R 161340Z JUL 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI//
SUBJ: EXPEDITIONARY WARFARE SCHOOL DISTANCE EDUCATION PROGRAM CURRICULUM TRANSITION FROM 8660 TO 8670 SERIES//
POC/S.D.WEINSTEIN/CIV/COLLEGE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION AND TRAINING, EWSDEP ASSOCIATE DEAN OF ACADEMICS/DSN 278-5448/EMAIL: STUART.WEINSTEIN@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN describes the transition plan from the current Expeditionary Warfare School Distance Education Program (EWSDEP) 8660 curriculum to the new 8670 curriculum which commences 1 July 2020.
2. The College of Distance Education and Training (CDET) will implement a new EWSDEP curriculum commencing with Academic Year 2021. The new 8670 program has been designed as an all-seminar experience. There is a self-paced prerequisite which will be available on 1 January 2020 in order to provide sufficient time for completion prior to seminars commencing.
3. Starting on 1 January 2020, all students enrolling in EWSDEP for the first time will begin the 8670 prerequisite course. Starting on 1 July 2020, all students who have completed the 8670 prerequisite course may enroll in the 8670 program. Students currently enrolled in the 8660 program will have until 30 June 2020 to complete that curriculum. Those not complete by 30 June 2020 will be transitioned to the 8670 curriculum. See equivalencies in paragraph 5.
4. The enrollment deadline for 8661 and 8662 self-study is 31 December 2019. The completion deadline for 8661 and 8662 self-study courses is 30 June 2020.
5. The 8670 curriculum will be comprised of a short prerequisite online self-paced course (workload equivalent to six weeks of distance education program seminar) and four, 16-week seminar courses. All four seminar courses will be offered each fall and spring semester. The default for completing the program will be the onsite weekly seminar or weekend seminar where available. For officers unable to participate in an onsite weekly or weekend seminar an online weekly seminar is offered. Authorization for students to take an online seminar will be made by the respective CDET regional director.
6. For students who are enrolled in the 8660 series but are unable to complete the curriculum prior to 30 June 2020, equivalency credit for 8660 courses will be granted as follows:
8671: must have completed 8661.
8672: must have completed 8662.
8673: must have completed 8664.
8674: must have completed 8663.
7. No partial equivalencies will be granted. Equivalency for 8660 coursework will terminate on 30 June 2023.
8. Prospective Expeditionary Warfare School Blended Seminar Program (EWSBSP) students must complete the prerequisite prior to applying for all EWSBSP classes commencing after 1 July 2020.
9. Students will submit enrollment requests for the 8670 prerequisite beginning on 1 January 2020 through MARINENET, Course Code: EWSDEPPREQ. Instructions for requesting enrollment in seminar for 8671 will be in the prerequisite course site.
10. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Eric M. Smith, Commanding General, Marine Corps Combat Development Command//