FISCAL YEAR 2019 (FY19) ACTIVE RESERVE (AR) ALIGNMENT PLAN (ARAP)
Date Signed: 9/12/2018
MARADMINS Number: 506/18
R 121830Z SEP 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2019 (FY19) ACTIVE RESERVE (AR) ALIGNMENT PLAN (ARAP)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20110502
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20110606
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20171219
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS MCO 1040R.35, RESERVE CAREER PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (B) IS MCO 1001.52J, ACTIVE RESERVE SUPPORT TO THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE. REFERENCE (C) IS MARADMIN 688/17, REVISION TO THE RESERVE CAREER PLANNING CONTACT RECORD NAVMC 10213A AND AMPLIFYING GUIDANCE TO CONDUCTING CAREER PLANNER AND COMMANDING OFFICER INTERVIEWS. POC/J. U. ARELLANO/CAPT/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-9136/EMAIL: RAP(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/K. L. BROWN/MGYSGT/RA (RAP) (RETENTION SNCOIC)/TEL: (703)784-0583/EMAIL: KEVIN.L.BROWN5(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/K. A.THOMAS/MSGT/RA (RAM) (0200-2100 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0526/EMAIL: KEVIN.A.THOMAS1(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/P. A. CAMPO/MSGT/RA (RAM) (0111 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0529/EMAIL: PHILLIP.CAMPO(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/I. S. STEWART/MSGT/RA (RAM) (3000-5700/8014 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0528/EMAIL: IAN.S.STEWART(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/V. ALABRE/MSGT/RA (RAM) (6000-7000 MONITOR)/TEL: (703)784-0527/EMAIL: VANES.ALABRE1(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/A. A. MARSELLA/GYSGT/RA (RAM) (RETENTION CHIEF)/ TEL: (703)784-9141/EMAIL: ANDREW.MARSELLA(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the commencement of the FY19 Active Reserve (AR) Alignment Plan (ARAP). The purpose of the ARAP is to balance the AR enlisted career force inventory while retaining quality Marines. AR Marines should contact their unit career planner for more information and compliance with this message
2. Background. Retaining our best non-commissioned officers and staff non-commissioned officers is critical to mission accomplishment. Commanders must be actively involved in retention efforts to ensure we retain our best Marines and attain our enlisted inventory goals by military occupational specialty (MOS).
a. All AR Marines with an end of current contract (ECC) during FY19 must submit for reenlistment via Total Force Retention System (TFRS) no later than 30 November 2018. Marines must meet service limitation requirements contained in reference (b). Major subordinate command (MSC) career planners are directed to identify the FY19 ARAP cohort and disseminate to unit career planners.
b. Per reference (c), commanding officers and career planners will conduct interviews with 100 percent of their FY19 ARAP population and record the interview utilizing either the AR Initial Interview, AR End of Active Service (EAS) interview or unscheduled interview option as applicable within the TFRS Interview Management Module no later than 1 October 2018. In addition to interview topics as outlined within reference (a), career planners must capture the Marines intent to either remain on the AR Program or exit upon completion of his or her current EAS. Upon completion of the interview, the unit administrative section will run the appropriate entry utilizing the “TTC 788 000 RER FLAG” in the Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) to indicate whether the Marine intends to or do not intend to reenlist no later than 15 October 2018. Reserve Affairs Personnel Management Branch (RA (RAM)) will track the completion status of interviews and the Marines intent to reenlist via MCTFS to assess the status of the cohort in an optimal manner. The unit administrative section should refer to the MCTFS Pruim for unit diary entry instructons.
c. Marines who do not submit for further service prior to the applicable submission deadline will be conveying that their intent is to either exit the AR Program or retire. This does not apply to Marines who are unable to submit beyond their control, e.g. enlisted career force controls (ECFCs), medical, and legal. Marines who meet all reenlistment criteria and fail to submit prior to the FY19 ARAP submission deadline will require an endorsement with justification from the first O-6 level commander within their chain of command.
d. Commanders are authorized to utilize a local command authority (LCA) extension to adjust the EAS of eligible AR Marines who have an EAS between 1 October 2018 and 28 February 2019 to 31 March 2019 in order to await a response from RA (RAM) on a pending reenlistment request. When generating the NAVMC 321a, cite this MARADMIN number as the authority. Non-career designated AR Marines may already have the sufficient contractual time but lack the required EAS. If the reserve expiration of current contract (RECC) is not sufficient, then an extension of enlistment is authorized. Upon execution and reporting of the extension as necessary, the command will adjust the Marines EAS, not to exceed 31 March 2019. For additional guidance on reporting the extension of enlistment on non-career designated Marines, refer to the MCTFS Prium, paragraph 30303.1b.
e. All requests submitted in accordance with this message will be processed no later than 28 February 2019. Requests submitted after the specified deadline may not receive favorable consideration for further service.
f. Commanders are not authorized to use LCA extensions which would result in a Marine with an ECC in FY19 being adjusted into FY20.
4. Commanders Recommendation. The commanders input is a critical part of the retention decision. All unit commanders/inspector-instructors, and sergeants major/first sergeants are encouraged to make detailed comments advocating for or against retention.
5. Comparative Assessment. All Marines who submit for reenlistment will be ranked against each other. Variables used in the assessment include but are not limited to average proficiency and conduct marks in service, physical fitness test and combat fitness test scores, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program level, meritorious promotion to current grade, current performance, and future promotion potential.
6. RA (RAM) will publish targeted FY19 ARAP allocations for each MOS via TFRS.
7. In an effort to maintain FY19 ARAP ECC cohort integrity, an exception to policy has been authorized to allow Active Reserve Marines to execute extensions greater than 23 months in length for the purpose of gaining the necessary required obligated service for permanent change of station orders (PCSO), Transfer of Eligibility Benefits (TEB), and Special Duty Assignment (SDA). Submit all extension requests to Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps via TFRS.
Approval authority for extensions of enlistments, other than LCA extensions, resides with RA (RAM).
8. FY19 ARAP TFRS Reserve Reenlistment Extension Lateral Move (RRELM) submission period will begin 5 October 2018. RELMs received prior to 5 Oct 2018 will be administratively closed with no action taken. RA (RAM) will publish a specific type of RELM applicable to AR Marines via TFRS message prior to 5 October 2018.
9. Marines must accept or decline all approved FY19 ARAP RELMs in TFRS no later than 30 September 2019.
10. Release authorized by Colonel J. M. Morrisroe, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//