THIRTY-SEVENTH EXECUTIVE FORCE PRESERVATION BOARD RESULTS
Date Signed: 1/8/2018
MARADMINS Number: 013/18
R 081605Z JAN 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/THIRTY-SEVENTH EXECUTIVE FORCE PRESERVATION BOARD RESULTS//
REF/A/MSG/CMC SD WASHINGTON DC/251500Z SEP 17//
REF/B/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/19MAR2012//
NARR/REF A IS THE 37TH EXECUTIVE FORCE PRESERVATION BOARD ANNOUNCEMENT. REF B IS CMC POLICY MEMO 1-12, MARINE CORPS EXECUTIVE FORCE PRESERVATION BOARD CHARTER.//
POC/LTCOL ADAM PASTOR/POLICY BRANCH HEAD/COMM: (703)604-4362/DSN: 664-4362/ADAM.PASTOR@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Executive Force Preservation Board (EFPB) establishes safety and force preservation policy and guidance for the Marine Corps. Per the references, the EFPB convened its 37th meeting at the Pentagon and via secure video teleconference on 12 October 2017 from 1300-1630 EDT.
2. EFPB members or their representatives in attendance were:
Gen Walters ACMC
MajGen Padilla DMCS Rep
BGen Gering DC AVN Rep
MajGen Banta DC PR Rep
Dr. Calhoun DC IL/COMMCICOM Rep
LtGen Brilakis COMMARFORCOM
BGen Cavanaugh COMMARFORPAC Rep
LtGen McMillian COMMARFORRES
Col Grass COMMARFORSOC Rep
Col Farrell COMMARFORSOUTH Rep
LtGen Craparotta CG I MEF
BGen Langley CG II MEF Rep
Col Odom CG III MEF Rep
SES Hanley DASN Safety
Col Feyedelem CG MARCORLOGCOM Rep
CAPT Kennedy Chaplain of the Marine Corps Rep
CAPT DeCicco Dir Health Services Rep
Mr. Natividad COMNAVSAFECEN Rep
BGen Stein Dir MF Div
Mr. Vogt IGMC Rep
LtCol Acosta Dir Safety Div (SD)
MajGen Iiams MCCDC/CG TECOM Rep
Col Bartelt OUSMCC Rep
Dr. Bermes HQMC G-10
SgtMaj Green SMMC
3. The EFPB agenda included presentation and discussion of the following:
a. Presentation of the 2016 Marine Corps Ground Safety Awards
b. ACMC Opening Remarks
c. HQMC G-10 Update
d. Commander's Forum
e. Force Preservation Program Tool Advocacy Brief by MARCORSYSCOM
f. Motorcycle Safety Round Table
g. EFPB Task Review
4. EFPB Tasks
a. The following tasks have been closed:
1. (EFPB 36-01) - CMC(SD) conduct Tactical Safety Specialist (TSS) capability review.
2. (EFPB 36-02) – HQMC C4 develop and publish an expedited process to grant authority to operate (ATO) to fleet-produced mobile applications on MCEN.
3. (EFPB 36-03) - MARFORPAC provide a decision paper to the ACMC on business rules/processes for conducting effective handoff between units.
4. (EFPB 36-04) - MARFORCOM define requirement for a single data repository information system for Force Preservation data.
5. (EFPB 36-05) – MF coordinate with OUSMCC to develop COAs to modify "Pure Praxis" presentation to support CMC theme "Join the Conversation."
b. The following tasks remain open, as amended below:
1. (EFPB 35-02) – CMC(SD) present a Decision Brief on implementation of Improved Risk Management training.
2. (EFPB 36-06) – MF deliver an Information Brief on the RAND study of MF Program Effectiveness to the 37th EFPB. Deliver as desk brief to the ACMC.
c. The following new tasks have been assigned. These tasks will be formally promulgated via DON Tracker.
1. (EFPB 37-01) - CMC(SD) coordinate with SJA, MFP, MFC, and MARFORRES to develop policy to ensure that procedures for conducting safety and command investigations do not create conflicts or unreasonable barriers to prosecution. Advise on necessary changes to relevant curricula. Propose guidance to commanders to weigh benefits of safety investigation versus prosecution in cases where privileged safety information jeopardizes prosecution. Provide information brief and proposed guidance to ACMC.
2. (EFPB 37-02) - MCICOM coordinate with CMC(SD), PP&O, and HQMC G-10 to develop and implement procedures to ensure motorcycle riders are in compliance with training requirements upon entry to USMC installations. Deliver decision brief to ACMC.
3. (EFPB 37-03) - MF deliver an information paper on the source, implementation, and impact of the requirement for SAPRs to have adjudicated Tier 3 security clearances prior to full performance of duties. Coordinate to MARFORs and MCICOM to determine impact of policy. Recommend changes to or waivers of policy required to allow timely performance of full duties by newly hired SAPRs.
4. (EFPB 37-04) - MARFORCOM conduct user review panel and requirement refinement for the Force Preservation Program Tool (formerly ICM-RMS). Coordinate with MARFORPAC, MARFORRES, G-10, and MF to host user panels to review project status and refine product to best meet requirements in FRD and EFPB Task 36-04. Coordinate with MARCORSYSCOM Program Manager.
5. (EFPB 37-05) - CMC(SD) coordinate with HQMC G-10 to provide an information brief to ACMC on USMC motorcycle ridership. Contextualize USMC rider population demographics within broader US ridership trends and identify meaningful difference in population/ridership data.
6. (EFPB 37-06) - CMC(SD) coordinate with DC CD&I, DC P&R, DC M&RA, MARFORPAC, MARFORCOM, MARFORRES, and MCICOM to reconcile civilian safety and occupational health GS-series structure, provide Tactical Safety Specialists (TSS) to the OPFOR O-6 level, align MCPC 630604 CIVPERS funds with structure, and implement controls to prevent reversion of billets or diversion of CIVPERS funds to other non-safety requirements. Present an information brief to the ACMC and identify all stakeholders' positions.
7. (EFPB 37-07) - HQMC G-10 develop policy for the handoff of Force Preservation Council information between commands. Coordinate with MARFORPAC to accomplish IAW EFPB Task 36-03. Address necessary changes to existing orders, policy, and processes. Provide draft and recommendation to the ACMC.
8. (EFPB 37-08) - CMC(SD) revise EFPB Charter to update membership to include DC for Information.
5. Force Preservation Initiatives
a. Initiatives submitted to the 37th EFPB for FY18 funding are under review by the ACMC. Due to reliance on sweep-up money to fund these initiatives, a decision and funding date cannot be provided at this time. CMC(SD) will communicate funding decisions to the requesting organizations as they are made.
b. DC I&L Rep Dr. Calhoun identified under-finding of Installations' P1 accounts as shortfall that necessitates EFPB Initiative submissions. DC I&L recommended a minimum floor of $1 million annually for P1 funding and/or EFPB Initiatives in combination to meet urgent Installations' requirements within year of execution.
6. The 38th EFPB is tentatively scheduled during April 2017 in the National Capital Region. CMC(SD) will host an in-progress review of assigned tasks and develop an agenda for the 38th EFPB in mid-January, 2018. Coordinating instructions will be issued via SEPCOR.
7. CMC (SD) will announce the 38th EFPB schedule, agenda, and coordinating instructions via separate correspondence, NLT 15 February.
8. Semper Fidelis, Glenn M. Walters, General, U.S. Marine Corps, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps.//