R 141353Z NOV 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2021 (FY21) ACTIVE RESERVE SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT VOLUNTEER PERIOD (ARSDAVP) AND INCENTIVE//
REFERENCE A IS MCO 1326.6 SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SCREENABLE BILLETS AND INDEPENDENT DUTY ASSIGNMENTS (SCREENMAN). REFERENCE B IS MARADMIN 438/19 SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS AND SCREENABLE BILLETS INCENTIVES FOR FISCAL YEAR 2021. REFERENCE C IS MARADMIN 581/19 COMBAT INSTRUCTOR DUTY. REFERENCE D IS NAVMC 11704, COMMANDING OFFICER’S RECRUITING DUTY SCREENING/INTERVIEW GUIDE. REFERENCE E IS NAVMC 11705, COMMANDING OFFICER’S SCREENING/INTERVIEW GUIDE - DRILL INSTRUCTOR DUTY. REFERENCE F IS NAVMC 11708, COMMANDING OFFICER’S SCREENING/INTERVIEW GUIDE – MARINE COMBAT INSTRUCTOR DUTY. REFERENCE G IS NAVMC 11711 COMMANDING OFFICER’S FINANCIAL WORKSHEET. REFERENCE H IS MCO 1020.34H MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS. REFERENCE I IS MCO 1040R.35 RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE J IS MARADMIN 052/19 OFFICIAL MILITARY PERSONNEL FILE (OMPF) PHOTOGRAPH GUIDANCE. REFERENCE K IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENTS POLICY.//
POC/RONALD T. GARNER/LTCOL/MPO-40/DSN 278-9563/COMM (703)784-9563//
POC/PHILIP A. CAMPO/MSGT/ RAM-2/DSN 278-0529/COMM (703)784-0529//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message initiates the FY21 Active Reserve Special Duty Assignments Volunteer Period (ARSDAVP) and provides coordinating instructions for requesting billets as Prior Service Recruiters (PSR), Drill Instructors (DI), and Marine Combat Instructors (MCI). Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC), Reserve Affairs Management (RAM) aims to select and assign the most qualified and capable AR Marines to duties as PSR, DI, and MCI. This message also announces the applicability of the SDA Incentive outlined in references (b) and (c) to Active Reserve Marines.
2. Background. A successful SDA tour makes a Marine exceptionally competitive for promotion. In addition to opportunities for SNCO meritorious promotions and financial incentives, a SDA tour is intellectually rewarding and physically and mentally challenging. In order to allow volunteers to have the first opportunity available for FY21 SDA billets, HQMC (RAM) is conducting a volunteer submission period through 8 January 2020, preceding the involuntary screening and assignment period.
3. Eligible Marines. During FY21 ARSDAVP HQMC is accepting volunteers from all MOSs. All Marines that meet the following criteria will be eligible for the incentive outlined in reference (b):
a. Marines with more than 12 months Time-On-Station (TOS) in a geographical location may be eligible to volunteer and are encouraged to contact their career planners for more information.
b. Marines who have executed a lateral move into their present MOS are not eligible to submit for voluntary assignment unless they have completed a minimum of 36 months in that MOS prior to class start date.
c. Marines who have previously completed an SDA must have a minimum of 24 months TOS prior to class start date.
d. Corporals are only eligible to volunteer for MCI. Sergeants and above will be screened by Commanders for all of the available AR SDA opportunities (PSR, DI and MCI).
4. Submission Guidelines. Marines who wish to volunteer for assignment to an SDA must submit a SDA RELM using the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to HQMC (RAM-2) with the assistance of the unit career planner NLT 2359 EST, 8 January 2020. Packages failing to meet the minimum requirements as outlined below will be returned without action pending additional information. Career planners will utilize SDA with reenlistment or extension RELM types when submitting packages in accordance with separate guidance published via TFRS.
a. Career planners should include a comment in the RELM about the Marine’s preference.
b. Interested Marines are required to be screened by Commanding Officers, utilizing the instructions, checklists, and PSR screening addendum available at: https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/RAM2/pages_sdaspecialdutyassignments and via TFRS.
c. Sergeants and above will schedule an interview with the nearest PSR career recruiter. The uniforms for this interview is the uniform of the day. Marines need only have in their possession the PSR screening addendum. Telephonic screenings may be conducted with career recruiters if a Marine is deemed unavailable by Command leadership who will coordinate the telephonic screening. The final page of the PSR screening addendum must be signed by the career recruiter and returned to the Marine to be submitted as part of the SDA RELM.
(1) The following are contact numbers for each PSR District
1st PSRS - (516)824-3095
4th PSRS - (717)836-1098, 1105
6th PSRS - (843)228-4428
8th PSRS - (817)738-6350, 6260
9th PSRS - (847)688-7129, 7144
12th PSRS - (760)725-4158
d. Medical Screening. Marines must be medically and dentally fit to serve on SDA and MCI duty. Due to the unique nature of each assignment, Medical Officers are encouraged to utilize the instructions provided with each checklist for guidance. A physical exam must be conducted within 12 months of the class reporting date but is not required for initial screening. During final certification Medical Officers will confirm there has been no change in status from initial screening. Commanding Officers will conduct final certification by personally interviewing the Marines.
e. Proof of security clearance or open investigation. All Applicants must have their security manager complete a security clearance verification letter and include this letter in their package.
f. All Marines registered with the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) must identify this during the screening interview. Enrollment in the EFMP does not disqualify the Marine, however, the location of assignment will be based on the recommendation of the HQMC EFMP Coordinator.
5. SDA Package guidance. Each package will include, at a minimum, the following items:
a. NAVMC 11537A (Rev. 1-2015) RELM with chain of command comments and recommendations.
b. Applicable Screening Checklists, per guidance provided in paragraph 3.d, and Financial Worksheet provided via sources identified in paragraph 4.c.
c. 360 degree photos in green on green PT gear, as well as individual photos or sketches of all tattoos. Utilize measuring tools provided in reference (g) for any tattoos in or near areas prohibited by the reference.
d. Records of disciplinary actions contained in the Marines service record.
e. Security Clearance Eligibility Letter.
f. Final page of the PSR screening addendum.
g. DTS Cross Organization Worksheet.
6. Released authorized by Colonel R. H. Pitchford, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//