MARADMINS : 400/17
R 281746Z JUL 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2018 (FY18) ACTIVE RESERVE (AR) ALIGNMENT PLAN (ARAP)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20110502//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20110606//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS MCO 1040R.35, RESERVE CAREER PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (B) IS MCO 1001.52J, ACTIVE RESERVE SUPPORT TO THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE.//
POC/S. P. NORTON/MAJ/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-9136/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. D. LOCKRIDGE/MGYSGT/RA (RAM) (SDA MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0525/EMAIL: JAMES.LOCKRIDGE@USMC.MIL//
POC/K. A.THOMAS/MSGT/RA (RAM) (0200-2100 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0526/EMAIL: KEVIN.A.THOMAS1@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. J. GOLD/MSGT/RA (RAM) (0111 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0529/EMAIL: JJ.GOLD@USMC.MIL//
POC/I. S. STEWART/MSGT/RA (RAM) (3000-5700/8014 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0528/EMAIL: IAN.S.STEWART@USMC.MIL//
POC/V. ALABRE/MSGT/RA (RAM) (6000-7000 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0527/EMAIL: VANES.ALABRE1@USMC.MIL//
POC/A. A. MARSELLA/GYSGT/RA (RAM) (RETENTION CHIEF)/TEL: (703)784-9141/EMAIL: ANDREW.MARSELLA@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the commencement of the FY18 ARAP. The purpose of the ARAP is to balance the AR enlisted career force inventory while retaining quality Marines. AR Marines should contact their unit career planner for more information and compliance with this message.
2. Background. Retaining our best Non-Commissioned Officers and Staff Non-Commissioned Officers is critical to mission accomplishment. Commanders must be actively involved in retention efforts to ensure we retain our best Marines and attain our enlisted inventory goals by military occupational specialty (MOS).
a. Per reference (a), all commands are required to conduct interviews with 100 percent of their FY18 ARAP population and record the interview within the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) Interview Module. Reserve Affairs Personnel Management Branch (RA(RAM)) will track the status of interviews to assess the status of the cohort in an optimal manner.
b. Commands must complete all required AR initial interviews no later than 1 October 2017. The TFRS Interview Module has been adjusted to allow completion of the AR initial interview no more than 14 months and no less than 10 months prior to the Marines Expiration of Active Service (EAS) in order to comply with this requirement.
c. AR Marines in the ranks of lance corporal to sergeant with an EAS date during FY18 must submit for reenlistment via TFRS no later than 30 November 2017. Marines must meet service limitation requirements contained in reference (b).
d. AR Marines in the ranks of staff sergeant to master gunnery sergeant with an EAS date during FY18 must submit for reenlistment via TFRS no later than 31 December 2017.
e. Commanders are authorized to extend and adjust the EAS of eligible AR Marines with an EAS between 1 October 2017 and 28 February 2018 to 31 March 2018 in order to await a response to a pending reenlistment request. Non-career designated AR Marines may already have the sufficient contractual time but lack the required EAS. If the Reserve Expiration of Current Contract is not sufficient then an extension of enlistment is authorized. Upon execution and reporting of the extension as necessary, the command will adjust the Marines EAS, not to exceed 31 March 2018.
f. All requests submitted in accordance with this message will be processed no later than 28 February 2018. Requests submitted after the specified deadline may not receive favorable consideration for further service.
g. Staff Non-Commissioned Officers eligible for retirement who do not submit for reenlistment prior to the deadline are subject for denial of further service and will EAS in lieu of retirement.
h. Commanding Officers are not authorized to use local command authority extensions which would result in a Marine with an EAS in FY18 being adjusted into FY19.
4. Commanders Recommendation. The Commanders input is a critical part of the retention decision. All unit commanders/inspector-instructors, and sergeants major/first sergeants are encouraged to make detailed comments advocating for or against retention.
5. Comparative Assessment. All Marines who submit for reenlistment will be ranked against each other. Variables used in the assessment include, but are not limited to: average proficiency and conduct marks in service, Physical Fitness Test and Combat Fitness Test scores, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program level and meritorious promotion to current grade.
6. Waivers. Waiver requests that require a Commanding General (CG) endorsement will be endorsed by the first CG in the chain of command.
7. Targeted reenlistment allocations will be published for each MOS and will be announced via separate correspondence.
8. Release authorized by Colonel J. M. Morrisroe, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//