R 211930Z JAN 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/SINGLE MARINE PROGRAM 25TH ANNIVERSARY ANNOUNCEMENT//
POC/MICHAEL A. BROWN/UNIT: MFS/-/TEL: 703-784-6342/EMAIL: MICHAEL.BROWN@USMC-MCCS.ORG//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. In 2020, the Single Marine Program (SMP) celebrates its 25th Anniversary with a year-long calendar of events and promotions.
2. Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) across all installations will launch an awareness campaign to commemorate this significant anniversary. The campaign will highlight the benefits that the SMP continues to provide across the Marine Corps.
3. In 1993, the Marine Corps conducted a survey that indicated 43 percent of Marines were not happy with many aspects of Marine Corps life. The “Marsh Study” was conducted in 1994 to identify causes for poor retention rates among first-term Marines. As a result, in 1995 the SMP was initiated to provide a forum for Marines to identify quality of life issues and recommend solutions to their commands.
4. Today, the SMP takes pride in representing and empowering single Marines and providing recreational and community involvement opportunities for those participating in the program. All MCCS Marketing and SMP personnel are encouraged to partner in promoting the program’s 25th Anniversary aboard their installations.
5. Commands are encouraged to host and promote all 25th Anniversary activities, consistent with operational commitments, including recreation, volunteer, and digital outreach events. Annual SMP events, like the 2020 SMP Days of Service (19-25 April) and SMP Leadership Symposium (14-16 July), will also highlight the anniversary through special branding and recognition.
6. Commanders will ensure the widest dissemination of this message to all SEA/SMP coordinators/SMP council reps/command teams.
7. Release authorized by SES M. C. Balocki, Director, Marine and Family Programs, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//