MARADMINS : 483/18
R 041755Z SEP 18
MSGID/MARADMIN/CMC OUSMCC WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/REDESIGNATION OF THE OFFICE OF U.S. MARINE CORPS COMMUNICATION AND NAMING GUIDANCE FOR THE 45XX OCCUPATIONAL FIELD//
NARR/REF IS GUIDANCE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE 45XX COMMUNICATION STRATEGY AND OPERATIONS (COMMSTRAT) OCCUPATIONAL FIELD (OCCFLD) THROUGH THE MERGE OF 43XX PUBLIC AFFAIRS (PA) AND 46XX COMBAT CAMERA (COMCAM)//
POC/M. ARMISTEAD/LTCOL/UNIT: COMMUNICATION DIRECTORATE/TEL: COMM 703-614-1494//
Gentext/Remarks/1. This message announces the CMC-directed name change of the Office of U.S. Marine Corps Communication (OUSMCC) to communication Directorate (CD).
1.A. The name change reflects the newly established COMMSTRAT OccFld, which was created through the merge of the PA and COMCAM OccFlds as an element of force modernization.
1.B. The re-designation of OUSMCC to CD is administrative in nature. The office's mission, tasks, and organization remain the same.
2. This message also directs the standardization of naming conventions for the 45XX COMMSTRAT OccFld to ensure the new capability is easily identified across the Marine Corps. As the 45XX OccFld Proponent, Director of Communication (DIRCOMM) (formerly Director OUSMCC) directs the immediate implementation of the following:
2.A. All 45XX offices adopt the title Communication Strategy and Operations, as reflected in the Marine Corps Total Force Structure Management System. Note the title does not include the word "office" or “StratComm.”
2.B. All 45XX Marines adopt the abbreviation COMMSTRAT for Communication Strategy and Operations.
2.C. All 45XX Marines adopt the abbreviation COMMSTRAT as the Originators Code for naval correspondence. As part of the letters Authorized Identification Symbols, this code appears in the upper right hand corner of naval correspondence. Specifically, the code goes above the date and below the Standard Subject Identification Code.
2.D. All 45XX offices adopt CMST as the Marine Online platoon code.
2.E. The above direction applies, but is not limited to: building and office signage, official mailing addresses, letterhead, Department of the Navy Tracker accounts, Defense Travel System accounts, Government Commercial Purchase Card accounts, budget lines of accounting, command rosters, Global Access List information, e-mail signature blocks, business cards, and other similar means of communication.
3. COMMSTRAT Operational Advisory Group (OAG) members will brief their command's implementation of this guidance at the next OAG in February 2019.
4. The COMMSTRAT title is not to be confused with the term strategic communication, which is no longer a doctrinal term used within the Department of Defense.
5. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
6. Release authorized by Brigadier General William H. Seely III, Director of Communication.//