MARINE CORPS OBSERVANCE OF APRIL 2018 SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS AND PREVENTION MONTH
Date Signed: 2/2/2018
MARADMINS Number: 075/18
R 022115Z FEB 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS OBSERVANCE OF APRIL 2018 SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS AND PREVENTION MONTH//
POC/L.REED/UNIT: MFB/-/TEL: 703-432-9693/EMAIL: LINDSAY.REED@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the Department of Defense (DoD) and Marine Corps observance of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM) in April 2018.
2. Background. April is nationally recognized as Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. In April 2018, the DoD will mark its 14th annual observance of SAAPM with the ongoing theme “Protecting Our People Protects Our Mission.” This theme emphasizes every Service member, regardless of rank, can encourage behaviors that foster a climate of dignity and respect, and in doing so, help ensure our readiness to complete the mission.
3. SAAPM is an opportunity to highlight Marine Corps Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) progress and ensure our momentum continues. Since the April 2016 SAAPM, the SAPR Program has marked several significant achievements. However, progress is not victory and we must continue our fight against sexual assault.
4. The Marine Corps remains committed to the elimination of this crime from our ranks, and individual Marines are doing their part to reach this goal. Our leaders are working diligently to set command climates that are non-permissive of sexual assault, retaliation-free and encourage reporting. Our commanders, Sexual Assault Response Coordinators (SARCs), SAPR Victim Advocates (VAs), medical providers, counselors, and Victims’ Legal Counsel provide responsive, sensitive, and timely support for victims of sexual assault. Our investigative agencies and judge advocates ensure each Unrestricted Report of sexual assault properly advances through the military justice process. Most notably, Marines of all ranks and occupational specialties are taking action to step up and step in to prevent sexual assault and retaliation against those who report.
5. Marines are encouraged to show their support to the SAPR Program by attending locally scheduled events during the 2018 SAAPM. Please see your SARC or SAPR VA for a list of SAAPM events in your area or to help organize an event.
6. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
7. This MARADMIN is cancelled 1 May 2018.
8. Release authorized by BGen K. W. Stein, Director, Marine and Family Programs Division.//