FY19 HQMC SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT SELECTION TEAM (HSST)
Date Signed: 1/30/2018
MARADMINS Number: 061/18
R 301642Z JAN 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FY19 HQMC SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT SELECTION TEAM (HSST) PROCESS//
REF/A/MSGID: MSG/CMC MRA/13DEC17//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC MPO/2JUN16//
REF/C/MSGID: MSG/CMC MRA MM/21JUL17//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/CMC MPO/18SEP14//
REF/E/MSGID: DOC/CMC MMEA-6/8SEP10//
REF/F/MSGID: MSG/CMC MRA MM/6OCT16//
NARR/REF A IS MARADMIN 676/17 ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF CHANGE TO MCO P1326.6D, SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS (SDAMAN). REF B IS MCBUL 1020, MARINE CORPS TATTOO POLICY. REF C IS MARADMIN 381/17, HQMC SDA VOLUNTEER PERIOD. REF D IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENTS POLICY. REF E IS MCO 1040.31, ENLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. REF F IS MARADMIN 531/16, FY17 SDA COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS//
POC/M. A. MARKHAM/LTCOL/MMEA-2/TEL: 703-784-9947/EMAIL: MATTHEW.MARKHAM@USMC.MIL//
POC/I. O. GOUDYREV/MAJ/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-432-9472/EMAIL: IVAN.GOUDYREV@USMC.MIL//
POC/D. P. HOOPER/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-784-9335/EMAIL: DONALD.P.HOOPER@USMC.MIL//
POC/K. A. HOFFMAN/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-784-9257/EMAIL: KURT.HOFFMAN@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. B. MILLSAP/GYSGT/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-432-9745/EMAIL: JUSTIN.MILLSAP@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message initiates the FY19 Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) Special Duty Assignment (SDA) Selection Team (HSST) screening process. HQMC aims to select and assign the most qualified and capable Marines to duties as Recruiter, Drill Instructor, and Marine Security Guard (MSG) Detachment Commander.
2. Eligible Marines. A list of Marines that meet the criteria for assignment to SDA is available at https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/SDA/MMEA-25 and will be released via the Automated Message Handling System (AMHS) and the Total Force Retention System (TFRS). The identified Marines are required to be screened by Commanding Officers, utilizing the instructions and checklists available at the web address provided above and via AMHS and TFRS. Per reference (a), MCO P1326.6D (SDAMAN) is undergoing a comprehensive re-write and will not be utilized for screening. The provided instructions and checklists replace guidance provided within MCO P1326.6D.
3. Submission Guidelines. Commands will submit completed SDA packages on all identified Marines to Manpower Management Enlisted Assignments (MMEA) electronically via a TFRS SDA with Extension/HSST Reenlistment Extension Lateral Move (RELM) request no later than 1 April 2018. Each package will include, at a minimum, the following items:
3.a. Applicable Screening Checklists, per guidance provided in paragraph 4, and Financial Worksheet provided via sources identified in paragraph 2.
3.b. 360 degree photos in green on green PT gear, as well as individual photos or sketches of all tattoos. Utilize measuring tools provided in reference (b) for any tattoos in or near areas prohibited by the reference.
3.c. Records of disciplinary actions contained in the Marines service record.
3.d. Chain of command RELM comments and recommendations.
3.e. Security Clearance Eligibity Letter.
4. Checklists must be completed for Marines as they pertain to the Marines grade.
4.a. Corporals and Sergeants: Recruiting Duty and Drill Instructor Duty checklists are required.
4.b. Staff Sergeants: Recruiting Duty and Drill Instructor Duty checklists are required. MSG Detachment Commander Checklists must be completed by Staff Sergeants that have more than one year time in grade at the time of screening.
4.c. Gunnery Sergeants: Recruiting Duty and MSG Detachment Commander Duty checklists are required. Drill Instructor checklist may be completed if a Gunnery Sergeants SDA preference is Drill Instructor Duty.
5. For Marines found not qualified for SDA, Commanders will provide source documentation of disqualifying criteria and estimated date of return to qualified status, in order to make accurate determination for SDA class assignment and retention. Examples include Medical Officer prognosis letter for projected date of SDA assignability, legal documents that show conflict with SDA class dates, page 11 entries for assignment to Body Composition Program or PFT/CFT failure. Unit Diary entries must be reflected in Marine Corps Total Force System for the disqualifying status in order to make determination for disqualification.
6. All identified Marines will complete the FY19 SDA Survey located at https:(slash)(slash)survey.max.gov/967752 in order to account for individual Marines preferences when making duty assignments.
7. Volunteer Submission period has ended in accordance with reference (c). However, Marines not directed for HSST screening may continue to submit applications in accordance with paragraph 3.
8. Between 1 February and 1 May 2018, electronic SDA packages will be screened by the HSST members and qualified Marines will be assigned to the available SDA classes. During screening, SDA class assignments will be made on the “first-come, first-serve” basis in accordance with each Marines preferences and qualifications, command recommendations, and remaining SDA vacancies upon receipt of the SDA package. Final assignments will be announced via separate correspondence and published via TFRS and AMHS during May 2018. Once the approved RELM with designated class assignment is returned to the unit, Marines will have no more than 15 days to accept the obligated service. Those Marines that decline to gain the obligated service necessary for their assignment to an SDA will be issued an RE-3O reenlistment code in accordance with references (d) and (e).
9. MMEA Roadshow. Beginning in July 2018, SDA monitors and SDA school representatives will conduct visits to major Marine Corps bases and installations in order to provide an opportunity for Marines, assigned to FY19 classes, to interact with SDA monitors and SDA school representatives. This visit will be coordinated as a part of the main MMEA Roadshow. Refinements or adjustments to the SDA class slate will be done after the Roadshow. Commands must submit official requests via AMHS, or TFRS as appropriate, in order to make class adjustments. Additional information and coordinating instructions for the MMEA Roadshow will be released via separate correspondence.
10. Once final assignments to SDA classes are made, Commanders are reminded that they must recertify Marines between 60 and 45 days prior to their SDA class date. Failure to properly rescreen Marines for SDA will result in a determination of noncompliance in accordance with reference (f).
11. The process for FY19 assignments to screenable billets a Combat Instructor, Marine Corps Security Forces Guard, and Marine Security Guard Watch Stander will be announced via separate correspondence.
12. Release authorized by MajGen Robert F. Castellvi, Director, Manpower Management Division.//