FISCAL YEAR 2019 (FY19) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) ENLISTMENT BONUS (EB) AND MONTGOMERY G.I. BILL-SELECTED RESERVE (MGIB-SR) KICKER
Date Signed: 9/11/2018
MARADMINS Number: 499/18
R 111150Z SEP 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/RA WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2019 (FY19) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) ENLISTMENT BONUS (EB) AND MONTGOMERY G.I. BILL-SELECTED RESERVE (MGIB-SR) KICKER//
REF/A/TITLE 37 U.S. CODE//
AMPN/REFERENCE (A) IS U.S.C. TITLE 37 PAY AND ALLOWANCES OF THE UNIFORMED SERVICES//
POC/J. U. ARELLANO/CAPT/UNIT: RA (RAP)/TEL: 703-784-9136/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/A. S. TAUALA/SSGT/UNIT: RA (RAM)/TEL: 703-432-9771/EMAIL: RAM-1@USMC.MIL//
POC/G. VILLASENOR/GYSGT/UNIT: MCRC (NPS)/TEL: 703-432-9671/EMAIL: GUSTAVO.VILLASENOR@MARINES.USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Effective 1 October 2019, this MARADMIN implements guidance of the FY19 Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Enlistment Bonus (EB) and Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Kicker in accordance with the reference. The SMCR EB amount is 3,000 dollars. The MGIB-SR Kicker amount varies up to 350 dollars a month for no more than 36 months. This message is divided into two sections to separate the SMCR EB from the MGIB-SR Kicker.
2. Selected Marine Corps Reserve Enlistment Bonus
a. Administrative Guidance
(1) Marine Corps Recruiting Command (MCRC) G-3 is the only entity authorized to submit requests to Reserve Affairs Management (RA (RAM)) for this incentive.
(2) Submit all requests to RAM via the RAM-1 organizational email: RAMfirstname.lastname@example.org.
(3) The applicable bonus program code for the EB is “Z7”.
(4) Upon approval of the request, RA (RAM) will issue a Bonus Control Number (BCN).
(5) RA (RAM) will return the request with the assigned BCN and validation signatures to MCRC G-3 via email.
(6) MCRC G-3 will enter the assigned BCN into the Marine Corps Recruiting Information Support System (MCRISS) and forward the approval to the appropriate district.
(7) Prior to shipping to recruit training, the applicant must complete an approved statement of understanding (SOU) (HQMC RAP form number 7220R Z7 SRIP) attached to the Reserve Optional Enlistment Program (ROEP) Annex for the EB. The Marine Corps Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) liaison must validated the SOU.
(8) Upon receipt of a completed scanned PDF copy of the SOU, the MCRC G-3 will forward a PDF copy of the SOU to RA (RAM) via email.
(9) CMC (RA) will monitor and track the applicant’s accession status. Once accessed, RA (RAM) will coordinate the reporting of the appropriate obligation remark to update the applicant’s Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) record for the SMCR EB lump sum payment. Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) for enlisted Marines is defined as Recruit Training, Marine Combat Training, and Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) school. Payment will post upon completion of IADT and once the SMCR unit joins the Marine to the appropriate Reporting Unit Code (RUC).
(10) MCRC G-3 will notify RA (RAM) via the organizational email (RAMemail@example.com) in the event a BCN revocation occurs or an applicant fails to ship. RA (RAM) will revoke an EB when the Marine is no longer eligible for the incentive prior to receiving payment.
b. Eligibility Criteria
(1) Enlist to a Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting (RA (RAP)) validated Quota Serial Number (QSN) between 1 October 2018 and 30 August 2019.
(2) Enlist under the ROEP with a 6x2 obligation and complete all required training for assignment to the contracted MOS and SMCR unit.
(3) Applicants who enlist under the Incremental Initial Active Duty Training (IIADT) program are not eligible, with the exception of the modified IIADT for Primary Military Occupational Specialty (PMOS) 0321 Reconnaissance Marine.
(4) Marines reclassified to an alternate MOS during IADT for any reason (no fault of the Marine) will not lose their eligibility for an SMCR EB. Marines failing to meet the prerequisites for the contracted MOS or due to academic failure will forfeit the incentive.
c. Reclassification Guidance. If RA (RAM) issues a Marine a SMCR EB BCN, and the Marine undergoes a subsequent reclassification to another MOS, the Reserve Training Liaison (RTL) will:
(1) Process the MOS reclassification in accordance with current procedures.
(2) Submit to RA (RAP) the initial unit and MOS assigned to the Marine, the new unit and MOS assignment, the reason for reclassification, and the Marine’s request for approval to retain the SMCR EB upon reclassification.
(3) Update the Marine’s record upon RA (RAP) approval for the newly assigned MOS and authorization to retain the issued SMCR EB.
(4) Notify RA (RAM) via the organizational email (RAMfirstname.lastname@example.org) of the MOS reclassification and provide a copy of the RA (RAP) approval letter as source documentation to correct the Marine’s obligation remark within MCTFS.
(1) Recipients will incur a 6-year service obligation in the SMCR.
(2) Marines must complete all required training for assignment to the contracted MOS and SMCR unit.
(3) Serve satisfactorily during the service obligation.
(4) Marines who do not complete their 6-year service obligation are subject to review for administrative separation from the Marine Corps. Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command (COMMARFORRES) shall review administrative separation packages and recoup the unearned bonus previously received.
e. Recoupment. In accordance with the SOU, recoupment will occur after a Marine receives payment. The payback for the EB will be at a prorated amount.
f. Recoupment will not occur under the following conditions:
(1) A requirement exists for a Marine to involuntarily transfer to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) due to a unit deactivation, re-designation, or disability.
(2) A requirement exists for a Marine to involuntarily reclassify into another MOS within the SMCR that does not rate the EB.
(3) A Marine accepts a commission or an appointment to warrant officer in the Selected Reserve (SelRes) and has served at least one year of the incentive service obligation.
3. Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve Kicker
a. Administrative Guidance
(1) MCRC G-3 is the only entity that has authorization to submit requests to RA (RAM) for this incentive.
(2) MCRC G-3 will approve and enter an assigned Kicker Control Number (KCN) into MCRISS and forward the approval to the appropriate district. MCRC G-3 will provide a monthly report to RA (RAM) on assigned KCNs.
(3) Prior to shipping to recruit training, the applicant must complete an approved SOU (RA RAP form number 1560R Z8 MGIB-Kicker) attached to the ROEP Annex for the MGIB-SR Kicker. The Marine Corps MEPS liaison must validate the SOU.
(4) Upon receipt of a completed scanned PDF copy of the SOU, the MCRC reserve procurement chief will forward it to RA (RAM) via the organizational email (RAMemail@example.com).
(5) MCRC Reserve Procurement Chief will notify RA (RAM) via the organizational email (RAMfirstname.lastname@example.org) in the event of a revoked KCN and when an applicant fails to ship.
b. Eligibility Criteria
(1) Enlist to a RA (RAP) validated QSN between 1 October 2018 and 30 August 2019 under the ROEP with a 6x2 obligation.
(2) Meet all eligibility criteria for the MGIB-SR per reference (a).
(3) Applicants who enlist under the IIADT program option are eligible upon completion of the first increment of training.
(1) Recipients will incur a 6-year service obligation.
(2) Marines who do not complete their 6-year service obligation are subject to review by COMMARFORRES for administrative separation from the Marine Corps.
(3) Submit requests for early release or deferment of the 6-year service obligation to COMMARFORRES for approval.
4. Marines are authorized to receive the EB and MGIB-SR Kicker concurrently.
5. Due to finite incentive funds, availability of the SMCR EB and MGIB-SR Kicker is on a first come, first serve basis.
6. Reserve Applicability. This MARADMIN is applicable only to the Reserve Component.
7. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2019.
8. Release authorized by Colonel J. M. Morrisroe, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//