FISCAL YEAR 2020 (FY20) HEADQUARTERS MARINE CORPS SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT VOLUNTEER PERIOD (SDAVP)
Date Signed: 7/6/2018
MARADMINS Number: 379/18
R 051745Z JUL 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2020 (FY20) HEADQUARTERS MARINE CORPS SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT VOLUNTEER PERIOD (SDAVP)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MMEA-85/15OCT 2012//
REF/B/MSGID: MSG/CMC MMEA-1/11JUN18//
AMPN/REF A IS MCO P1326.6D W CH2, SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS AND INDEPENDENT DUTIES (SDAMAN). REF B IS FY19 ENLISTED RETENTION CAMPAIGN.//
POC/D. T. KOVATCH/MAJ/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-432-9472 EMAIL: DANIEL.KOVATCH@USMC.MIL//
POC/K. A. HOFFMAN/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-784-9257 EMAIL: KURT.HOFFMAN@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. B. MILLSAP/GYSGT/RETENTION LIAISON/TEL: 703-432-9745 EMAIL: JUSTIN.MILLSAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/D. P. COHEN/GYSGT/Unit: MMEA-25/TEL: (703) 432-9745 EMAIL: DEREK.COHEN@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) Special Duty Assignment Volunteer Period (SDAVP) and provides coordinating instructions for requesting billets as Recruiter, Drill Instructor, and Marine Security Guard Detachment Commander. During the SDAVP, qualified volunteers will be given an opportunity to request first priority assignment to billets in the FY20 Special Duty Assignments or remaining FY19 billets.
2. Background. A successful SDA tour is a hallmark for a competitive Marine and makes him or her exceptionally qualified for promotion. In addition to opportunities for SNCO meritorious promotions, financial incentives, and duty station preference, an SDA tour is intellectually rewarding and physically and mentally challenging. In order to allow volunteers to have a first look at FY20 available SDA billets, HQMC is creating a volunteer submission period, immediately preceding the involuntary screening and assignment period via the HQMC SDA Screening Team (HSST).
3. Situation. From the publication date of this MARADMIN to 31 December 2019, HQMC will accept and review volunteer packages for potential assignment to an SDA of the Marine’s choice. Upon conclusion of FY20 SDAVP, HQMC will continue to accept and screen volunteers; however, volunteers will no longer have priority for assignment and may be restricted by Primary MOS requirements. The screening and involuntary assignment of remaining USMC population of qualified applicants will begin immediately after FY20 SDAVP via the FY20 HSST.
4. Execution. During FY20 SDAVP HQMC is accepting volunteers from all MOSs. The following MOSs have open FY19 SDA allocations and are accepting volunteers for assignment to FY19 classes: 0369, 04XX, 0629, 0639, 0671, 0679, 0681, 0688.
4. a. Marines must meet 24 months Time-On-Station (TOS) in the geographical location prior to the start date of the SDA class.
4. b. Marines who have executed a lateral move into their present MOS are not eligible to submit for voluntary assignment unless they have completed 36 months in that MOS prior to class start date.
4. c. Marines who have previously completed an SDA must have been in the operating forces for a minimum of 24 months prior to class start date.
4. d. Marines who wish to volunteer for assignment to an SDA must submit a “SDA RELM” using the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to HQMC with the assistance of the unit career planner.
4. e. Career planners should include a comment in the RELM about the Marine’s preference.
5. Marines that volunteer for an SDA during this period, and are eligible to reenlist during FY19, will qualify for a FY19 Selective Retention Bonus (SRB) SDA Kicker. Amplifying details for individual qualifications and the SRB amounts will be released via separate correspondence.
5. a. Only Marines volunteering for their first tour of duty as Recruiter (BMOS 8411), Drill Instructor (BMOS 0911), or Marine Security Guard Detachment Commander (BMOS 8156 with class code: 58L) are eligible for FY19 SRB SDA Kicker. The bonus will be awarded after receipt of the BMOS. Marines volunteering for a second SDA tour are not eligible for the FY19 SRB SDA Kicker.
5. b. Marines that volunteer for an SDA during this period, and are eligible to reenlist during FY20, may be eligible for an FY20 SRB SDA Kicker based on future SRB guidance.
5. c. Marines that volunteer for an SDA during this period, and are eligible to reenlist during FY21 or beyond, are not eligible for a FY19 SRB SDA Kicker.
5. d. Marines that are involuntarily assigned to an SDA during the annual HSST process are not eligible for the FY19 SRB SDA Kicker.
6. Questions regarding the FY20 SDAVP should be referred to POCs listed above.
7. Release authorized by MajGen Craig C. Crenshaw, Director, Manpower Management Division.//