MARADMINS : 375/17
R 181444Z JUL 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI//
SUBJ/RESULTS OF THE MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS) CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 3RD QTR OF FY17 AND THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 4TH QTR OF FY17 AND THE 1ST QTR OF FY18//
REF/A/MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI/ R 232102Z NOV 16//
REF/B/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC /-/25SEP08//
NARR/REF A ANNOUNCED THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 3RD QTR FY17 AND REF B IS MCO 3902.1D, MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS)//
POC/JAMES A. EVANS/GS15/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8124/EMAIL: JAMES.A.EVANS@USMC.MIL//
POC/L. R. WATTS/GS13/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8189/EMAIL: LISA.WATTS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Per references (a) and (b), this message announces the results of the Call for Studies for the 3rd QTR FY17. This message also announces the Call for Studies for the 4th QTR of FY 17 and 1st QTR FY 18 (see paragraph 7).
2. Tier I studies are considered appropriate studies that meet the criteria provided in ref (a) as delineated by the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) and Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration, (DC, CD and I) ; these studies will commence as soon as possible. Tier II nominations are those found to be analytically sound and worthy of execution but either cannot be executed with available resources and/or require further development (e.g., refinement of study scope).
3. The following 3rd QTR FY17 study nominations are Tier I (sponsor in parentheses).
3.A. Improved Integration of Female Marines in the Marine Corps (ACMC)
3.B. Improving Individual Marine Quality (ACMC)
3.C. Air-to-Ground Weapon Gap Analysis - Informing Future Requirements (DC, AVN)
3.D. Marine Corps Aviation Ordnance Services in Support of an Increasingly Distributed Operating Environment (DC, AVN)
3.E. Evaluation of Core and Service Mandated Funding in Support of POM-20 (DC, CD and I)
3.F. KC-130 Utilization Currently and in 2025 (DC, CD and I)
3.G. In-Stride Replacement (DC, M and RA)
3.H. Assessment, Monitoring, and Evaluation (AM and E) of USMC Security Cooperation (DC,PP and O)
3.I. Marine Corps Reliance on Space-Based Capabilities (DC, PP and O)
3.J. Marine Corps Synthetic Training Environment MAGTF Requirements (CG, TECOM)
3.K. Impact of Unstructured Manpower Requirements on Readiness and Execution of Plans (CG, I MEF)
3.L. Logistical and Command and Control Support to Expeditionary Advanced Base Operations (EABO) (CG, I MEF)
3.M. Analysis of Anti-Surface Warfare Expeditionary Advanced Bases (CG, MARFORPAC)
3.N. Analysis of Readiness Impacts to MARFORPAC Forces while Deployed (CG, MARFORPAC)
3.O. Analysis of USMC Role in Up-Gunned Expeditionary Strike Group (CG, MARFORPAC)
3.P. Cost-Benefit Analysis of Automated Collision Avoidance Systems in Marine Aviation (CO, MAD, PAX River)
3.Q. Enhancing Detection in support of Defensive Cyber Operations (CO, MCCOG)
3.R. Operational Risk Approach to Prioritizing Defensive Cyber Operations (CO, MCCOG)
4. The following 3rd QTR FY17 study nominations are Tier II:
4.A. Manned-Unmanned Teaming with MUX (DC, AVN)
4.B. Ground Supply Intermediate Level Capacity Study (DC, I and L)
4.C. Logistics UAS Manpower Organization Study (DC, I and L)
4.D. Packaging Methods for Efficient Distribution by Unmanned Logistics Systems (ULS) (DC, I and L)
4.E. Updating the Planning Factors for Remain Behind Equipment (DC, I and L)
4.F. MAGTF Counter-Cruise Missile and Counter-Rockets, Artillery, and Mortars Capabilities (DC, CD and I)
4.G. The Source Modification (DC, CD and I)
4.H. Fleet Assistance Program Impact on the Execution of Plans (DC, PP and O)
4.I. Understanding of Recently Employed Russian Tactics (CG, II MEF)
4.J. High-End Recruits: Leveraging Technology to Improve USMC Recruiting (CG, MCRC)
4.K. Improving Marines’ PEF Classifications: Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of a Matching Instrument (CG, MCRC)
5. The OAD government study lead appointed to oversee each accepted study will contact the agency POC as provided in the study nomination to prepare for study execution. Those study nominations not listed above were not accepted for execution. POCs for not accepted study nominations will be contacted via email by the Director, External Analysis Division.
6. Per reference (b), Marine Corps Commands and Activities that have commissioned studies and analysis outside of the Marine Corps Studies System (MCSS) are required to notify OAD (c 19) of such initiatives, to include the purpose and scope of their respective efforts. Additionally, electronic copies of completed studies and analytical efforts shall be provided to OAD (c 19) for inclusion into the MCSS repository. This can be accomplished by emailing: email@example.com.
7. This message also announces the MCSS Call for Studies for the 4th QTR of FY 17 and the 1st QTR of FY 18 and solicits nominations for relevant and impactful studies. The nomination period is 1 Sep 17 through 8 Oct 17, with the Studies Review Board (SRB) scheduled for 17 Oct 17.
8. Action. Organizations and individuals interested in submitting a study nomination shall meet the following requirements IAW ref (b):
8.A. Nominations must have approval and support, at the submitting command, of a senior officer (Colonel/GS-15 civilian or above), who shall be the study sponsor.
8.B. Each Study Project Officer (SPO), assigned by the study sponsor, must be a Marine or government employee ; contractors are not permitted to act as the SPO. The SPO must be available to assist in developing the performance work statement or study plan, have sufficient time at his/her current assignment to support study performer(s) and assist with the collection of data and completion of the study.
9. Nominations will be submitted via email. You may request a nomination form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. This form is the only acceptable form for submission. Nominations submitted using any other form shall be returned for resubmission. Completed forms shall be submitted via email to email@example.com.
10. Nominations may be submitted at any time; however, non-urgent requirements will be held until the next SRB.
11. Assistance and consultation in shaping study nominations is available from Mr. James Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org. To obtain additional information regarding OAD study nomination submissions, please visit http:(slash)(slash) www.mccdc.marines.mil/Units/OAD/Marine-Corps-Study-System.aspx or you may contact the Director, External Analysis Division, Mr. James A. Evans, email: email@example.com.
12. Questions regarding this announcement or the MCSS process may be directed to Lisa Watts, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Robert S. Walsh, Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration.//