R 201744Z JUN 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FY20 FUNDING LIMITS FOR MARINE OFFICERS PARTICIPATING IN COMMANDANTS EDUCATION BOARD CIVILIAN EDUCATION PROGRAMS//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1524.1, MARINE CORPS GRADUATE EDUCATION PROGRAM (MCGEP). REF B IS SECNAVINST 1520.7G, LAW EDUCATION PROGRAM. REF C IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY. REF D IS MCO 1900.16 CH2, MARINE CORPS SEPARATION AND RETIREMENT MANUAL (MARCORSEPMAN).//
POC/SCOTT A. HUMR/MAJ/MMOA-3/USMC/DSN 278-9285/TEL (703)784-9285 EMAIL: SMBMANPOWEROFFICERPR@USMC.MIL//
POC/LEAH M. GONNELLA/MAJ/MMOA-3/USMC/DSN 278-9285/TEL (703)784-9285 EMAIL: SMBMANPOWEROFFICERPR@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce Fiscal Year 2020 guidance on funding for Marine officers participating in funded graduate education at civilian institutions for programs selected under the Commandants Education Board (CEB).
2. The Marine Corps leverages the use of civilian universities to fill validated requirements that require the following graduate-level degrees:
Masters of Environmental Law 4406
Mass Communications and Media Studies 4505
Education Officer 8802
3. Tuition. Tuition and required academic fees are paid by Education Command directly to the students respective educational institution. Optional student fees are the responsibility of the student. Officers selected will contact the Commanding General, Education Command (CG, EDCOM) at MCU_Fiscal@usmcu.edu to obtain a third-party billing letter. The email must contain the schools name and physical address: the students name: student identification number: student EDIPI: MARADMIN number showing the students selection: the name, phone number, and email address for the schools third party billing office. CG, EDCOM will provide a third party billing letter with instructions for tuition payments to the student and the schools third party billing office. It is the students responsibility to ensure the school receives the letter and the tuition is paid.
3.a. Tuition for Marines slated for the education officer and historian programs as a result from selection by the CEB may not exceed 17,500 dollars per year for degree programs lasting up to two years. Any tuition cost exceeding 17,500 dollars per year for degree programs lasting up to two years will be borne by the Marine.
3.b. Tuition for Marines slated for the Mass Communications and Media Studies at San Diego State University as a result from selection by the CEB is fully covered by EDCOM.
3.c. Marines selected for a Masters in Environmental Law as a result from selection by the CEB should apply to several law school programs. Judge Advocate Division (JAD) will subsequently select the appropriate school to attend based on best value to the Marine Corps. Tuition will be fully covered by EDCOM based on JADs law school recommendation.
4. Marines slated for programs as a result of the FY20 CEB must submit requests for tuition payments in accordance with the instructions in paragraph 3.
5. Book Stipends. Marines participating in these programs will rate one book stipend per academic year.
5.a. FY20 annual book stipend rate is 400 dollars per academic year. Book stipends will be paid once per academic year. EDCOM will pay book stipends directly to the student and in parallel with tuition payments. Full social security numbers are required for payment and may be requested by the EDCOM Financial Management Office if they cannot be otherwise obtained. Reimbursement for parking fees and other discretionary fees is not authorized.
6. Application Fees. Marines participating in these programs as a result from selection by the CEB may submit claims for reimbursement for school application fees by contacting the CG, EDCOM at MCU_Fiscal@usmcu.edu. A receipt showing a 0.00 dollar balance and the selection MARADMIN or a copy of official orders to a CEB authorized program must be attached to the email.
6.a. Maximum allowable reimbursement for application fees will not exceed 300 dollar. Application fees exceeding 300 dollar will be borne by the Marine.
7. Officers who have participated in the Advanced Degree Program or other CEB programs prior to FY19 are not eligible to submit for reimbursement.
8. This MARADMIN is not applicable to Marines participating in the Advanced Civilian Schools Program (ACSP), Expanded Advanced Degree Program (EADP) or Funded Law Education Programs (FLEP).
8.a. This MARADMIN is not applicable to Marines participating in the Doctor of Philosophy Programs (PHDP).
8.b. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
9. Release authorized by MajGen Craig C. Crenshaw, Director, Manpower Management Division.//