2018 GENERAL OFFICERS, SENIOR EXECUTIVE SERVICE MEMBERS, AND SERGEANTS MAJOR PARTICIPATION IN MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALLS
Date Signed: 8/8/2018
MARADMINS Number: 434/18
R 081400Z AUG 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ//2018 GENERAL OFFICERS, SENIOR EXECUTIVE SERVICE MEMBERS, AND SERGEANTS MAJOR PARTICIPATION IN MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALLS//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC GREEN LETTER NO. 02-13/YMD: 20130513//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/SECNAVINST 5720.44C W/CH-1/YMD: 20120221//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/MCO 7040.11A/YMD: 20080804//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/DOD DIRECTIVE 4500.56 W/CH-3/YMD: 20090414//
NARR/REF A IS CMC GREEN LETTER 2-13, SENIOR OFFICIAL SPOUSAL TRAVEL. REF B IS SECNAVINST 5720.44B, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS POLICY AND REGULATIONS. REF C IS MCO 7040.11A, MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALL FUNDING. REF D IS DOD DIRECTIVE 4500.56, DOD POLICY ON THE USE OF GOVERNMENT AIRCRAFT AND AIR TRAVEL.//
POC/CHRISTIE EVERETT/MAJ/UNIT: DMCS/NAME: CMC WASHINGTON/TEL: 703-692-2829/E-MAIL: CHRISTIE.EVERETT@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN provides guidance regarding travel of Marine Corps General Officers (GO), Senior Executive Service members (SES), Sergeants Major (SgtsMaj), and any other Marines serving in an active duty capacity, to act as the guests of honor (GOH) or guest speakers for 2018 Marine Corps Birthday Ball Celebrations per refs (a) – (d). This MARADMIN does not apply to GOH or guest speakers who are not employed by the government or are not serving in an active duty capacity.
2. Guidance. Due to the challenges of today's fiscal environment, the Marine Corps will minimize government funded travel for active duty GOHs to attend Marine Corps Birthday Balls. Commands, units, or organizations requesting active duty GOHs to attend Birthday Balls should request appropriate representatives from the local area.
3. Approval. GOH travel outside the local area requires approval and determination of mission criticality from the Director of Marine Corps Staff (DMCS). Such out-of-local-area travel must be undertaken in coordination with other mission related duties.
a. Requests for GOHs from units/organizations which fall withinthe GOH's purview/command responsibilities (i.e. subordinate unit) do not require separate approval from DMCS.
b. Requests for GOHs to attend a Ball in which a GO, SES member, or SgtsMaj from outside the unit is already in attendance ora local GO, SES member, or SgtsMaj is available to attend as the GOH will not receive a favorable approval.
c. Professional stewardship of resources extends to the use of support staff and transportation resources. As such, attendance approval for a GOH at an outside Ball authorizes travel for the attending GOH and no other travelers. Requests for other travelers, to include aides, will be authorized on a case-by-case basis.
4. Funding. HQMC will not fund GOs, SES members, SgtsMaj, or any other Marine to travel to Balls.
a. Per ref (c), GOH travel will be funded with Appropriated Funds, from either the requesting unit's or the GOH's unit funds.
b. Requesting units may provide the GOH hotel rooms that were no cost to the government as long as the rooms were bargained for under the Ball support contract (i.e. contract provides some hotel guest rooms at no charge for event).
c. Non-appropriated funds, including funds raised by the Ball committee or unit fundraising, should not be used to pay for the travel costs of the GOH.
5. Spousal travel. Government funded spousal travel will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will be routed through the Counsel for the Commandant's (CL) office, to DMCS per refs (a) and (c).
a. Funding for spousal travel is limited to transportation costs. Per diem for spousal travel is not authorized.
b. GOHs should review ref (a) in its entirety prior to submitting for spousal funding approval. Requests must ensure government funded spousal travel to unit sponsored Balls is incidental to the spouse's actual participation in a separate, unquestionably official function, or where travel is in the national interest because of a diplomatic or public relations benefit to the U.S.
c. Requests for funded spousal travel that do not meet the stipulations of refs (a) and (c) will be denied.
d. Non-reimbursed spousal travel is authorized and does not require approval from DMCS.
e. Contact CL (Capt E. Styles, 703-614-2490, firstname.lastname@example.org) for the required funded spousal travel request format.
6. Gifts. Gift(s) for GOH/guest speakers should be nominal. However, due to the varying relationships of individuals presenting/contributing and receiving, each gift offering should be reviewed on a case by case basis. Furthermore, GOH/guest speakers attending multiple Balls should coordinate in advance with the units to minimize gift(s).
7. Requests. Requests for non-local GOHs to participate in a Ball should be routed directly to the DMCS POC identified in this MARADMIN.
a. Requests can be made via e-mail or formal correspondence and must contain the following:
(1) Unit hosting Ball.
(2) Date & location of Ball.
(3) Role of GO, SES member, or SgtsMaj at Ball (I.e. GOH, guest speaker, attendee, etc) and reason for attending.
(4) Identify all GOs, SES members, and SgtsMaj in attendance, and all local GOs, SES members, and SgtsMaj available but not attending.
(5) Estimated TAD costs, how costs are to be funded, and by whom.
(6) Detailed travel itinerary (i.e. departing 8 Nov via com air for arrival in Atlanta, GA, 9 Nov meeting with xyz IOT discuss xyx/conduct PME with xyz, evening of 9th attend Ball, 10 Nov return to permanent duty station via com air).
(7) Anticipated number of attendees.
(8) Whether spouse or any other personnel will also be traveling with the GOH for the Ball and how their costs to attend are to be funded.
8. Exceptions. Exceptions to this policy require approval from the ACMC via the DMCS.
9. Cancellation. This MARADMIN is canceled 31 December 2018.
10. Semper Fidelis, Michael G. Dana, Lieutenant General, U.S. Marine Corps, Director, Marine Corps Staff, HQMC//