R 041837Z MAR 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS OBSERVANCE OF APRIL 2020 SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS AND PREVENTION MONTH//
POC/R. FRANKLIN/CIV/UNIT: MFB/-/TEL: 703-432-9708/EMAIL: ROBERT.FRANKLIN@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the Department of Defense (DoD) and Marine Corps observance of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM) in April 2020.
2. Background. April is nationally recognized as Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. April 2020 will mark the 16th annual DoD observance of SAAPM with the ongoing theme, “Protecting Our People Protects Our Mission.” This theme emphasizes that every Service Member, regardless of rank, can help ensure mission readiness by encouraging behaviors that foster a climate of dignity and respect. SAAPM is an opportunity to highlight Marine Corps Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) progress and ensure momentum continues.
3. Marine Corps leaders work diligently to ensure command climates that combat sexual assault, encourage reporting, and are free from retaliation. Commanders, Sexual Assault Response Coordinators (SARCs), SAPR Victim Advocates (VAs), medical providers, counselors, and Victims’ Legal Counsel provide responsive, sensitive, and timely support for victims of sexual assault. Investigative agencies and judge advocates ensure each Unrestricted Report of sexual assault properly advances through the military justice process. Most notably, Marines of all ranks are taking action to prevent sexual assault and eliminate retaliation against those who report.
4. Marines are encouraged to show their support to the SAPR program by attending locally scheduled events during the 2020 SAAPM. Please see your SARC or SAPR VA for a list of SAAPM events or to help organize an event.
5. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
6. This MARADMIN is canceled 1 May 2020.
7. Release authorized by M. C. Balocki, Director, Marine and Family Programs Division.//