MARADMINS : 471/18
R 271900Z AUG 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI//
SUBJ/RESULTS OF THE MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS) CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 3RD QTR OF FY18 AND THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 4TH QTR OF FY18 AND 1ST QTR OF FY19//
REF/A/MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI/ R 301540Z APR 18//
REF/B/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC /-/25SEP08//
NARR/REF A ANNOUNCED THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE 3RD QTR FY18 AND REF B IS MCO 3902.1D, MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS)//
POC/JAMES A. EVANS/GS15/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8124/EMAIL: JAMES.A.EVANS@USMC.MIL//
POC/L. R. WATTS/GS13/OAD/-/TEL:703-432-8189/EMAIL: LISA.WATTS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Per reference (A), this message announces the results of the Call for Studies for the 3rd Quarter (QTR) FY18. This message also announces the Call for Studies for the 4th QTR FY18 and 1st QTR of FY19 (see paragraph 7).
2. Tier I nominations are those considered appropriate, and meet the criteria provided in reference (B) as delineated by the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) and Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration, (DC, CDI). These nominations will commence as studies as soon as possible. Tier II nominations are those found to be analytically sound and worthy of execution, but either cannot be executed with available resources and/or require further development (e.g., refinement of study scope).
3. The following study nominations are Tier I (sponsor in parentheses).
3.A. Marine Aviation Manpower Analysis, (DC, AVN)
3.B. MEU ACE Composition in Support of National Defense Strategy (NDS) and Marine Corps Operating Concept (MOC)/Expeditionary Advance Base Operations (EABO), (DC, AVN)
3.C. Production of Marine Corps Aviators, (DC, AVN)
3.D. Reorganizing Aviation Training Command Structure, (DC, ANV)
3.E. Armored Combat Vehicles (ACV) Medium Caliber Cannon Capability Study, (DC, CDI)
3.F. Casualty Rates of EABO, (DC, CDI)
3.G. MAGTF Ground-Radar Requirements, (DC, CDI)
3.H. Peer, Near-Peer Threat use of Irregular Warfare in Combination with Traditional Warfare Methods, (DC, CDI)
3.I. Comprehensive Marine Intercept Program Evaluation, (DC, MRA)
3.J. Understanding the Environmental Risk Factors for Sexual Assault at Marine Corps Installations, (DC, MRA)
3.K. Operationalizing Information Environment Operations at the MARFOR, (COM, MARFORCOM)
3.L. Right-Sizing the Squadron Maintenance Department for Future Force Posture, (COM, MARFORCOM)
3.M. Analysis of Required Information Operations in Support of EABO in the Pacific, (COM, MARFORPAC)
4. The following studies are Tier II:
4.A. UAS Capability Requirements against a Peer Competitor, (DC, AVN)
4.B. Ground-Based Operational Surveillance System (GBOSS)/Long-Range Surveillance System Study, (DC, CDI)
4.C. Intelligence Support to the LCE in an EABO Environment, (DC, IL)
4.D. Marine Corps Installation Non-Tactical White Vehicle Fleet, (DC, IL)
4.E. Evaluation of Equal Opportunity Advisors Structure, (DC, MRA)
4.F. MARFORPAC Forward Prepositioned Requirements: Does Maritime Prepositioned Force Still Make Sense? (COM, MARFORPAC)
4.G. Complex Dispersed Amphibious Operations in Europe, (CG, II MEF)
4.H. Equipment Facility Support Requirement Life-Cycle Cost Analysis, (COM, MCICOM)
4.I. Further Development of a Tool to Respond to Feasibility of Support for SMCR Unit Changes, (CG, MCRC)
4.J. What is Causing Increased MCRD Attrition? (CG, MCRC)
4.K. Artificial Intelligence in the Fire Support Decision Cycle, (CG, MCWL)
4.L. Impacts of Persistent Micro Satellite Surveillance on EABO, (DIR, MCWL)
4.M. Marine Corps Security Cooperation Group Assessment Process Improvement Study, (CO, MCSCG)
5. The OAD government study lead appointed to oversee each accepted study will contact the agency POC as provided in the study nomination to prepare for study execution. Those study nominations not listed above were declined for execution. POCs for declined study nominations will be contacted via email by the Director, External Analysis Division.
6. Marine Corps Commands and Activities that have commissioned studies and analysis outside of the Marine Corps Studies System (MCSS) are required to notify OAD (C19) of such initiatives, to include the purpose and scope of their respective efforts. Additionally, electronic copies of completed studies and analytical efforts shall be provided to OAD (C19) for inclusion into the MCSS repository. This can be accomplished by emailing: email@example.com.
7. This message also announces the MCSS Call for Studies for the 4TH QTR of FY 18 and the 1ST QTR of FY19 and solicits nominations for relevant and impactful studies. The nomination period ends 17 October 2018 with the Studies Review Board (SRB) scheduled for 24 October 2018.
8. Action. Organizations and individuals interested in submitting a study nomination shall meet the following requirements:
8.A. Nominations must have approval and support, at the submitting command, of a senior officer (colonel/GS-15 civilian or above), who shall be the study sponsor.
8.B. Each Study Project Officer (SPO), assigned by the study sponsor, must be a Marine or government employee. Contractors are not permitted to act as the SPO. The SPO must be available to assist in developing the performance work statement or study plan, have sufficient time at his/her current assignment to support study performers and assist with the collection of data and completion of the study.
9. Nominations will be submitted via email. You may request a nomination form by emailing mcss(at)usmc.mil. This form is the only acceptable form for submission. Nominations submitted using any other form shall be returned for resubmission. Completed forms shall be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Nominations may be submitted at any time, however, non-urgent requirements will be held until the next SRB.
11. Assistance and consultation in shaping study nominations is available from Mr. James Evans at email@example.com. To obtain additional information regarding OAD study nomination submissions, please visit http:(slash)(slash)www.mccdc.marines.mil/Units/OAD/Marine-Corps-Study-System.aspx or you may contact the director, External Analysis Division, Mr. James A. Evans, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Questions regarding the MCSS process may be directed to Lisa Watts, email: email@example.com.
13. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Robert S. Walsh, Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration.//