FY 18 CRITICAL SKILLS RETENTION BONUS (CSRB) UPDATE
Date Signed: 9/19/2017
MARADMINS Number: 521/17
R 191545Z SEP 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA//
SUBJ/FY 18 CRITICAL SKILLS RETENTION BONUS (CSRB) UPDATE//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/PDUSD/YMD: 20170216//
REF/B/MSGID: MSG/ CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA/XXXXXX//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC MRA MMEA/20100908//
NARR/REF (A) IS PDUSD(P&R) MEMORANDUM APPROVING THE CONTINUED USE OF CSRB. REF (B) IS MCBUL 5314 FY18 ENLISTED CAREER FORCE CONTROLS (ECFC) PROGRAM. REF (C) IS MCO 1040.31 ENLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM.//
POC/S.A.STEELE/CAPT/CMC (MPP-20)/-/TEL: COM 703-784-9362/TEL: DSN 278-9362//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. Effective 1 October 2017, this MarAdmin establishes the policy for payment of CSRB during FY18.
2. Background. In accordance with ref (A), the CSRB Program provides a financial incentive to meet manpower requirements in critical skills.
3. Action. Marines who meet the following eligibility criteria are authorized to request CSRB in conjunction with their reenlistment request.
a. Be an enlisted Marine in the grade of E7 and above.
b. Have completed a minimum of 20 years of active service, but no more than 28 years of active service at time of reenlistment.
c. Possess the Critical Skills Operator (CSO) primary MOS of 0372.
d. Agree to 48 months of additional obligated active service in order to maximize the CSRB amount. Marines who incur less than 48 months are eligible for a reduced CSRB amount (see paragraph 6 for amount payable examples).
e. Meet service limitations and reenlistment policies set forth in refs (B) and (C).
f. Must have an End of Current Contract (ECC) during FY18.
g. Must not have accepted the Zone E Selective Retention Bonus (SRB) in FY18.
4. Career planners will prepare CSRB contracts. All contract requests will be forwarded to HQMC, MMEA-1, via the Total Force Retention System (TFRS). CSRB requests will be part of the reenlistment package similar to a standard SRB request.
5. CSRB payments will be paid in lump sum and immediately following reenlistment. Authority to reenlist with a CSRB is contingent upon available funding. Therefore, authority to reenlist with a CSRB may be suspended by this headquarters without additional advance notice. Once funding is exhausted, all other FY18 reenlistments will be executed without an authorized CSRB.
6. CSRB amounts payable. The following are amounts payable based on number of years additional obligated service. The CSRB rate offered during FY18 is: 4 years 50,000.00 dollars; 3 years 30,000.00 dollars; 2 years 18,000.00 dollars.
a. Example. A MSgt with 20 years of service agrees to serve 4 additional years obligated service, will be authorized a CSRB payment of 50,000.00 dollars.
b. Example. A MSgt with 25 years of service agrees to serve 2 additional years obligated service, will be authorized a reduced CSRB payment of 18,000.00 dollars.
c. Example. A GySgt with 21 years of service will not be eligible for CSRB due to approaching service limitations as outlined in ref (B).
7. CSRB Program Statement of Understanding (SOU). The CSRB Program SOU will be completed similarly to the SRB SOU and will be part of the reenlistment package submitted in TFRS and a Marine’s service record book. The CSRB Program SOU will contain the following verbiage: I, [Rank, Last Name, MI, EDIPI] understand that, by signing this agreement, I have completed a reenlistment to obtain an additional obligated service period of [number of months] months. I certify that I have completed at least 20 years of service. Incident to this agreement, I understand that I am authorized a Critical Skills Retention Bonus (CSRB) in the amount of [amount of CSRB]. I understand that my CSRB, less taxes, will be paid in a lump sum payment. I understand that I must complete this period of additional obligated service or all unearned CSRB will be recouped. I understand that I must serve the complete period of additional obligated service at MARSOC or JSOC.
a. If a Marine fails to complete the required additional obligated service, he will become subject to recoupment of the unearned portion of the CSRB payment. This will include, but not limited to: early retirement, misconduct, or loss of critical skill.
b. Recoupment will not be required if the Marine does not complete the additional obligated service due to no fault of the Marine. This will include, but not limited to: death, illness, injury, or other physical impairment, which was not the result of misconduct.
9. Disbursing Office (DO)/Finance Office (FO) payment procedures. Unlike SRB, payment of CSRB will not be generated automatically after entry of the reenlistment into MCTFS. A NAVMC 11116 is required to be submitted for payment of CSRB. Upon receipt of the NAVMC 11116, the DO/FO will verify the Marine meets the requirements for CSRB via the supporting documentation submitted with the NAVMC 11116 and that the 304 Obligation Remark has posted to MCTFS. Supporting documentation should include the CSRB Program SOU signed by the Marine and their completed reenlistment contract. Upon verification of eligibility and in accordance with the Marine Corps Total Force Automated Pay Systems Manual (APSM), the DO/FO will report TTC 580/000 as follows: 580/000 CRED CSRB [Number of years of agreement] | [MOS] | [# of installments] | [date of reenlistment].
10. This message is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
11. This message cancels on 30 September 2018.
12. Release authorized by BGen S. F. Benedict, Director, Manpower Plans and Policy Division, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//