MARADMINS : 614/16
R 281434Z Nov 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC C4//
SUBJ/USMC IRIDIUM PROCEDURES//
REF/A/DOC/DODI 8420.02P/YMD: 20160915//
REF/B/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC C4/291224ZMAY 14//
REF/C/DOC/GSM-O DISA/YMD: 20150706//
NARR/REF A IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION ON SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS. REF B IS THE USMC IRIDIUM PROCEDURES AND INFORMATION ON IRIDIUM CONTRACT CHANGE. REF C IS GLOBAL INFORMATION GRID (GIG) SERVICES MANAGEMENT (GSM)-OPERATIONS (GSM-O) DEFENSE INFORMATION SYSTEM AGENCY DIRECT STORE FRONT (DDSF) GUIDE.//
POC/COLEMAN, ANDRE/CIV/UNIT: CMC C4/CS/TEL: COMM 571-256-8836/EMAIL: ANDRE.COLEMAN(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/UNIT: CMC C4/CP/MCCMO/TEL: COMM 703-604-0036/EMAIL: MCCMO(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This is the HQMC C4 Iridium Policy update to supersede ref (b).
2. Background. EMSS, Iridium L-Band services is a satellite-based wireless communications network providing global handheld voice, data, and paging services through a dedicated, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA)-Controlled Defense Information System Network (DISN) EMSS gateway. It provides the warfighter global communications by leveraging the commercial Iridium satellite constellation. In 2014, DOD implemented a fixed cost allocation EMSS airtime/gateway contract with Iridium. Allocation was determined at a service enterprise level cost. The contract features unlimited air-time and gateway access on an unlimited number of devices at a fixed rate. Using units will only be required to pay for any additional equipment purchases, maintenance, and selected activation fees of new devices and Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) cards.
a. Ref (a) mandates DoD components with a requirement for Mobile Satellite Service (MSS) shall:
(1) Use contract vehicles prescribed by the Director, DISA, for procurement of MSS equipment and services. Any request for exception must be submitted to the DoD CIO for consideration.
(2) Leverage DoD EMSS infrastructure and capability investments by procuring DoD-approved EMSS user equipment through DISA procurement process. Use of alternative MSS solutions (i.e., MSS that does not leverage the EMSS infrastructure and capability investments) will be permitted only when EMSS cannot satisfy the user requirement. EMSS equipment leverages the DoDs 1996 gateway investment that includes enhanced capabilities such as security and privacy features.
b. Marine Corps users involved in purchasing Iridium devices or equipment and services are required to use the DISA Direct Storefront (DDSF) process by submitting a telecommunications request (TR) through the DISA Direct website at: https:(SLASH)(SLASH)Www.disadirect.disa.mil/products/asp/welcome.asp. DDSF is a new DISA ordering initiative for transport, data, voice, satellite, wireless, and other services. All users are highly encouraged to down-load and review ref (c) in its entirety. Ref (c) is the DDSF user guide that provides information for storefront users. Topics include:
(1) Access requirements and instructions to create an account.
(2) Using storefront, from logging-in to submit, track, and manage orders.
(3) Instructions on how to start, change, amend, discontinue, and cancel TR.
(4) Available services.
c. Prior to submitting a TR, using units must ensure the following:
(1) Establishment of a program designator code (PDC).
(2) Line of accounting (LOA) associated with the PDC.
(3) DDSF appointment letter identifying roles and responsibilities with the assigned PDC.
(4) DDSF account to create, submit, and or approve TR’s.
a. Ordering Iridium services: The primary inventory reference for Iridium services will be the individual unit’s PDC. PDC is either a four-or six-character alphanumeric code used to identify leased services by system, network, primary user, or other category. It is required to identify the funding activity responsible for paying the cost of leased service. Marine Corps users must establish a PDC with a valid LOA. Contact HQMC (C4) Marine Corps Circuit Management Office (MCCMO) email: mccmo(AT)usmc.mil for instructions, forms, PDC establishment, funding, and a detailed list of roles and responsibility.
b. Billing: Using units will only be required to pay non-recurring cost for equipment purchases and selected activation fees of new devices and SIM cards. Units must ensure administrative information is updated if any SIM cards are transferred among units. Ensure all point of contact and billing information is current within DISA Direct Home Page /Telecommunications Services Enterprise Acquisition Services inventory and billing information (TIBI) for each registered PDC.
c. Services: Iridium services available to customers include: secure voice, Short Burst Data (SBD), paging, Router-based Unrestricted Digital Internetworking Connectivity Solution (RUDICS) and Distributed Tactical Communications System (DTCS), also known as netted Iridium. Units are encouraged to incorporate Iridium capabilities into their communication plans to the maximum extent practical.
5. Funding, PDC establishment, and roles and responsibilities issues can be address to mccmo(AT)usmc.mil at (703)604-0036.
6. Message release authorized by BGen Dennis A. Crall, Director, Command, Control, Communications, and Computers (C4)/CIO of the Marine Corps.//