R 261247Z AUG 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI//
SUBJ/RESULTS OF THE MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS) 3RD QTR FY19 STUDY REVIEW BOARD AND THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR 4TH QTR FY19 AND 1ST QTR FY20//
REF/A/MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI/R 271900Z AUG 18//
REF/B/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/-/25SEP08//
NARR/REF A ANNOUNCED THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR THE RESULTS FOR 3RD AND 4TH QTR FY19. REF B IS MCO 3902.1D, MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS).//
POC/JAMES A. EVANS/GS15/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8124/EMAIL: JAMES.A.EVANS@USMC.MIL//
POC/WILLIAM M. COX/GS12/OAD/-/TEL: 703-784-6007/EMAIL: WILLIAM.M.COX@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Per reference (A), this message announces the results of the Call for Studies for the 3rd Quarter (QTR) of FY19 and announces the Marine Corps Studies System for the study for the 4th Qtr of FY 19 and 1st Qtr of FY20.
2. Tier I nominations are those considered appropriate, and meet the criteria provided in reference (B) as delineated by the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) and Deputy Commandant for Combat Development and Integration (DC, CD and I), these nominations will commence as studies as soon as possible. Tier II nominations are those found to be analytically sound, but either cannot be executed with available resources and/or require further development (e.g. refinement of study scope).
3. The following studies nomination are Tier I (sponsor in parentheses).
3.A. Future Expeditionary Shipping Requirements (DC, CD and I). This will be a CD and I led study with the following two study nominations executed as subordinate and supporting efforts.
3.A.1. MARFORPAC Forward Prepositioned Requirements: Does Maritime Prepositioned Force Still Make Sense? (CG, MARFORPAC).
3.A.2. Maritime Prepositioning Force in support of Expeditionary Advance Based Operations (DC, CD and I).
3.B. MAGTF Design, Posture, and Engagement Plans for National Defense Strategy (NDS) Implementation (Lead sponsor TBD). This study will combine the following three study nominations.
3.B.1. Marine Corps Roles in Great Power Competition (CG, MCWL).
3.B.2. Balancing Force Optimization toward High End Warfighting or Long-Term Competition (CG, I MEF).
3.B.3. Lessons Learned from the Cold War and Two Major Theater War Strategies and Implications for Implementing the NDS (CG, MARFORCOM).
3.C. Navy and Marine Corps Integration (Lead Study Sponsor TBD). This study will combine the following two study nominations.
3.C.1. Naval Staff Integration (CG, II MEF).
3.C.2. Tactical Integration of Navy and Marine Corps Capabilities (CG, II MEF).
3.D. MAGTF Expeditionary C2 in Support of Navy and Joint Force Operations (CG, MCWL).
3.E. Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) Unmanned Expeditionary (MUX) Platform Alternative Mix Study (DC, CD and I).
3.F. Logistics Vehicle Mix Study (DC, CD and I).
3.G. Terrestrial Sensors for Expeditionary Advanced Base Operations (DC, CD and I).
3.H. Impacts to Sustainment from the use of Alternatively Powered Ground Vehicles by the Marine Corps (CG, MCWL).
3.I. Data-Driven Process to Link Readiness to Warfighting Performance at Service-Level Training Events (CG, TECOM).
3.J. GCE Training Readiness and Force Generation (DC, PP and O)
3.K. Managing Talent in the Future Force (Lead Sponsor TBD). This study will combine the following two study nominations.
3.K.1. Developing a Framework for Talent Management in the Marine Corps (CG, TECOM).
3.K.2. The Role of Lateral Entry Recruiting in Building the Future Force (CG, MCRC).
3.L. Social Analysis of Young American population (DC, M and RA). This study will combine the following two study nominations.
3.L.1. Social Analysis of Young American Population (DC, M and RA).
3.L.2. Understanding the Environmental and Social Factors of Alcohol use and Misuse in the USMC (DC, M and RA).
3.M. Historical Vulnerability Factors to Support Casualty Estimations (DC, M and RA).
4. The following studies are Tier II:
4.A. Tactical Use of Signature Management during MAGTF Operations (CG, MCWL).
4.B. Space Capabilities and MAGTF Intelligence Operations (Lead sponsor TBD). This study will combine the following two study nominations.
4.B.1. Examining MAGTF Intelligence Operations without Satellite Communications (SATCOM) (CG, MARFORCOM).
4.B.2. Space Domain Modeling Improvement (CG, MCWL).
4.C. Future Ground Combat Element Counter UAS for MAGTF Operations (DC, PP and O).
4.D. Live, Virtual, and Constructive Solutions to Mitigate Amphibious Training Gaps (CG, MARFORCOM).
4.E. Amphibious Assault Vehicle (AAV) Sustainment Study (DC, CD and I).
5. The Operations Analysis Directorate (OAD) government study lead appointed to oversee each accepted study will contact the agency POC as provided in the study nomination to prepare for study execution. Those study nominations not listed above were declined for execution. POCs for declined study nominations will be contacted via email by the Director, External Analysis Division, OAD.
6. Marine Corps Commands and Activities that have commissioned studies and analysis outside of the Marine Corps Studies System (MCSS) are required to notify OAD (C 19) of such initiatives, to include the purpose and scope of their respective efforts. Additionally, electronic copies of completed studies and analytical efforts shall be provided to OAD (C 19) for inclusion into the MCSS repository. This can be accomplished by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. This message also announces the MCSS Call for Studies for the 4th QTR of FY 19 and the 1ST QTR of FY20 and solicits nominations for relevant and impactful studies. The nomination period ends 23 October 2019 with the Studies Review Board (SRB) scheduled for 30 October 2019.
7.a. Nominations may be submitted at any time; however, non-urgent requirements will be held until the next SRB.
7.b. Study nominations related to direction and guidance contained in the 38th Commandant’s Planning Guidance will be given precedence over all others.
8. Assistance and consultation in shaping study nominations is available from the Director, External Analysis Division, OAD, Mr. James Evans at email@example.com. To obtain additional information regarding OAD study nomination submissions, please visit http:(slash)(slash)www.mccdc.marines.mil/Units/OAD/Marine-Corps-Study-System.aspx.
9. Questions regarding the MCSS process may be directed to William Cox, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Eric M. Smith, Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration.//