R 161818Z MAY 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/COMMAND CLIMATE SURVEY COMPLIANCE//
AMPN/REF A IS USD (P AND R) MEMO ANNOUNCING DEOMI ORGANIZATIONAL CLIMATE SURVEY (DEOCS)//
AMPN/REF B IS MCO 5354.1E PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND CONDUCT (PAC) PREVENTION AND RESPONSE POLICY//
POC/M. L. CHADWICK/CAPT/MPE/TEL: 703-784-9371/MICHELLE.CHADWICK@USMC.MIL//
POC/M. J. SHARPE/MSGT/MPE/TEL: 703-784-9371/MECHELLE.SHARPE@USMC.MIL//
POC/R. E. RAINES/GS-13/MPE/TEL: 703-784-9371/ROBERT.RAINES@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/THIS MARADMIN CANCELS MARADMIN 242/18 1. Purpose. Extensive recent feedback from the fleet has revealed survey fatigue. MARADMIN 316/13 coupled with congressionally mandated surveys required commands to conduct upwards of 5 or more surveys per year. This MARADMIN reduces command climate surveys to one per year. MARADMIN 316/13 is cancelled under SEPCOR. Unit specific Safety Surveys will be specified under separate order.
2. Background. The FY13 National Defense Authorization Act and Ref (A) mandated the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI) Organizational Climate Survey (DEOCS) as the designated tool to assess command climate.
3. Unit Requirements. Commands will now conduct DEOCS within 90 days prior to planned change of command and annually thereafter. Commanders are required to ensure all members administratively attached to their commands have the opportunity to participate in the DEOCS. Subordinate commands of 50 or fewer personnel will be surveyed within a larger unit in the command to ensure anonymity. Commanders are encouraged to utilize their Equal Opportunity Advisors for assistance with the DEOCS process and to provide information when evaluating a unit over time.
4. Commander Requirements. Commanders conducting a 90-day relinquishing command DEOCS are required to brief the incoming commander on the results and Command Action Plan of that DEOCS.
5. Compliance Tracking. By instruction, the HQMC Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion Branch (MPE), Manpower and Reserve Affairs, will track all DEOCS compliance requirements.
6. Extensions. Information regarding extensions can be found in Ref (B).
7. Waivers. To the extent practicable, assessments should be conducted as required. However, it is understandable if extenuating circumstances prevent a commander from conducting their DEOCS within the required timeframe. Waivers of DEOCS compliance will be considered on an individual case-by-case basis. Only the first General Court-Martial Convening Authority (GCMCA) may approve waiver requests.
8. Release authorized by Brigadier General W. H. Swan, Director, Manpower Plans and Policy Division.//