CONVENING OF THE FISCAL YEAR (FY) 18 SPECIAL TECHNICAL OPERATIONS (STO) FREE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (FMOS) SELECTION PANEL
Date Signed: 1/23/2018
MARADMINS Number: 049/18
R 231224Z JAN 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC PPO PL WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/CONVENING OF THE FISCAL YEAR (FY) 18 SPECIAL TECHNICAL OPERATIONS (STO) FREE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (FMOS) SELECTION PANEL//
NARR/REF A IS THE CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS INSTRUCTION FOR INTEGRATED JOINT SPECIAL TECHNICAL OPERATIONS. REF B IS THE MARINE CORPS ORDER FOR INTEGRATED JOINT SPECIAL TECHNICAL OPERATIONS. REF C IS THE MARINE CORPS MOS MANUAL.//
POC/DANIELLE THOMAS/MAJ/PPO PLI/TEL: (703) 695-0196/EMAIL: DANIELLE.E.THOMAS@USMC.MIL//
POC/BURKETT COCHRANE/CIV/PPO PLI/TEL: (703) 695-0187/EMAIL: BURKETT.COCHRANE@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN announces the convening of the FY18 Special Technical Operations (STO) 8016 Free Military Occupational Specialty (FMOS) selection panel. The selection panel will convene at HQMC from 12-16 March 2018 and is open to officers from O-1 to O-6, as well as enlisted Marines from E-5 to E-9, who have acquired the requisite operational planning and security skills identified in references (a) and (b).
2. Eligible applicants must currently be or have previously served in an Integrated Joint Special Technical Operations (IJSTO) indoctrinated billet where STO was a primary function. Furthermore, applicants must provide detailed justification if they have not completed the STO training requirements outlined in reference (c):
(1) Complete a STO Planners Course that meets Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (CJCS) academic requirement.
(2) Complete the CJCS-approved Planning and Decision Aid System (PDAS) Operators Course.
(3) Perform at least six months in an overseas billet where STO was the primary billet responsibility or one year in a CONUS billet that required the performance of STO functions as the primary duty.
(4) Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of STO and conduct on-the-job training that emphasizes the integration of STO functions into Coalition, Joint, or Marine Corps plans and operations. (5) Serve in a STO Planner position at the national or operational level in support of CJCS, Combatant Command, or Service STO requirements.
3. Interested applicants should contact the 8016 Occupational Field Sponsor at (703) 695-0196 for specific guidance on submission requirements. The primary medium for application will be via SIPRNET email to both POCs. Hard copy applications will not be accepted. Applications must be received no later than 2 March 2018.
4. The selection panel will be comprised of representatives from the Strategy and Plans Division (PL) who have appropriate combined, joint, and service-level experience of STO operations and administration. The panel will individually screen each applicants operational experience, security management credentials, pertinent academic information, and command endorsement to ensure that they meet the 8016 FMOS requirements.
5. A subsequent MARADMIN will announce the results of the 8016 selection panel. PL will forward the names of the Marines approved for the 8016 FMOS to MMOA or MMEA, as appropriate, for entry into the respective Marine’s record.
6. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
7. Release authorized by GS15 Jeffrey L. DeWeese, Deputy Director, Strategy and Plans Division, Plans, Policies and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps.//