MARADMINS : 609/16
R 231530Z NOV 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/CHANGE 1 TO FISCAL YEAR 2017 (FY17) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) LATERAL MOVE (LATMOV) AND CAREER PROGRESSION MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) PROGRAMS//
REF/A/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN 403/16/YMD: 20160809//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC LTR/YMD: 20151216//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/TECOM MSG/YMD: 20151130//
REF/D/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/168/15/YMD: 20150331//
REF/E/MSGID: DOC/NAVMC 1200.1/YMD: 20150908//
REF/F/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/493/14/YMD: 20140930//
REF/G/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1001R.1L/YMD: 20151223//
REF/H/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1040R.35/YMD: 20110502//
REF/I/MSGID: DOC/MCTFSPRIUM/YMD: 20120807//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS MARADMIN 403/16 FISCAL YEAR 2017 (FY17) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) LATERAL MOVE (LATMOV) AND CAREER PROGRESSION MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) PROGRAMS. REFERENCE (B) IS FRAGMENTARY ORDER FOUR (IMPLEMENTATION) TO MARINE CORPS FORCE INTEGRATION CAMPAIGN PLAN. REFERENCE (C) IS TECOM AMHS MESSAGE, IMPLEMENTATION OF MOS PHYSICAL SCREENING PREREQUISITES IN SUPPORT OF MOS CLASSIFICATION AND SELECTION. REFERENCE (D) ANNOUNCES THE ACTIVE COMPONENT TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM (DAP). REFERENCE (E) IS THE MOS MANUAL. REFERENCE (F) IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGE TO ASSIGNMENT POLICY FOR PRIMARY MOS 0803, 0842, 0847, 2110, 2131, 2141, 2146, 2147, 2149, 7204, AND 7212. REFERENCE (G) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL (MCRAMM). REFERENCE (H) IS THE RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (I) IS THE MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS USER MANUAL ONLINE.//
POC/P.E. KLEMPAY/MAJ/RA (RCT)/TEL: 703-432-0581/EMAIL: SMB-RIT(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/S.P. NORTON/CAPT/RA (RAP)/TEL: 703-784-9136/EMAIL: RAP(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/D.J. SAUCIER/MSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: 703-784-9136/EMAIL: RAP(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/J.L. POLANCO/GYSGT/RA (RCT)/TEL: 703-432-9771/EMAIL: SMB-RIT(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN cancels and replaces reference (a).
2. The SMCR LatMov and Career Progression MOS programs are intended to balance officer and enlisted MOS inventories and to provide reserve unit commanders with properly trained Marines in order to accomplish their assigned missions.
3. In accordance with references (b) and (c), all reserve Marines requesting LatMov into a ground combat arms MOS must meet the MOS classification standard (MCS). Marines transferring from the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) requesting LatMov into a ground combat arms MOS must meet the MCS requirement prior to attending the course. Funding for orders will not be approved until qualifying MCS scores are submitted to SMB-RIT(at)usmc.mil. Failure to meet the MCS requirement within 90 days after affiliation will result in program disqualification.
4. Submission procedures for prior service recruiters, career planners, and reserve transition coordinators will be posted to the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) forms tab and located at the MRA website (www.manpower.usmc.mil). Select the “TOP REQUESTS” button from the main page and then the “Reserve Lateral Move and Career Progression” option.
a. Marines must affiliate with or be a current member of an SMCR unit.
b. Active Component (AC) Marines, or Active Reserve (AR) Marines within 90 days of release from active duty, or 120 days if applying for the Direct Affiliation Program (DAP), are eligible in accordance with reference (d).
c. IRR Marines released from the AC or Selected Reserve (SelRes) under honorable conditions are eligible.
d. Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Marines affiliating with an SMCR unit are eligible.
e. Rank. Enlisted Marines in the rank of lance corporal through sergeant and officers in the rank of first lieutenant or captain are eligible. CMC (RA) will open LatMov opportunities to other ranks based upon necessity (e.g., force structure changes). The following are existing exceptions:
(1) Staff Sergeants and staff sergeants select applying for 0211, 0241, and 0261 MOS retraining.
(2) Majors who have been approved for 0407, 0530, or the 7502 Free MOS (FMOS).
(3) Officers approved for aviation transition/conversion training.
(4) Marines must be filling a billet as an exact grade match or one billet grade higher (e.g., sergeant may retrain to a sergeant or staff sergeant billet).
(5) One billet grade lower will be authorized to Primary MOS (PMOS) 0211, 0241, and 0321.
f. Necessary MOS (NMOS) training. In accordance with reference (e), the following NMOSs are eligible for training: 0303, 0307, 0317, 0814, 1342, 3524, 3534, 3536, 6012, 6033, 6043, 6049, 6242, 8621, and 8641. Requests for other NMOS will be approved on a case by case basis by Reserve Affairs, Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting Branch (RA (RAP)). Marines must be able to complete all required training without a break in-between schools.
g. Career progression MOS training. In accordance with reference (e), the following PMOSs require career progression training: 0202, 0369, 0491, 0629, 0699, 0848, 1169, 1349, 1372, 2149, 2181, 2336, 2834, 2862, 2874, 2891, 3044, 3537, 5821, 5948, 6591. Requests for other career progression MOSs will be approved on a case by case basis by RA (RAP).
h. Sergeants must have no more than 2 years Time in Grade (TIG) on the date of TFRS submission.
i. Staff Sergeants and staff sergeant selects applying for the 0211, 0241, or 0261 MOS are exempt from TIG requirements.
j. Captains who are in-zone for major are eligible, however, require verification by RA (RAP) prior to approval.
k. Marines must meet the prerequisites for the Initial MOS (IMOS) per reference (e).
l. Lance Corporals and corporals must possess a minimum 4.1/4.1 average in-grade proficiency and conduct marks.
m. Marines assigned to VMGR-234 and VMGR-452 with a KC-130J model MOS are authorized to retrain for the KC-130T model qualifications under this program.
n. Current SMCR unit members must be in or requesting to fill a BIC for which they are not MOS qualified. Requests for Marines already considered a match for an open BIC without retraining will be considered on a case-by-case basis. These require justification by the battalion/squadron commander.
o. The requested unit must have an open BIC per the Inventory Development and Management System (IDMS). Once the LatMov is approved, the gaining unit should submit an exception request in IDMS.
p. Have no unexcused absences within the last 12 months.
q. Must not be currently assigned to the Body Composition Program or Military Appearance Program.
r. Physical Fitness Test (PFT)/Combat Fitness Test (CFT). If currently a member of the SelRes or active duty, must have passed the PFT and CFT within the last 12 months. If currently a member of the IRR, pass a PFT and/or CFT within 90 days of affiliation, if required per reference (f). Failure to meet the performance standards within 90 days of affiliation will result in a program disqualification.
s. Must not have received a reduction in grade to their current grade.
t. Must not be in receipt of an enlistment or affiliation bonus. This requirement is waived for Marines in units affected by Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC), Force Structure Review Group (FSRG), or Force Optimization Review Group (FORG).
u. Must not be a previous recipient of funding for a previous LatMov, retraining, and/or career progression training within the previous 3 years.
v. Marines will be required to sign a distance waiver if outside the normal commuting distance per reference (e).
w. Marines will be required to obtain up to 3 years contractual obligation to cover required service.
x. On-the-job training (OJT) for a Food Service Specialist (PMOS 3381) is no longer authorized.
a. Marines cannot exceed the satisfactory year requirements for their respective grade on the date active duty for training (ADT) begins. The below LatMov restrictions ensure the required contractual obligation for training will not take the Marine beyond service limits for grade in accordance with reference (h).
(1) Lance Corporals: less than 5 satisfactory years.
(2) Corporals: less than 6 satisfactory years.
(3) Sergeants: less than 10 satisfactory years.
(4) Staff Sergeants: less than 14 satisfactory years.
b. Sergeants and above who are in-zone, above-zone, or have failed selection for promotion in the SMCR are not eligible, except as indicated in paragraph 5i.
c. Captains who are above zone or have failed selection for promotion to major are not eligible for retraining.
d. CMC (RA) will not approve a LatMov into the following:
(1) Infantry Officer (MOS 0302).
(2) Judge advocate (MOS 4401/4402).
(3) Air Control/Air Support/Antiair Warfare/Air Traffic Control (all 72xx MOSs).
(4) Pilots/Naval Flight Officers (MOS 75XX).
(5) Aviation PMOSs. Only Marines with Aviation Maintenance or avionics PMOSs will be approved for LatMov to another aviation maintenance, or avionics MOS. For example, a Marine with PMOS 6116 may be approved to LatMov to the 6324 avionics, if otherwise qualified.
e. SMCR Marines found disqualified for the LatMov program must be realigned to an open BIC in accordance with the BIC assignment policy within 60 days.
f. Marines approved for the LatMov program may be disqualified in the event of the following:
(1) Selection to staff sergeant, gunnery sergeant, or major (except as indicated in the approved MOS).
(2) Failure to affiliate with the intended unit within 45 days of the approved retraining request.
(3) Failure to attend scheduled training:
(a) Within 12 months of joining the unit.
(b) Without properly processing a reschedule request with RA, Reserve Continuation and Transition Branch (RA (RCT)).
(4) Failure to complete training due to disciplinary action or academic failure.
(5) Transfer to the IRR prior to the convening date of the scheduled course.
(6) Execution of an Inter-Unit Transfer (IUT) without approval from RA (RAP).
(7) Failure to meet required physical standards.
(8) Subject to a nonjudicial punishment in the last 12 months.
g. Marines affiliating with Marine Aviation Training Support Group 42 and Aviation Command and Control Team are ineligible for these programs.
7. Contractual drilling obligation
a. Marines approved for a LatMov or career progression training will incur additional obligated service and an adjustment to their Mandatory Drill Participation Stop Date (MDPSD) per reference (i).
b. The unit administration section must submit the MOS school certificate of completion to RA (RCT) to email: RCT(underscore)UDMIPS(at)usmc.mil.
c. Marines who LatMov into the 0211 MOS will incur a 60 month service obligation. The 60 months service obligation refers to total contractual time in the Ready Reserve (SelRes or IRR).
8. Coordinating instructions
a. Marines are not authorized to execute an IUT after completion of training under this program without approval from RA (RAP). All requests for IUT must include an endorsement from Commander, Marine Forces Reserve.
b. All requests will be considered based on the needs of the Marine Corps and approved on a first come/first served basis as funds are available.
c. SMCR Marines are not required to change units in order to apply for the LatMov program if a vacancy exists at their current unit.
d. Aviators requiring transition/conversion are retrained via the Transition/Conversion program released via separate correspondence.
e. RCT will not fund approve the orders until the RELM is accepted.
9. Direct Liaison is authorized between SMCR units and CMC (RA).
10. This bulletin cancels on 30 September 2017.
11. Release authorized by Colonel J. M. Morrisroe, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//