FOREIGN AREA SNCO (FAS) PROGRAM EXPERIENCE TRACK SELECTION PROCESS UPDATE
Date Signed: 8/30/2017
MARADMINS Number: 478/17
R 291609Z AUG 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC PPO PL WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/FOREIGN AREA SNCO (FAS) PROGRAM EXPERIENCE TRACK SELECTION PROCESS UPDATE//
REF/A/DOC/CMC PPO/YMD: 20130327//
REF/B/NAVMC/1200.1A CH 1/20150908//
REF/F/GENADMIN/CG EDCOM PRES MCU QUANTICO VA/232332ZOCT12//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1520.11F, INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS PROGRAMS (IAP). REF B IS NAVMC 1200.1A CH 1, THE MARINE CORPS MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) MANUAL. REF C IS MARADMIN 520/16,FY 2017 MARINE CORPS FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY BONUS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. REF D IS MARADMIN 316/17, FY 2018 MARINE CORPS FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY BONUS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. REF E IS MARADMIN 521/16, MCBUL 7220 ANNOUNCING REVISED MCO 7220.52 FOR THE MARINE CORPS FOREIGN LANGUAGE BONUS PROGRAM. REF F IS MARADMIN 619/12 ANNOUNCING THE FORMAL IMPLEMENTATION OF THE REGIONAL, CULTURE, AND LANGUAGE FAMILIARIZATION (RCLF) PROGRAM.//
POC1/MORALES, RONAL/MSGT/CMC PPO PL WASHINGTON DC/DSN 224-4366/703-692-4366/RONAL.MORALES@USMC.MIL.//
POC2/ FISHER, CLAYTON/GS/CMC PPO PL WASHINGTON DC/DSN 224-0322/703-614-0322/CLAYTON.FISHER@USMC.MIL.//
POC3/PATTERSON, BRITTANY/CTR/CMC PPO PL WASHINGTON DC/DSN 224-0322/703-614-0322/BRITTANY.PATTERSON.CTR@USMC.MIL.//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN provides an update on the selection process for the FAS Program through the experience track.
2. The FAS Program experience track is available to any active or reserve enlisted Marine with a minimum rank of Staff Sergeant, including selectees. The goal of the FAS Program experience track is to identify and select Marines whose experience and knowledge meet the criteria listed in Chapter 3 of ref A, and ref B.
3. Applicants with an internationally-focused undergraduate degree, sufficient regional experience, and language proficiency may qualify for the FAS Additional Military Occupational Specialty (AMOS) without significant additional training. Marines may request a constructive credit waiver of the undergraduate degree requirement based on significant professional experience in the region, such as participation in the Personnel Exchange Program (PEP), Marine Corps Embassy Security Group (MCESG) tour, Defense Attache Service (DAS) tour, Office of Security/Defense Cooperation (OSC/ODC) tour, overseas tours in a civil affairs billet, Military Training Team (MTT), interpreter tour, theater security cooperation engagements, and any other internationally-focused operational tour. A waiver for experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis if it equates to a minimum of 12 months of academic or professional interaction with local nationals, e.g., missionary work, undergraduate or graduate degree from a foreign university or college, Peace Corps, etc.
4. Per ref A, active component and reserve Marines requesting a FAS AMOS based on prior experience and existing Language, Regional Expertise, and Culture (LREC) capability may apply to the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC), International Affairs Branch (PLU) at any time. Applications must include appropriate command endorsements. Branch Head, PLU convenes a panel to consider experience track applications quarterly. Results of the International Affairs Program experience track selection panel will be announced via MARADMIN.
5. Application process.
5.A. FAS requirements and application instructions can be found on the international affairs programs website at: http:(slash) (slash)www.hqmc.marines.mil/ppo/Units/Strategy-and-Plans-Division-PL/International-Affairs-Branch-PLU/International-Affairs-Programs. They can also be found in Chapter 3 of ref A. Applicants are highly encouraged to read Chapter 3 of ref A in its entirety.
5.B. Applicants may apply for as many categories as they qualify for.
5.C. Application packages must be submitted via the endorsing chain of command to CMC (PLU).
5.D. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
5.E. Digital (pdf) copies of the entire package are the standard submission. Any documents requiring signature (endorsements, letters of recommendation, etc.) must be signed prior to conversion to pdf. These pdf file(s) shall be e-mailed to POC 1 listed in this message. Note: adobe acrobat (pdf) is the only accepted means of digital submission for the applications.
5.F. Label all pdf files with "Rank.Last.First.Region.Language" (e.g. MSgt.Morales.Ronal.Africa.French)
6. FAS Program selection through other track options will be announced via separate correspondence.
7. Questions concerning the International Affairs Program can be directed to the above POCs.
8. Release authorized by GS15 Jeffrey L. DeWeese, Acting Director, Strategy and Plans Division, Plans, Policies and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps.//