R 081912Z JUN 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FORTHCOMING CHANGES TO MCO P1400.32D, MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS//
REF/A/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASH DC MMPR-2/YMD 20120614//
REF/B/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASH DC MMEA-1/YMD 20100908 //
REF/C/MSGID:DOC/CMC WAS DC MM/YMD 20191030//
NARR/REF (A) IS MCO P1400.32D, MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS. REF (B) IS MCO 1040.31 ENLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. REF (C) IS MARADMIN 612/19 ANNOUNCEMENT OF AUTHORITY FOR EARLY REENLISTMENT, DELEGATION OF REENLISTMENT APPROVAL AUTHORITY, AND CHANGES TO PROMOTION REQUIREMENTS POLICY//
POC/LINDSAY D. PERRY/GYSGT/MMPR-2/-/TEL: (703) 784-9718/ DSN: 278-9718/EMAIL: LINDSAY.PERRY@USMC.MIL//
POC/A. CRUZ/MGYSGT/CMC MMEA-1/-/TEL: (703) 432-9125/ DSN: 378-9125/EMAIL: ARBENZ.CRUZ@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Promotion to SNCO grades in the Marine Corps is an honor with attendant responsibilities and expectations. Marines selected for promotion are expected to serve in the grade to which selected. This Marine Administrative Message (MARADMIN) serves as an update to reference (a). As announced in reference (c):
1.a. Beginning in January 2020, the time in service (TIS) requirement for promotion to Sergeant was increased from 24 months to 48 months.
1.b. Additionally, the TIS requirements for promotion to Staff Sergeant increased from 48 months to 60 months and the time in grade (TIG) requirements increased from 27 months to 36 months. For active component Marines, this change is in effect for the FY 2020 Staff Sergeant Selection Board that is scheduled to convene in July 2020. For reserve component (RC) Marines, this change is in effect for the FY 2021 Reserve Staff Noncommissioned Officer (SNCO) Selection Board which will convene in January 2021.
1.c. Finally, commencing in July 2020, Marines who are selected to the rank of Staff Sergeant must have at least 24-months of obligated service remaining on contract beginning on the date of their promotion.
2. This MARADMIN announces additional obligated service requirements for SNCO promotions.
2.a. Commencing in July 2020, Marines who are selected to the ranks of Staff Sergeant through Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant to include meritorious promotions must have at least 24-months of obligated service remaining on contract beginning on the date of their promotion.
2.b. For RC Marines, this change will commence in January 2021. Obligated service refers to the Marines’ Reserve End of Current Contract (RECC).
2.c. This obligated service is required to ensure that Marines have sufficient time on contract to complete grade required PME and career progression training that will enhance their potential to be successful at performing their new duties and associated increased responsibilities.
3. Upon release of the Staff Sergeant through Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant selection lists, Marines who are selected will submit to CMC (MMEA), or CMC (RA) for RC Marines, via the Total Force Retention System, the necessary reenlistment or extension request to acquire the obligated service requirement. CMC (MMEA)/CMC (RA) will approve the request prior to the Marine’s eligible promotion date.
4. If a Marine refuses to extend or reenlist to have sufficient obligated service, the commander should inform the CMC (MMPR-2) of the Marine’s refusal via naval letter, see Figure 3-2 of reference (a). The CMC (MMPR-2) will remove the Marine’s name from the appropriate selection list and the Marine will become ineligible for promotion consideration in the future.
5. This policy change applies to the Marine Corps Total Force.
6. Release authorized by LtGen Michael A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//