R 172136Z JUN 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS(UC)//
SUBJ/121ST HOSPITAL CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. On behalf of the U.S. Marine Corps, it is my great pleasure to recognize the U.S. Navy Hospital Corps for 121 years of exceptional service.
2. The Hospital Corps traces its roots back to the Revolutionary War, when the Continental Congress ordered the creation of a medical department under Article 16 of the Rules for the Regulation of the Navy of the United Colonies of North America. President William McKinley approved the official establishment of the U.S. Navy Hospital Corps on 17 June 1898.
3. Over the years, those serving in vital medical support roles have been branded Loblolly Boys, Surgeon's Stewards, Apothecaries, Baymen, Pharmacist's Mates, and Hospital Corpsmen. Though the titles changed, the hallmarks of this specialty have remained constant. Each generation has added to the legacy of professionalism, valor, and sacrifice “Docs” have demonstrated in every clime and place.
4. Hospital Corpsmen repeatedly prove their mettle on every battlefield, putting their own lives on the line whenever they hear the call “Corpsman Up!” The men and women of the U.S. Navy Hospital Corps have distinguished themselves serving alongside Marines in the fiercest of battles. Marines proudly count our “Docs” among our closest comrades-in-arms.
5. Congratulations on the 121st Birthday of the Hospital Corps. We greatly appreciate the dedicated and selfless service of our Nation's Corpsmen.
6. Semper Fidelis, Robert B. Neller, General, U.S. Marine Corps, Commandant of the Marine Corps.//