R 091425Z SEP 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC CD WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/CALL FOR MARINE CORPS NOMINATIONS USO GEORGE VAN CLEAVE MILITARY LEADERSHIP AWARD 2019//
POC/RANDOLPH/CAPT/CMC WASHINGTON DC CD/ TEL: 410-507-9502/EMAIL: COLLEEN.RANDOLPH@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN announces and solicits nominations for the 2019 United Services Organization (USO) of Metropolitan New York George Van Cleave Military Leadership Award.
2. The George Van Cleave Military Leadership Award is the USO’s way of publicly honoring and thanking the outstanding commitment, exceptional service, sacrifice and achievements of service members who have shown extraordinary dedication to our country. Reflecting the enduring legacy of the U.S. military and mission of the USO, the award will be given to one individual in each branch of service, who through their selfless commitment to our country, inspires others and uplifts the spirits of their comrades, their families, and the American people.
3. The award will officially be presented at the 58th USO Armed Forces Gala and Gold Medal Dinner 4 December 2019 at the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York, NY.
a. The award recognizes active-duty military (E6 and below, or O3 and below) who:
(1) Demonstrate bravery and leadership in the course of his or her service.
(2) Enhance morale and personal welfare of others.
(3) Through their sacrifice, inspires other individuals or groups.
b. Nominees must be able to travel to New York City to receive the award at the USO Armed Forces Gala and Gold Medal Dinner on 4 December 2019.
4. Nomination packages. Nomination packages must contain these elements:
a. Narrative description. Must be in a personal letter format, contain no more than 500 words, meet the criteria specified in paragraph 3.a., and highlight any recent deployments or achievements and how they benefited the military or civilian community.
b. A biography detailing service to date.
c. High resolution photo in uniform.
5. Deadline. Nominations must be received by the USO no later than 10 October 2019 via email to GVC@usonyc.org.
6. Logistics and expenditures: Transportation and lodging for the award recipient and one accompanying guest will be provided by the USO. Using this message as a reference, the recipient’s command is encouraged to issue Permissive Temporary Additional Duty (PTAD) orders so the recipient may attend the ceremony. Specific coordinating details, to include travel arrangements and uniform requirements, will be sent to the award recipient by the USO following the selection process. For additional information about this program, contact Ms. Jessica McAndrews of the USO at (212)695-5590 ext. 241.
7. The award recipient may accept these benefits under authority 5 CFR 2635.204(d), upon a written determination by his/her command ethics official that the award is made as part of an established program of recognition.
8. Release authorized by Brigadier General Sean M. Salene, Director of Communication, Headquarters Marine Corps.//