ANNOUNCEMENT OF TWICE PASSED CAPTAIN AVIATORS SELECTED FOR CONTINUATION
Date Signed: 1/17/2018
MARADMINS Number: 039/18
R 172103Z JAN 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA//
SUBJ/ANNOUNCEMENT OF TWICE PASSED CAPTAIN AVIATORS SELECTED FOR CONTINUATION//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/SECNAV N132F PERS-49/30JAN2006//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASH DC MMSR/26NOV2013//
REF/D/MSGID: MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM/061238ZJUL17//
REF/E/MSGID: MSG/SECNAV WASHINGTON DC/221247ZDEC17//
REF/H/MSGID: MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP/311723ZDEC13//
REF/I/MSGID: MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA/1020162ZAUG17//
NARR/REF (A) IS TITLE 10, U.S.C. SECTS 632, 637, AND 1174. REF (B) IS SECNAV INSTRUCTION 1920.7B, CONTINUATION ON ACTIVE DUTY OF REGULAR COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND RESERVE OFFICERS ON THE RESERVE ACTIVE STATUS LIST IN THE NAVY AND MARINE CORPS. REF (C) IS MARINE CORPS ORDER 1900.16 CH1, SEPARATION AND RETIREMENT MANUAL. REF (D) IS MARADMIN 352/17, CONVENING OF THE FY19 U.S. MARINE CORPS COLONEL, LIEUTENANT COLONEL, MAJOR, AND CAPTAIN PROMOTION SELECTION BOARDS. REF (E) IS ALNAV 078/17, FY-19 U.S. MARINE CORPS MAJOR SELECTIONS. REF (F) IS TITLE 38, U.S.C. SECT 3319. REF (G) IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 1341.13, POST-9/11 GI BILL. REF (H) IS MARADMIN 704/13, UPDATE TO TRANSFER OF EDUCATION BENEFITS (TEB) POLICY. REF (I) IS MARADMIN 432/17, THE ACTIVE COMPONENT (AC) TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM (DAP).//
POC/L. SIMONE/CAPT/CMC MMSR-2/-/TEL: DSN 278-9324//
POC/C. RATEIKE/MAJ/CMC MPP-30/-/TEL: DSN 278-9365//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN initiates notification of, and establishes procedures for, those aviators who have been selected for continuation on active duty after being twice-passed for selection to Major.
2. Company grade aviator inventory levels are at such a level that continuation of active duty Captain aviators, who have twice failed selection to the rank of Major, is being offered to select aviators. Those officers selected for continuation are offered the opportunity to remain on active duty as specified in references (a) through (c) and detailed below.
3. All Captain aviators in the above-zone per reference (d), but not selected in reference (e) are directed to log in to Marine Online (MOL) to check for notification of continuation status. Those Captain aviators who have been selected for continuation will receive a notice upon logging in to MOL.
4. MMSR-2 will enter the mandatory separation or retirement date (MSR) of 1 July 2021 into Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) for all affected officers. Notifications to commands will be through the Diary Feedback Report (DFR) to the respective Installation Personnel Administration Centers (IPAC).
5. Affected officers shall be counseled regarding the ramifications of accepting or declining continuation, in accordance with reference (a).
5.a. The counseling officer should be a Marine officer in the grade of O-5 or higher in the affected officer's immediate chain of command. Affected officers with unique situations in which a Marine officer meeting the above criteria is not reasonably available shall contact Headquarters, Marine Corps for guidance. Contact information is located in the header information of this message.
5.b. All officers selected for continuation shall submit a NAVMC-118(11) (Page 11) entry, signed by themselves and their counseling officer, to Headquarters, Marine Corps, Separation and Retirement Branch (MMSR-2(O)). The Page 11 entry shall state: "I have been counseled on the ramifications of continuation on active duty for a period of 36 months. I have read and understand sections 632, 637, and 1174 of Title 10, U.S. Code, pertaining to failure of selection, continuation and subsequent separation." Page 11 entries shall be scanned and emailed to MMSR-2(O) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Acceptance of continuation.
6.a. Officers who accept continuation will incur a 36-month active duty service extension beginning 1 July 2018 and ending 1 July 2021. This continuation period will run concurrently with, not in place of, any existing obligation.
6.b. Officers selected for continuation are considered to have accepted the offer of continuation if no action is taken by 2359 EST, 15 February 2018. These officers will retain the MSR of 1 July 2021. Affected officers shall communicate their intent to accept or decline continuation to their monitor.
6.c. Officers electing to decline continuation shall express their declination and intent to be separated via signed NAVMC Form 10274, Administrative Action Form (AA form) to MMSR-2(O) prior to 2359 EST, 15 February 2018. AA forms shall state that the officer declines continuation on active duty and that they accept separation on 1 July 2018. AA forms shall be scanned and emailed to MMSR-2(O) at email@example.com and affected officer's monitor.
6.d. Pursuant to references (f) through (h), officers who have been approved to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill (i.e., TEB) are reminded that any amount of transferred education benefits that are used by a dependent(s) of a member who fails to complete the agreed upon additional obligated service (i.e., indicated by your TEB Obligation Date) will be treated as an overpayment of educational assistance and subject to collection by the Veterans Administration (VA). Specifically:
(1) Failure to complete the agreed upon additional obligation service will not occur:
(a) If you decline continuation, and request a separation date on/after your TEB Obligation Date (e.g., TEB Obligation Date is on/before 7/1/2018, and requested separation date is on/after 7/1/2018).
(b) If you accept continuation, and serve to your current TEB Obligation Date or the maximum amount of time authorized by law or policy (e.g., MSR is 7/1/2020, and TEB Obligation Date is 12/13/2020).
(2) Failure to complete the agreed upon additional obligated service will occur if you decline continuation, and your requested separation date is prior to your TEB Obligation Date (e.g., TEB Obligation Date is 7/1/2018, and requested separation date is 6/30/2018).
(3) Officers previously approved to TEB may also complete their TEB-related service obligation by direct affiliation into the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (with no break in service). Information regarding direct affiliation is available in reference (i).
6.e. Acceptance of continuation will make officers eligible for permanent change of station orders, permanent change of assignment orders, or an extension of current orders. Affected officers should contact MMOA-2 to discuss future opportunities on continuation. Fixed Wing Company Grade Monitor, Capt Kyle Bookhout, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rotary Wing Company Grade Monitor, Capt Tim Nolan, (703) 784-9267, e-mail: email@example.com.
7. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Reserve Component.
8. Release authorized by LtGen Michael A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//