R 271605Z DEC 19
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/ACTIVE RESERVE AVIATOR RETURN TO SERVICE PROGRAM//
REF/A/DOC/MCO 1001.52K/YMD: 20190215//
REF/B/DOC/DODI 1304.34/YMD: 20160711//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS THE MARINE CORPS ACTIVE RESERVE PROGRAM ORDER. REFERENCE (B) IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 1304.34 GENERAL BONUS AUTHORITY FOR OFFICERS. REFERENCE (C) IS THE MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTION MANUAL.//
POC/E. L. REDMON/MAJ/ACTIVE RESERVE CAPTAIN AND MAJOR AVIATION MONITOR/TEL: (703) 784-0530/EMAIL: ERYN.REDMON@USMC.MIL//
POC/S. B. SIMMONS/MAJ/RAM-1/TEL: (703) 784-9746/E-MAIL: STEPHEN.B.SIMMONS@USMC.MIL//
POC/A. C. DINSDALE/LTCOL/4TH MAW G-1/TEL: (504) 697-7769/E-MAIL: ALAN.DINSDALE@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Active Reserve Aviator Return to Service Program offers a path for prior Active Reserve aviators to return to the Active Reserves (AR) in order to fill critical aviation shortfalls through a non-board process.
a. Previous AR Aviators returning to the AR will be re-assessed to fill aviation (75XX) billets only. Billet assignment will be per the needs of the AR. Priority of assignment will be Duty Involving Flying Operations at the squadron level to include but not limited to VMM-764, VMM-774, VMFA-112, VMFT-401, VMGR-234, VMR Andrews, and VMR Belle Chasse.
b. Aviators returning to the AR under this program will incur a minimum 24 month service obligation and must assess not later than 30 September 2020.
c. Aviators with a PMOS of 7509, 7523, 7532, 7557, 7563, 7565, and 7566 are eligible to apply. Aviators with a PMOS of 7523, 7532 and 7557 will be given priority consideration.
d. Aviators having previously been career designated on the AR will automatically be career designated upon re-accession.
e. Aviators having not previously applied for AR Career Designation will be eligible to apply for Career Designation via the AR Career Designation Board process after re-accession.
2. Eligibility Criteria
a. Aviators must complete any current service obligation prior to requested accession date. Waivers for obligated service incurred due to receiving an SMCR affiliation bonus will be considered on a case by case basis.
b. Captains having not previously been considered for O4 on an Active Reserve promotion board, and having more than 10 years active duty service (>3,653 active duty points) are eligible to apply.
c. Majors having not previously been considered for O5 on an Active Reserve promotion board, and having more than 12 years of active duty service (>4,383 active duty points) are eligible to apply.
d. Majors having been previously considered for O5 on an Active Reserve promotion board and not selected, and having more than 15 years of active duty service (>5,479 active duty points) are eligible to apply.
e. Lieutenant Colonels and Lieutenant Colonel selects are not eligible to apply.
f. Aviators having applied for but not offered AR Career Designation are not eligible to apply.
g. Must not have more than 18 years of active duty service (<6,575 active duty points).
h. Must be medically qualified and in receipt of a current medical up-chit.
3. Application Process
a. Aviators interested in applying must submit an AA Form with requested re-accession date and choice of 24 or 36 month obligation to RAM with an endorsement from the first O5 commander in the chain of command. Required documents are annotated on the enclosure portion of the AA Form sample located in the references section of the Officer Accession Board website located at: https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil, Reserve Marine, Reserve Affairs (RA), Personnel Management (RAM), Active Reserve Assignments (RAM-2), Officer Accessions. Aviators serving in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) do not require an endorsement.
b. Contact RAM-2 for desired billet availability.
a. In accordance with the references, under this program, Aviators may apply for a 24 month or 36 month officer retention bonus in the amount of 20,000 dollar lump sum for a 24 month service obligation or 30,000 dollar lump sum for a 36 month service obligation upon re-accession to the AR. Officers with 16 or more years of active duty service are not eligible per reference (b).
b. Once joined to the AR program, eligible officers must submit an incentive request through their unit career planners via the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to RA.
c. A completed and signed statement of understanding (SOU) must be submitted with the TFRS request prior to issuance of the bonus. SOUs can be obtained on the RAM-1 website located at https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil, Reserve Marine, Reserve Affairs (RA), Personnel Management (RAM), Enlisted Accessions, Retention, Training (RAM-1), Link to References.
d. RA will adjudicate and return the officer incentive request via TFRS to the unit career planner with the following items:
(1) RA endorsed SOU with bonus approval or disapproval.
(2) Incentive Administrative Reporting Guidance document.
e. Once the officer incentive request is accepted in TFRS, the following actions are required:
(1) The unit career planner must:
(a) Enter the acceptance date in TFRS.
(b) Provide the endorsed SOU, Incentive Administrative Reporting Guidance document, and TFRS approval to the unit’s administrative section for appropriate action.
(2) The unit’s administrative section must:
(a) Verify MCTFS D302 screen to validate posting of the obligation remark.
(b) Report the Reserve BIC via the Inventory Development Management System (IDMS), bonus PEF code, and applicable bonus entry per the Incentive Administrative Reporting Guidance document via the Unit Diary/Marine Integrated Personnel System (UD/MIPS).
(c) E-mail the RA endorsed SOU to Manpower Management Records and Performance (MMRP) Branch for inclusion into the member’s Official Military Personnel File to email@example.com.
f. Payment will execute upon completion of all MCTFS reporting and posting requirements in accordance with reference (c).
g. All requests must be submitted to RAM-1 via TFRS not later than 10 September 2020 for processing.
h. All approved bonuses must be paid by 24 September 2020.
5. Obligation. Recipients of this bonus incur a 24 or 36 month service obligation dependent on whether the 24 or 36 month incentive is selected in the AR program beginning on the date joined to the AR.
a. Recoupment will occur if the AR officer:
(1) Fails to fulfill obligated service in the AR program;
(2) Augments to the Active Component;
(3) Transfers to the Individual Mobilization Augmentee program, Selected Marine Corps Reserve, or Individual Ready Reserve;
(4) Transfers to another Service;
(5) Separates from the Marine Corps for reasons other than designated in paragraph 6b;
(6) Aviators who lose designation as a Naval Aviator except as specified in paragraph 6b;
(7) Aviators terminated on duty involving flying operations assignment or Aviation Incentive Pay except as designated in paragraph 6b; or
(8) Medical incapacitation or physical disability resulting from misconduct, gross negligence, or resulting from a period of unauthorized absence.
b. Officers will not be subject to recoupment if eligibility is terminated for the following reasons:
(1) Involuntary separation from military service by operation of law, or involuntary separation by operation of military service or DoD policy (except separation of dismissal for cause, resignation in lieu of Court Martial, or processing for administrative separation).
(2) Death or disability, including medical grounding of suspension, which is not the result of misconduct, willful negligence, and not resulting from a period of unauthorized absence.
7. The retention incentive is distributed as a lump sum of 20,000 dollars for the 24 month service obligation or a lump sum of 30,000 dollars for the 36 month service obligation, less any applicable taxes. Lump sum payment will not be paid out until the member is joined to the AR program.
8. Due to finite funds, incentives will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted.
9. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2020.
10. Release authorized by Colonel R. H. Pitchford, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//