R 031545Z DEC 19
SUBJ/ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE 2019 USO GEORGE VAN CLEAVE MILITARY LEADERSHIP AWARD MARINE CORPS RECIPIENT//
POC/RANDOLPH/CAPT/CMC WASHINGTON DC CD/ TEL: 646-476-3811/EMAIL: COLLEEN.RANDOLPH@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the recipient of the 2019 United Services Organization (USO) of Metropolitan New York George Van Cleave Military Leadership Award.
2. Background. This award honors the outstanding commitment, exceptional service, sacrifice and achievements of service members who have shown extraordinary dedication to our country. Reflecting the enduring legacy of the U.S. military and mission of the USO, the award will be given to one individual in each branch of service, who through their selfless commitment to our country, inspires others and uplifts the spirits of their comrades, their families, and the American people.
3. Congratulations to Captain Richard A. Hayek, 12th Marine Corps District, for being selected by the USO of Metropolitan New York as the Marine Corps recipient of the 2019 George Van Cleave Military Leadership Award.
4. Throughout his almost 23 years of service, Captain Hayek has demonstrated bravery, leadership, and service in every phase of his career. On December 22, 2004, Captain Hayek’s convoy was attacked by a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device that critically wounded seven Marines. Amidst the chaos and danger of burning ordnance, Captain Hayek moved to the burning wreckage without regard for his own safety in order to coordinate the air evacuation and secure the site, ultimately saving lives. Off the battlefield, Captain Hayek founded "Vets 4 Vets," a student organization at Ohio State University. Captain Hayek created the concept of a veteran student housing program which resulted in the purchase of a house through the Major Lawrence Miller Fund, for student veterans transitioning to civilian life. Captain Hayek’s initiative and selflessness on and off the battlefield serves as a model to emulate.
5. The award will be presented at the 58th USO Armed Forces Gala and Gold Medal Dinner, held at the Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York, NY, on 4 December 2019.
6. Release authorized by BGen Sean M. Salene, Director of Communication.//