MARADMINS : 615/16
R 291521Z Nov 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC JA//
SUBJ/REQUIRED MARINE CORPS COURT REPORTER EQUIPMENT TO SUPPORT RECORD OF TRIAL PRODUCTION//
REF/A/MSGID: MCO P5800.16A W/CH7//
NARR/REF (A) IS THE MARINE CORPS MANUAL FOR LEGAL ADMINISTRATION.//
POC/W. N. PIGOTT/COL/JAD/TEL: 703-614-8661//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This message announces the required hardware, software, and equipment for Marine Corps voice recognition court reporters to produce a verbatim or summarized record of trial (ROT).
2. Background. Reference (A) requires CMC (JA) to establish annually, or as required, the specific hardware, software, and equipment that Marine Corps court reporters (NMOS 4422) must use. The required hardware, software, and equipment for administrative proceedings mirrors the requirements contained in this message.
3. Requirements. At a minimum, Legal Service Support Sections and subordinate Legal Services Support Teams will maintain the following required equipment for each court reporting section:
(1) One (1) laptop per court reporter with the following specifications: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 5th Generation Intel Core i7 (or greater) processor capable of at least 3.5GHz, Solid State Drive (SSD), at least four (4) USB 2.0 ports, and a minimum of 32 GB RAM.
(2) For The Record (FTR) Touch digital recording system, version 5.5 or greater.
(1) USMC Symantec virus protection software with the most current software virus definitions update.
(2) Eclipse Vox Computer Aided Transcription (CAT) software, with technical support and updated to the most current version.
(3) Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional, updated to the most recent version.
(4) FTR Player Transcription Software.
(1) TalkTech SM200 Sylencer with SmartMic, including MuffleMitt, two (2) per court reporter.
(2) Andrea Pure Audio USB Sound Card, one (1) per court reporter.
(3) Olympus DM-620 Digital Voice Recorder, at least one (1) per court reporter.
(4) Antex DMX-8 USB Recording Mixer.
(5) Six (6) dynamic microphones and one (1) omni-directional microphone per courtroom.
(6) Sound cancelling headphones in order minimize background noise and ensure audio clarity and,
(7) USB foot pedal that is compatible with FTR Player.
D. Real Time Hardware.
(1) Network Switch with as many ports as required to connect each court reporter, each FTR touch, and each courtroom at the resident installation as well as one port for a networked attached storage.
(2) Network Attached Storage with at least four bays and at least a dual core 1.4GHz processor.
(3) Desktop Hard Disk Drives, minimum of 1 TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s with a 64MB cache in a 3.5 inch form factor, at least one more than required to run network attached storage in RAID 5 configuration.
(4) Uninterruptible Power Source with a 1,500 Volts-Ampere rating.
4. Action. Legal Services Support Sections will conduct an inventory of current court reporter hardware, software, and equipment and identify any deficiencies from the required items listed in Paragraph 3 above. Report the deficiencies and the plan to correct the deficiencies to CMC (JA) NLT than 30 September 17 via the respective installation commander. Identify in the report whether assistance with funding is needed.
5. Non-enforceability of legal right. Nothing in this message creates a right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or equity by a party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or instrumentalities, its officers or employers, or any other person.
6. Release authorized by MajGen John R. Ewers, Jr., Staff Judge Advocate to the Commandant of the Marine Corps.//