R 251455Z FEB 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG TECOM QUANTICO VA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2020 COMBAT MARKSMANSHIP SYMPOSIUM POST SYMPOSIUM MESSAGE//
REF/C/MCRP 8-10B.2 RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP//
REF/D/MCRP 8-10B.3 PISTOL MARKSMANSHIP//
REF/E/CMS CHARTER/JULY 2011//
REF/F/MISSION CAPABLE RANGES WORKING GROUP CHARTER/29 MARCH 2019//
NARR/REF A IS THE MARINE CORPS ORDER FOR THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT MARKSMANSHIP PROGRAMS (MCCMP). REF B IS THE MARINE CORPS ORDER FOR THE COMPETITION IN ARMS PROGRAM. REF C IS THE MARINE CORPS REFERENCE PUBLICATION FOR RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP. REF D IS THE MARINE CORPS REFERENCE PUBLICATION FOR PISTOL MARKSMANSHIP. REF E IS THE COMBAT MARKSMANSHIP SYMPOSIUM (CMS) CHARTER WHICH CAN BE VIEWED AT: HTTPS:(SLANT)(SLANT)WWW.TRNGCMD.MARINES.MIL/UNITS/NORTHEAST/WEAPONS-TRAINING-BATTALION. REF F IS THE MISSION CAPABLE RANGES WORKING GROUP CHARTER WHICH WAS CO-SIGNED BY COMMANDING GENERAL (CG), TRAINING AND EDUCATION COMMAND (TECOM) AND CG, MARINE CORPS INSTALLATIONS COMMAND//
POC/A. L. VIGGIANI/CWO4/DIRECTOR, MARKSMANSHIP PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SECTION (MPMS), WEAPONS TRAINING BATTALION (WTBN) QUANTICO/COMM: 703-784-5161/EMAIL: ANTHONY.VIGGIANI@USMC.MIL//
POC/G. J. BENSINGER/CIV/DEPUTY DIRECTOR, MPMS, WTBN QUANTICO/COMM: 703-784-5217/EMAIL: GERRY.BENSINGER@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Fiscal Year 2020 CMS convened from 7 to 11 October 2019 aboard Marine Corps Base Quantico in order to provide a forum from which the marksmanship community-of-interest and key Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) principals gather the collective input, experience, and insights to collaboratively: (1) identify gaps in marksmanship capability and capacity; (2) validate requirements; (3) develop solutions; and (4) communicate prioritized viable options and information updates through Training Command and TECOM to Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration, (DC, CD&I). Per references A and E, DC, CD&I delegates WTBN Quantico the responsibility to maintain the MCCMP. Commanding Officer (CO), WTBN supervises the MCCMP which includes the maintenance of the MCCMP order, the development, maintenance, and update of all master lesson files and other supporting documentation for conducting marksmanship training throughout the Marine Corps.
2. The CMS provides a forum where authorized decision makers representing the Fleet Marine Force, supporting establishment, entry level training continuum, and HQMC, meet to identify and discuss current challenges to the MCCMP and modernization initiatives to improve marksmanship lethality. The CMS provides senior leadership a true picture of our current state of marksmanship, recommendations for improvement, and proposed solutions to identified issues.
3. For Fiscal Year 2020 the following working groups (WG) convened: WG1 Weapons (Enduring), WG2 Range and Facilities Requirements Plan (Enduring), WG3 Institutional Marksmanship Programs, WG4 Competition in Arms Program, and WG5 Simulations and Distance Learning.
4. The Executive Steering Committee brought forward the following items that were approved by the Marine Corps Combat Development Command chain of command:
4.A. DC, CD&I concurs with CG TECOM to authorize Phase II testing of the Annual Rifle Qualification (ARQ) that is proposed to replace the current Annual Rifle Training (ART). Temporary authority has been granted to CO WTBN to award an ARQ conversion score which meets current ART requirements for all participants who complete the ARQ course of fire. Phase II testing will be conducted throughout the Fleet Marine Force and Supporting Establishment during Fiscal Year 2020 in coordination with Marine Corps Forces Command, Marine Corps Forces Pacific, and Marine Corps Forces Reserve.
4.B. DC, CD&I, authorizes the conversion of sanctioned Civilian Marksmanship Program and National Rifle Association service rifle and National Match rifle scores into a current ART table one score. This policy change will be announced via separate MARADMIN.
4.C. DC, CD&I authorizes the awarding of Excellence in Competition credits for action shooting matches toward earning the title of Distinguished Riflemen or Distinguished Pistol Shot. Details will be released via separate MARADMIN.
4.D. DC, CD&I authorizes the release of the Fiscal Year 2020 Authorized Weapons, Optics, and Modular Attachments MARADMIN; to be released no later than the end of the second quarter Fiscal Year 2020.
4.E. As per reference F, WTBN Quantico will serve as a Tier II Advisory Member to the Mission Capable Ranges Working Group (MCRWG) during periodic and on-call meetings. As such, WTBN Quantico will serve as a conduit between the MCRWG and the marksmanship community-of-interest regarding prioritized submissions for marksmanship range maintenance and modernization issues.
5. Action Items: WTBN Quantico will take action on all items listed in paragraph 4 of this message in coordination with appropriate commands and entities. WTBN will update all members of the CMS Executive Steering Committee throughout the fiscal year on action items and current initiatives.
6. CMS Way Forward. The CMS met its intent to gain a clear picture of the current state of Marine Corps marksmanship and the steps needed to implement improvements. The Fiscal Year 2021 CMS will be held 5 to 9 October 2020. WTBN, Quantico will release a calling message in April of 2020 for submission of topics for the Fiscal Year 2021 CMS.
7. Direct any questions or requests to obtain reference materials posted on the WTBN Quantico website to the point of contacts listed above.
8. Release authorized by Major General William F. Mullen III, Commanding General, Training and Education Command.//