R 031919Z JUL 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC JA//
SUBJ/USMC FY19 VICTIM-WITNESS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (VWAP) TRAINING//
NARR/REF A IS THE MARINE CORPS ORDER IMPLEMENTING THE VICTIM-WITNESS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.//
POC/L. C. BUXTON /SGT/JAD/TEL: 703-693-8955//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. General. This MARADMIN announces the USMC FY19 Victim-Witness Assistance Program (VWAP) Training from 26 to 28 August 2019 at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Arlington, Virginia.
2. Background. As established in reference (a), the Marine Corps provides victims and witnesses necessary support and information through the VWAP during the adjudication of their cases.
A. In order to ensure trained VWAP personnel are available to support victims and witnesses, HQMC, Judge Advocate Division (JA) sponsors annual VWAP training. The training provides Regional and Installation Program Managers (Victim Witness Liaison Officers (VWLO)) and other Marine VWAP representatives with a basic understanding of the VWAP, the roles and responsibilities of supervisors and other personnel under the VWAP, and how to properly assist victims of crime.
B. In accordance with the reference, the curriculum includes, but is not limited to:
(1) VWAP Overview and Article 6b of the UCMJ, (2) DoD VWAP Updates, (3) SAPR/VWAP Interaction, VWLO, Victim-Witness Assistance Coordinators (VWAC), and Legal Officer Responsibilities, (4) FAP Overview, (5) Legal Assistance to Victims, (6) VLC Role, (7) Court-Martial Process Overview, (8) Corrections VWAP Role, Transitional Compensation, (9) Transitional Compensation, (10) Impact of Crime on Victims, (11) Communicating with Victims, (12) the Crime Victims' Rights Act (CVRA), (13) VWAP Commanding Generals Inspection Program, (14) Article 139 Complaints, and (15) Best Practices.
4. Eligibility. The following personnel are eligible to attend this training: VWLOs, Unit VWACs, Unit Legal Officers, Legal Services Support Team VWACs, and other Civilian or Marine Corps personnel who have a mission essential need for this training. Coordinating instructions on venue, lodging, uniform, and course materials will be forwarded to all registered attendees by 9 August 2019.
5. Funding. HQMC (JA) will fund travel for out of the area Regional and Installation VWLOs. HQMC (JA) has limited funding available for other VWAP personnel interested in attending and will be granted on a first come, first served basis. For those who do not receive funding from HQMC (JA), travel and per diem costs will be the responsibility of the parent command.
6. Registration. To register for the USMC FY19 VWAP Training, e-mail Sgt Lauren Buxton, USMC, at firstname.lastname@example.org with FY19 VWAP Training Registration” in the subject no later than 9 August 2019. State in your email if you are requesting funding.
7. Cancellations must be received no less than five working days prior to the convening date and may be made via email. Attendees are responsible for cancelling any flight, room, or rental car reservations previously made.
8. Release authorized by MajGen D. J. Lecce, Staff Judge Advocate to the Commandant of the Marine Corps.//