MARADMINS : 244/18
R 301540Z APR 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC CDI WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/RESULTS OF THE MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS) CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 2ND QTR OF FY18 AND THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 3RD AND 4TH QTRS OF FY18//
REF/A/MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI/R 232102Z NOV 16//
REF/B/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/-/25SEP08//
NARR/REF A ANNOUNCED THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 2ND QTR OF FY18 AND REF B IS MCO 3902.1D, MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS)//
POC/JAMES A. EVANS/GS15/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8124/EMAIL: JAMES.A.EVANS@USMC.MIL//
POC/L. R. WATTS/GS13/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8189/EMAIL: LISA.WATTS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Per references (a) and (b), this message announces the results of the Call for Studies for the 2nd QTR of FY18. This message also announces the Call for Studies for the 3rd and 4th QTRS of FY18 (see paragraph 7).
2. Tier I studies are considered appropriate studies that meet the criteria provided in ref (a) as delineated by the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) and Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration, (DC, CDI). These studies will commence as soon as possible. Tier II nominations are those found to be analytically sound and worthy of execution but either cannot be executed with available resources and/or require further development (e.g., refinement of study scope).
3. The following FY18 2nd QTR study nominations are Tier I (sponsor in parentheses).
3.A. Aviation Ground Support, (DC, CDI)
3.B. Dependency Visualization and Analysis in Support of POM Planning, (DC, CDI)
3.C. Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) to Determine the Feasibility of Relocating Marine Corps Communications-Electronics School (MCCES), from MCAGCC 29 Palms, California to Camp Pendleton, California, (CO, MCCES)
3.D. Gender Integration of the Ground Combat Arms Military Occupational Specialties, (DIR, FPD(G-10))
4. The following FY18 2nd QTR study nominations are Tier II:
4.A. Comprehensive Marine Intercept Program Evaluation, (DC, MRA)
4.B. Connector Gap and Commercial Capacity in the South Pacific, (DC, CDI)
4.C. Understanding the Environmental Risk Factors for Sexual Assault at Marine Corps Installations, (DC, MRA)
5. The OAD government study lead appointed to oversee each accepted study will contact the agency POC as provided in the study nomination to prepare for study execution. Those study nominations not listed above were not accepted for execution. POCs for not accepted study nominations will be contacted via email by the Director, External Analysis Division.
6. Per reference (b), Marine Corps Commands and Activities that have commissioned studies and analyses outside of the Marine Corps Studies System (MCSS) are required to notify OAD (c 19) of such initiatives, to include the purpose and scope of their respective efforts. Additionally, electronic copies of completed studies and analytical efforts shall be provided to OAD (c 19) for inclusion into the MCSS repository. This can be accomplished by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. This message also announces the MCSS Call for Studies for the 3rd QTR of FY18 and solicits nominations for relevant and impactful studies. The nomination period is 14 May 2018 through 15 June 2018. The Studies Review Board will meet on 26-27 June 2018 at 18354 Quantico Gateway Dr Suite 100 Triangle, VA 22172. While the SRB will consider all nominations, preference will be given to those soliciting analytical support to issues derived from recently signed (e.g. Littoral Operations in Contested Environments, LOCE) and draft (e.g. Expeditionary Advanced Base Operations, EABO) Naval concepts as applied within the context of a Joint campaign against near-peer adversaries. Examples include nominations related to the organization, equipment, and use of Littoral Combat Groups (LCGs) and EABO in future conflicts versus the pacing threat established in the Defense Planning Guidance. The unique role of Marine forces operating within "blunt" and "contact" layers, the development of theater specific long-range connectors, and the innovative use of MPF/MSC/Amphibious shipping.
8. Action. Organizations and individuals interested in submitting a study nomination shall meet the following requirements IAW ref (b).
8.A. Nominations must have approval and support of a senior officer (Colonel/GS-15 civilian or above) at the submitting command, who shall be the study sponsor.
8.B. Each Study Project Officer (SPO), assigned by the study sponsor, must be a Marine or government employee. Contractors are not permitted to act as the SPO. The SPO must be available to assist in developing the performance work statement or study plan, have sufficient time at his/her current assignment to support study performer(s), and assist with the collection of data and completion of the study.
9. Nominations will be submitted via email. You may request a nomination form by emailing email@example.com. This form is the only acceptable form for submission. Nominations submitted using any other form shall be returned for resubmission. Completed forms shall be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Nominations may be submitted at any time, however, non-urgent requirements will be held until the next SRB.
11. Assistance and consultation in shaping study nominations is available from Mr. James Evans at email@example.com. To obtain additional information regarding OAD study nomination submissions, please visit http:(slash)(slash)www.mccdc.marines.mil/Units/OAD/Marine-Corps-Study-System.aspx or you may contact the Director, External Analysis Division, Mr. James A. Evans, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Questions regarding this announcement or the MCSS process may be directed to Lisa Watts, email: email@example.com.
13. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Robert S. Walsh, Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration.//