R 061746Z FEB 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC I//
SUBJ/UPDATE REGARDING ASSIGNMENT OF TWO MODALITY SCORES ON THE ORAL PROFICIENCY INTERVIEW//
REF/B/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD:20170417//
REF/C/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD:20140204//
REF/D/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD:20160927//
NARR/ REF (A) IS THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE (READINESS) MEMO PUBLISHING THE AUTHORIZATION TO ASSIGN TWO MODALITES FOR THE RESULTS ON THE ORAL PROFICIENCY INTERVIEW. REF (B) IS THE NAVY AND MARINE CORPS PUBLICATION ON THE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALITIES PROGRAM, NAVMC 1200.1C. REF (C) IS THE MARINE CORPS ORDER ON CLASSIFICATION TESTING, MCO 1230.5C. REF (D) IS THE MARINE CORPS ORDER ON THE FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY BONUS PROGRAM, MCO 7220.52F.
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN announces updates within Marine Corps policy governing the assignment of language classification test scores in accordance with ref (a). This MARADMIN authorizes the assignment of scores in two modalities for results on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) for select Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC) personnel as determined by the authorities and procedures outlined in the references.
2. Assistant Secretary of Defense announced via ref (a) an exception to Department of Defense Foreign Language Proficiency validation testing policy. This Exception to Policy authorizes the assignment of scores in two modalities for results on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) in order to meet Service specific requirements.
3. This exception to policy is only applicable to Marines with the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 0370 or 0372, in order to support MOS requirements prescribed in reference (b).
4. When scheduling an OPI for PMOS 0370/0372 Marines via the OPI Authorization Reporting System, Testing Control Officers (TCO) shall select ”SOCOM” in the Reason Code. When selecting this Reason Code, TCOs will verify that the “Dual Modality” radial is automatically checked. Eligibility requirements for OPIs remain in effect IAW the current version of reference (c).
5. In accordance with reference (a), an OPI score may be assigned for the listening modality equal to the score of the speaking modality, up to and including Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) skill level 4. For speaking results above ILR level 4, the participatory listening skill score will be assigned as ILR 4 score.
6. Effective date published.
7. Point of contact. Primary POC is: MarineCorps_ForeignLanguageProgram(at)usmc.mil.
8. Release authorized by Ms. J. D. Cole, SNIS, Intelligence Community Coordinator, Director of Intelligence, U.S. Marine Corps.//