MARADMINS : 590/18
R 152105Z OCT 18
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/2018 DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE EXCELLENCE IN PRIMARY PREVENTION AWARD WINNER//
POC/L. REED/CIV/UNIT:MFB/-/TEL:703-784-9049/EMAIL: LINDSAY.REED@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the United States Marine Corps winners for the Department of Defense (DoD) Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office’s (SAPRO) annual Excellence in Primary Prevention Award. This award recognizes those who have carried out significant efforts in the primary prevention of sexual assault.
2. Background. Each October, DoD SAPRO sponsors recognition for an individual, group, or unit from each Military Service, component, or organization for their work in advancing the primary prevention of sexual assault. Six awards will be presented, one to each of the Military Services, the National Guard Bureau, and the Coast Guard.
3. Congratulations to Marie Brodie, Pamela Alberti, and Mika Haberlin, installation Sexual Assault Response Coordinators (SARCs) of Marine Corps Base (MCB) Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) New River for being selected as the Marine Corps winners for the DoD Excellence in Primary Prevention Award. Ms. Brodie, Ms. Alberti, and Ms. Haberlin demonstrated exceptional effort to strengthen sexual assault prevention for the MCB Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) programs.
4. The installation SARCs developed a primary prevention program called New Beginnings for the Marine Corps Installations-East Brig. New Beginnings uses best practices and evidence-based research to enhance the skills of men to be allies in the fight to end sexual violence. This is an innovative collaboration with the Prison Rape Elimination Act Program that enhances participants’ understanding of their role in ending sexual violence.
5. Competition was keen and all nominees are commended for their superior devotion to the Marine Corps SAPR Program.
6. Awardees will be recognized by DoD in October 2018.
7. This MARADMIN is cancelled 1 September 2019.
8. Release authorized by M. C. Balocki, Director, Marine and Family Programs Division.//