and paid on the first drill the Marine performs. Failure to follow the procedures per reference (d) can result in issues of accountability.
5. Rejection of Accession
a. Unit commanders, operational sponsors, or their representative will not reject a PS Marine for affiliation unless one of the following applies:
(1) Unqualified. The applicant is unqualified for affiliation in accordance with reference (b) and (c), or does not meet the specific requirements identified in the remarks section of the advertised billet listing found within the IMA Billet Identification Code (BIC) Report.
(2) BIC Availability. If there is no open (SMCR) or advertised (IMA) BIC as shown by the current, published BIC Report or Inventory Development Management System (IDMS) for the Marine, then the unit cannot join the Marine. An interunit transfer not currently pending in the Inventory Development and Management System, or a non-obligor Marine in an excess BIC are not reasons for rejection.
(3) Duty Involving Flying Operations (DIFOP). Approval of DIFOP rests with the Commanding General, 4th Marine Aircraft Wing (CG, 4th MAW). As such, PS joins to DIFOP billets must be approved by the CG, 4th MAW, or designated representative.
b. ROA Submissions.
(1) SMCR. The unit commander or designated representative will scan and email the signed MCRC PSR Form 10 to the MARFORRES manpower officer via the organizational mailbox (MFR_Manpower@usmc.mil) within three working days of being presented the join package by a PSR. The email must include the specific reason(s) for the ROA. For example: an ROA due to non-availability of a valid BIC as shown by the current, published BIC Report or IDMS, must include the complete BIC intended to be filled by the PS Marine, the date the BIC was filled, the name of the Marine currently holding the BIC, etc.
(2) IMA. The operational sponsor or designated representative will scan and email the signed MCRC PSR Form 10 to RAM-3 via the organizational mailbox (SMB_IMA@usmc.mil) within 10 working days of being presented the join package by a PSR. The email must include the specific reason(s) for the ROA. For example: an ROA due to non-availability of a valid BIC as shown by the current, published BIC Report or IDMS, must include the complete BIC intended to be filled by the PS Marine, the date the BIC was filled, the name of the Marine currently holding the BIC, etc.
c. ROA Validation.
(1) SCMR. MARFORRES will coordinate with the applicable chain of command to validate the ROA within three working days. If MARFORRES reverses the unit's ROA, the unit will be directed to complete the acceptance and join process immediately.
(2) IMA. RAM-3 will coordinate with the applicable chain of command to validate the ROA within three working days. If the detachment refuses to accept a qualified candidate, RAM-3 will reduce the detachment's Authorized Manning as appropriate.
6. This clarification to policy is effective immediately.
7. Release authorized by Colonel J. M. Morrisroe, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//